Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccines during pregnancy?

Options
  • 11-01-2020 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭

I am wondering if there are any vaccines recommended during pregnancy?

I am attending my GP and haven't received appointment from maternity hospital yet.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The whooping cough vaccine is recommended from 16 weeks and the flu vaccine is also recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,759 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Thanks so much.

Are these covered under public scheme? And is it the GP who would administer it?
    The whooping cough vaccine is recommended from 16 weeks and the flu vaccine is also recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Thanks so much.

Are these covered under public scheme? And is it the GP who would administer it?

They are both covered and your GP would do them. Flu should be given as soon as possible especially with how bad the flu season is this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Redser87

You could also get the flu vaccine in any chemist. If you're on combined care though, you'll be going to your GP anyway. Definitely worth doing.

I am on combined care.

Visited GP twice but he didn't mention any vaccine.

Saw some articles that these vaccine may be linked to autism. But this appears to be not true.
    Redser87 wrote: »
    You could also get the flu vaccine in any chemist. If you're on combined care though, you'll be going to your GP anyway. Definitely worth doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Saw some articles that these vaccine may be linked to autism. But this appears to be not true.

Try to get all of your information regarding vaccines from the HSE or NHS websites. They are perfectly safe and will provide your baby with immunity for the first few weeks of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think whooping cough is recommended after 16 weeks, but I’m not positive!

When you make your next appointment with your GP, specify that it's to get your vaccines. And don't buy into the anti-vaccination stuff. Many of my family and friends are in the medical field and they all say that the studies are not peer reviewed and that the science and methodologies are iffy at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

Try to get all of your information regarding vaccines from the HSE or NHS websites. They are perfectly safe and will provide your baby with immunity for the first few weeks of their life.

This one hundred per cent. Your GP will give you leaflets on these vaccines if you wish and these will give you reliable information.

I didn't get the flu vaccine when I was pregnant as I wasn't pregnant during flu season but if I had been I definitely would have.

I think the whooping cough vaccine is so important. I was unable to get the whooping cough vaccine as a baby due to a medical issue and ended up getting whooping cough as a young child. I ended up very sick in hospital in the isolation ward. I wouldn't hesitate to get the whooping cough vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

bee06 wrote: »
    They are both covered and your GP would do them. Flu should be given as soon as possible especially with how bad the flu season is this year.

OP just be advised the vaccines themselves are free during pregnancy but your GP may and can charge an admin fee to administer it. Mine charged for both flu and whopping cough during my pregnancies.

• Advertisement

Thank you everyone. It's clear for me now.

Can maternity hospital also administer vaccines?
    Digs wrote: »
    OP just be advised the vaccines themselves are free during pregnancy but your GP may and can charge an admin fee to administer it. Mine charged for both flu and whopping cough during my pregnancies.

I think if you're on combined care, the expectation is that your GP will administer the vaccines. You could always ring your hospital and ask, but my experience has been that the midwife or consultant will ask if you've had them done with the GP, rather than offering to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Redser87 wrote: »
    I think if you're on combined care, the expectation is that your GP will administer the vaccines. You could always ring your hospital and ask, but my experience has been that the midwife or consultant will ask if you've had them done with the GP, rather than offering to do them.

This is my understanding too. OP I’d ring your GP practise and ask their policy on administration fees. Mine always charged but plenty don’t do yours might not either. Mine also charged for the first apt of combined care when plenty don’t. I’m very happy with my GP but these charges during pregnancy were the only catch for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

HSE have good booklets on both. Flu vaccination is available and advised at any gestation. Whooping cough available from 16-36 weeks gestation. It can be given after that but all vaccinations take approximately 2 weeks for optimum efficacy. If your pregnancy straddles two flu seasons you may need the flu vaccination twice. The most prevalent flu strain at the moment is covered in the flu vaccination. In certain regions of the country there's pertussis outbreaks for the past few years so the HSE would reimburse claims. As a result we didn't charge private patients for that but did the flu vaccination. GMS are obviously covered for both. GP/practice nurse administer them. Hospital wouldn't generally have them in stock aside from occupational health for staff etc. There's all sorts of protocols etc re: vaccinations and storage etc so it doesn't make sense for them to be offering it in outpatient setting.

Advertisement