Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues for GE2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Why would you want more one off housing with all the issues they cause?

because with social housing requirements and bodies like cluid housing running around halving the value of property in private estates soon there will be nowhere for me to buy a house safely away from people who don't contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    Let's get a snapshot of the issues Boards.ie think will dominate the GE2020. I'm, going for rent, homelessness and the HSE. It will be interesting to see how close we are to the national picture later.

my biggest issue would be with rents and property prices for hard working people. Absolutely out of the equation that homelessness can every be solved and as for the HSE? these two moron parties have been running the place that last few decades. We have had two economic booms in that time! Yet its worse than ever... And as far other parties "fixing" it? Even less likely than vardakar actually rewarding workers!

another post mentions USC reform! you serious? it will go up if anything, with FF at the helm! And a stable strong FFG coalition At best we can hope for FG removing varadkar as leader as FG. he is massively toxic, I dont think he is far off Bertie levels of toxic after the crash. And they agree on all key aspects. Not independent gob****e clingers on etc. That realistically is the best hope in my opionion. A crap outcome, but the options are simply appalling here...

tom1ie wrote: »
    HSE trolley crisis, and what each party plans to do about it.
    (throw more money into the black hole) probably wont improve anything, it hasnt so far.
    The transport strategy for the Dublin area and if each party thinks they can speed up the delivery by the nta. (ditch the current plan, endless public consulations, until the next recessions comes along and gives an open goal to ditch what has been years in planning...)
    The environmental plan for the country and if each party plan to raise taxes.
    dont expect much, everything will be deemed "an attack on rural ireland"
    The gap in the state pension eligibility age and the actual retirement age of 65 in most workplaces.
    That's just off the top of my head.

I have answered three of your questions.

because with social housing requirements and bodies like cluid housing running around halving the value of property in private estates soon there will be nowhere for me to buy a house safely away from people who don't contribute.

gated communities arent even allowed anymore! Buy somewhere on a few acres, with nice high walls and gates. Although it wouldnt surprise me at the rate of regression in this country, if any form of barrier into your property is deemed "illegal" in a few years!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I know you guys are probably taking the piss, your posts hint at the bigger issue. Its not exactly a problem with people on social housing but when you get bad apples not allot is done from a the local authority nor the guards.

Its kinda why FG is a bit snookered, as its record on actually being the party of law and order that it trys so hard to embrace that they tried to have a celebration of the RIC is actually quite poor.

• Advertisement

Calhoun wrote: »
    I know you guys are probably taking the piss, your posts hint at the bigger issue. Its not exactly a problem with people on social housing but when you get bad apples not allot is done from a the local authority nor the guards.

Its kinda why FG is a bit snookered, as its record on actually being the party of law and order it trys so hard to embrace so much so that they tried to have a celebration of the RIC is actually quite poor.

take a read of the below thread if you have the time. I said it here endlessly, if you are throwing vast sums at some people, somebody is paying the price and are getting screwed. And the most vulnerable getting screwed, are the working poor renting! Its morally corrupt. They are so resistant to change here, that FG wouldnt even rewards workers, and will possibly lose power over it, despite the fact they would never get a single vote from the welfare class. You have to try and comprehend that! Anyone expecting any change, in health, law and order etc, delusional isnt the word. Like I said, these two clown parties, have been in power decades, two economic booms later and look at the place! JUST LOOK!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058043965&page=8

Idbatterim wrote: »
    take a read of the below thread if you have the time. I said it here endlessly, if you are throwing vast sums at some people, somebody is paying the price and are getting screwed. And the most vulnerable getting screwed, are the working poor renting! Its morally corrupt. They are so resistant to change here, that FG wouldnt even rewards workers, and will possibly lose power over it, despite the fact they would never get a single vote from the welfare class. You have to try and comprehend that! Anyone expecting any change, in health, law and order etc, delusional isnt the word. Like I said, these two clown parties, have been in power decades, two economic booms later and look at the place! JUST LOOK!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058043965&page=8

Its why the housing issue is a smoke screen and the government wont really be held to account on it.

We have let the system get so bad that we now have a trial by media to get a social house, combine that with the lack of will to regulate and manage the housing stock so people are moved to appropriate housing for their needs. If you want a home for life in one place you pay for it, if you want someone else to pay for it then you have to move to whats available. Topping it all off we have people not even paying.

What i am not so sure of though is who is at fault, sure individually the tenants are at fault for not paying but why is the corporations not enforcing collections on them especially when so many others need to be housed.

The system that is a farce and encourages piss taking is primarily at fault. The councils are a farce. Rte should be getting them up on stage about the housing crisis , they are the biggest culprits. Not the sacrificial pawn eoghan Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

Crime in Rural Ireland ie Traveller crime will feature on many doorsteps of towns and villages taken over by drugs/crime.

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Crime in Rural Ireland ie Traveller crime will feature on many doorsteps of towns and villages taken over by drugs/crime.

Nothing sorts this except more prison spaces!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

LuasSimon wrote: »

That's the only place it will be highlighted

Sacred cows of the left have a ring of steel around them when it comes to media reporting

Looks like the government are trying to pin their hopes on Brexit, https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-to-pin-election-hopes-on-brexit-boost-38855983.html

I am not quite sure it is such a wise strategy to but all their eggs in that basket. Brexit has kinda drifted away from the consciousness of late.

Looks like the government are trying to pin their hopes on Brexit, https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/varadkar-to-pin-election-hopes-on-brexit-boost-38855983.html

I am not quite sure it is such a wise strategy to but all their eggs in that basket. Brexit has kinda drifted away from the consciousness of late.

Brexit negotiations. What a great smoke screen it’s been for those morons the last few years. Much like the recession or boom , whether it was ff or fg at the helm , there wouldn’t have been virtually any difference in the outcome. I’m meant to believe that the morons that have failed on every front at home, became some amazing statesmen when it came to Brexit only ? Lol! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Health and housing are 2 main ones by a distance.

Crime is also starting to get little out of hand past few years(some will say much worse I would say)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,532 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

I have answered three of your questions.

Huh?
    Sorry seen your reply’s there.
    Well if whoever gets in, ditches the transport plans for Dublin, for nothing at all I will move to Leitrim.
    The hse deserve not another penny and any party candidate that knocks on my door saying they’ll put more money in will be ran. Efficiency is what we need, not extravagance.
    The last question I had about pensions is massive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Brexit negotiations. What a great smoke screen it’s been for those morons the last few years. Much like the recession or boom , whether it was ff or fg at the helm , there wouldn’t have been virtually any difference in the outcome. I’m meant to believe that the morons that have failed on every front at home, became some amazing statesmen when it came to Brexit only ? Lol! Lol!

Brexit still has not happened and the Irish economy has roared. Now a Hard Brexit is definitely ruled out and all projections indicate further growth in the economy. However, FG keep trotting out statements about the threats to the economy of Brexit as a justification for maintaining punitive budgets and a lack of investment in areas such as affordable housing, income tax breaks for the tax paying workers who are getting poorer each year the last 6 years and public transport. FG will suffer a big hit in the GE or at the very least will barely scrape a lot of seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Went for HSE but over marginally over Crime.

Multi selection of up to 3 would have been nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Housing and the healthcare crisis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

Went for HSE but over marginally over Crime.

Multi selection of up to 3 would have been nice!

I had trouble setting up poll. 3 is the way to go. When I had it done I noticed that I hadn’t transferred one topic and I haven’t seen it raised i.e climate action. The election will probably be announced on Weds or Thursday and this poll closes on Wed. If Boards allows a new one I might set it up In line with your post after the first weekend of campaigning.

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/where-is-the-slowdown-experts-warned-us-about/
    This is what you would expect from an economy motoring along. Corporation tax receipts hit a record of €6.9 billion for the year to October. Corporation tax receipts have more than doubled since 2014 and nearly 50 per cent of the total comes from just 10 firms – again, what you would expect for an economy that has chosen to be a multinational trading entrepot.

Housing remains the big failure but as this column has argued over and over, that is a priority or choice the government and electorate choose to make between the interests of landowners and the interests of workers. It has very little to do with economics and everything to do with political choices.

In 2020, if people want to see lower rents and more homes built, they should vote for the parties they believe will make those choices for them and leave the economy itself to continue on its great evolutionary arc.

totally agree with this from mcwilliams and its obvious about the housing issue. But the party he proposes to vote for, arent pro workers parties. this is the problem, given the financial straight jacket I can see the government being in, in a few years. The only potentially political new tax I can see and would support, would be a site value tax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Think there are 2 election Target Audiences at this stage ie Greater Dublin Area & the Rest of Ireland.
    Dublin will be concerned about transport and housing.
    Rural Ireland will be crime and jobs .
    Both will have health as a issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

Main issues in order;

1. Housing/Rents/Homelessness - all interlinked
    2. Health Care/Cost - Scandals, NCH, Insurance
    3. Crime, Justice & Policing - especially in Rural Ireland
    4. Cost of Childcare
    5. Economy & Jobs

FG will try to spin that Brexit was their main obstacle/achievement and they will now focus on other issues (Health, Housing etc.) and warn voters not to let FF in after the last time.

FF will try to position themselves as more a party for famillies and working people so except huge pledges on housing, rents, childcare, health. Will try to divert criticism about the last time they were in power by saying 'Global Recession' and they made 'Tough Decisions'.

Key question is who will voters forgive more and who they think will better solve the country's problems.

I think FF will get more seats than FG but will go into coalition with Greens, Labour and some Inds if necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

LordBasil wrote: »
    I think FF will get more seats than FG but will go into coalition with Greens, Labour and some Inds if necessary.

I don't believe they will have the numbers for this (though they won't be far off). Paddy Power currently projecting both FF and FG to be round 50 seats. Very hard to put together a majority from there without the involvement of either the other big party or SF...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Housing is the big one for me but I think generally all the scandals will be on people's minds, Farrell, Bailey etc. RIC, NCH, Dara Murphy and so on. Also Varadkar's attitude and persona won't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

Health. The FG proposal in the last few days to solve overcrowded A&Es by shutting them down could come back to bite them especially outside Dublin.

Housing. This will be a major issue in Dublin and the commuter belt. FG candidates will be crucified over this one.

Economy in areas like Tipperary Town etc. Any FG candidate who tries to talk about the great economy in towns like that will risk being lynched never mind not getting votes.

Brexit won't even register as a topic and if FG run on the great job they did on that one it will backfire big-time. United Ireland, Immigration etc will be the preserve of the lunatic fringe.

That said I actually suspect the big issues will be things we don't expect. I can see FG and FF being extremely dirty. If Leo or Michael have any scandal in their closet it will come out. Locally candidates will attack each other with a nastiness we haven't seen before. Fake news and gossip will pop into our social media feeds. Nastiness will be the number one issue in this election.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭LordBasil

I don't believe they will have the numbers for this (though they won't be far off). Paddy Power currently projecting both FF and FG to be round 50 seats. Very hard to put together a majority from there without the involvement of either the other big party or SF...

I think FF will get around 60 Seats (bar 2011, they always do better than polls/bookies predict), Greens about 10, Labour 7 + few Inds = Majority

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Health: Sooner or later someone is going to have to take on the HSE. All the parties are scared stiff though
    Housing: Refusal of any party to address the role immigration has played in the housing crisis will be interesting to see. I think SF are going to be bitten on the arse here.
    Crime and the legal system: FG are the law and order party and they failed miserably here. Don't see any other party doing better despite the fact that its an open goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Agreed.

To be honest, Brexit can't be seen as a "success" for FG.

Whomever was in power during Brexit, had to take the hardest position possible regarding Irish and by extension EU interests.

The fact that our position was supported by, and vital to the integrity of the EU and the single market only strengthened our position.

The UK can bluster all they like, they were and are tied to the GFA, the CTA and our pre EU settlement.
    However Brexit eventually plays out on the withdrawal deal, is a matter for the UK to live with.

Coveney is the only FG'er with any credibility left and much of the N.I and Brexit policy was driven by him rather than Leo.

The legalisation of all drugs.

Would help to actually do something about drug addiction and also help combat crime.

• Advertisement

Dublins appalling transport is a joke! These parties if they have any intention of getting them built, need to approve them asap, sign off on the spend, before economic conditions, put their status in jeopardy! Otherwise its squandered on crap!

Advertisement