Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issues for GE2020

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

I want to hear what MM wants to do about housing. If its more bull**** "down with this" hurling from the ditch I am not interested. Housing is a disgrace, but I want to know what he will do differently!

they are all empty vessels! Full of soundbytes and ****e!

Im going to proper lose it when I start seeing these morons canvassing, because honestly, they are offensive morons, the lot of them! Look at what runs for election here and then you start to see why we have the problems, that we have!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Dublins appalling transport is a joke! These parties if they have any intention of getting them built, need to approve them asap, sign off on the spend, before economic conditions, put their status in jeopardy! Otherwise its squandered on crap!

I think when it comes to transport and a few other issues it shows why we need a stable government with resolve.

One of the big things for transport was the plan for the buses which local nimbyism took greater importance over the wider public. There is no point consulting transport exports from abroad or having the likes of the compulsory purchase orders if we aren't going to use them.

Calhoun wrote: »
    I think when it comes to transport and a few other issues it shows why we need a stable government with resolve.

One of the big things for transport was the plan for the buses which local nimbyism took greater importance over the wider public. There is no point consulting transport exports from abroad or having the likes of the compulsory purchase orders if we aren't going to use them.

no, we should build ten metro lines, to save some people losing a small piece of their front gardens. I believe in Spain, they dont even do public consultations. Whats the point doing one here, all you get is "down with this, careful now" and spineless morons politicians hopping onto every bandwagon they can, instead of actually improving the situation for everyone...

Its total lack of action, that is costing votes! I mean, that they cant see this and try to appease nimbys at the expense of the vast majority of voters, just how stupid are they?

no, we should build ten metro lines, to save some people losing a small piece of their front gardens. I believe in Spain, they dont even do public consultations. Whats the point doing one here, all you get is "down with this, careful now" and spineless morons politicians hopping onto every bandwagon they can, instead of actually improving the situation for everyone...

Its total lack of action, that is costing votes! I mean, that they cant see this and try to appease nimbys at the expense of the vast majority of voters, just how stupid are they?

Exactly the cost benefit of the metro lines compared to a bus corridor that allowed you to have better maneuverability around the city with just having to get on an off a bus quickly is crazy.

We the electorate are partially at fault though, like in my area they are looking at putting in a solar panel farm. I don't know if its cute hoorism (looking for handout) or conspiracy theory from people that is putting the breaks on it.

I do get it though it is a fine balance and people should be compensated but some projects are just so important for the greater good the only argument is how much of a settlement should be given.

not in his constituency, but I am delighted. We have one person running for the Dail, that isnt a spineless lying waster, with some real world experience. Someone who actually had the audacity to speak the truth when he ran for president! That is truly unbelievable in this country!!!

he needs to form a new party though!

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/casey-vows-he-cannot-be-bought-and-will-say-it-as-it-is-as-he-confirms-campaign-to-be-donegal-td-38855671.html

do you already have to be a td to form a new party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

I picked health but to be honest a better way of putting it would be the more broad 'sh1te public services' especially considering some of us are paying confiscatory levels of taxes. And this is with a boom in corporate tax receipts.

I'd level just as much blame at the civil service though. Governments come and go but these anonymous, talentless, paper pushers, lifers in it for the cushy job and pension are as much to blame.

Need to end defined benefit pension for new entrants to public sector, more competitive wages and where possible, performance related pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Dublins appalling transport is a joke! These parties if they have any intention of getting them built, need to approve them asap, sign off on the spend, before economic conditions, put their status in jeopardy! Otherwise its squandered on crap!

Did you see the latest from IR? 3 people collapsed from overcrowding the other morning.

IR solution: Change your hours of work to alleviate the overcrowding. What an absolutely pathetic solution from the money grabbing twats.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Did you see the latest from IR? 3 people collapsed from overcrowding the other morning.

IR solution: Change your hours of work to alleviate the overcrowding. What an absolutely pathetic solution from the money grabbing twats.

IR and all state owned transport, believe the service is only run, to enrich themselves!

A country with staggering amounts of money and we have a third world public transport system, in 2020. After two booms, just absolutely pathetic. I believe no new heavy rail lines has been laid here, in over a hundred years!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Ill be asking candidates their thoughts on

Rte/ licence fee
    Proposed hate speech laws
    Thoughts on minimum alcohol pricing

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

carq wrote: »
    Ill be asking candidates their thoughts on

Rte/ licence fee
    Proposed hate speech laws
    Thoughts on minimum alcohol pricing

And you'll get stock answers to all of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Or as Pat Rabbitte put it on live TV,
    'The sorta things you say prior to an election'.

So Feb 8th it is, I think the best description I have read about why FG have a challenge on their hands is Simon Harris argument that trolly numbers are just one metric he is measured against .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

LordBasil wrote: »
    I think FF will get around 60 Seats (bar 2011, they always do better than polls/bookies predict), Greens about 10, Labour 7 + few Inds = Majority

Looks like the experts agree with you. Or maybe you're one yourself:p

Eoin O'Malley is calling FF 58, Lab 9, Green 7, SD 3. Throw in a few sympathetic Inds and you've got yourself a government:p

https://politicalreform.ie/2020/01/15/early-2020-election-predictions/

Looks like the experts agree with you. Or maybe you're one yourself:p

Eoin O'Malley is calling FF 58, Lab 9, Green 7, SD 3. Throw in a few sympathetic Inds and you've got yourself a government:p

https://politicalreform.ie/2020/01/15/early-2020-election-predictions/

Ouch looks like FG is going to loose 6 seats from the last election. It would be very interesting times with Leo as this is his first election as leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭KWAG2019

One thing that really hits me here is the lack of value put on Defence. Maybe having only one option played into this. Still worrying to see given the crisis in the DF.

KWAG2019 wrote: »
    One thing that really hits me here is the lack of value put on Defence. Maybe having only one option played into this. Still worrying to see given the crisis in the DF.

I am going to be honest I care and don't care within reasons. Grew up next to a career guy in the DF, he was able to afford to buy a house and look after the family on one income even though he didn't rise very high through the ranks.

Those days are gone and we cannot afford to have a low ranking member of the forces being able to support a family all on their own.

Is there a meeting in the middle ? Sure but I don't know what that is. It's currently not a concern for me because I am more concerned about the plight of our vulnerable.

Advertisement