Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster vs. Lyon, Sunday 12th January, 13.00 (BT2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,353 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Big fan of Larmour literally spinning in a circle yet still beating his man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Ref gonna have to look at another card soon if they keep that up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Think Robbie Henshaw really needs to get his passing game going.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Haven't been to the RDS in a few years. Are they handing out multiple high resolution screens to fans, control over replays from multiple angles and the ability to shield crowd noise to aid concentration? Wow, serious advances in gameday experience there.

It's TMO, not CSI. If it can't be seen on a big screen with multiple replays it didn't happen. We can't have a man in a high castle carrying out molecular analysis and calling the shots when nobody else in the stadium can see what he apparently sees (which, moreover, was nothing, in this case;he called it on a hypothesis).

Lyon have infringed a lot on their own line again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,303 ✭✭✭ongarite

Cynical play again from Lyon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Beaker gone to the bin, really need to score from here

Ryle Nugent saying that Lyon have been good on their own line. They have just consistently infringed imo, rather than any serious play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,452 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Can't believe we haven't gone for the corner at some point in this phase, if we thinned them out with 14 we'd be done and dusted by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,433 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Keep ****ing them in the scrum, see if Whitehouse has the balls to send off a second player.

• Advertisement

Beaker gone to the bin, really need to score from here

Two scores I think.

Put the game to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

It's TMO, not CSI. If it can't be seen on a big screen with multiple replays it didn't happen. We can't have a man in a high castle carrying out molecular analysis and calling the shots when nobody else in the stadium can see what he apparently sees (which, moreover, was nothing, in this case;he called it on a hypothesis).

At least you've moved on from bad analogy to bad straw man. The variety is appreciated. TMO has the best tools in the house to make the correct call (which was confirmed by former professionals at half time).

They are killing the time on the clock, sin bin already 3 mins down with no play.

Deegan has been excellent today.

Best Leinster player on the pitch. Just like last week.

Fair play Deegan

Imagine a backrow of Doris at 6, Deegan at 7 and Conan at 8

These scrums have chewed up so much of the yellow card time.

No VDF no party

• Advertisement

Would be great to watch against the weaker sides. But VDF is the best 7 in the country and would also thrive playing alongside any of those lads.

No VDF no party
    Clegg wrote: »
    Would be great to watch against the weaker sides. But VDF is the best 7 in the country and would also thrive playing alongside any of those lads.

Oh absolutely, VdF is in everyone's starting 15 without a doutb, but still the thoughts of a huge backrow with dynamic carriers who can pass/offload at will would be glorious to witness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ryle Nugent saying that Lyon have been good on their own line. They have just consistently infringed imo, rather than any serious play.

Wait, was Nugent commentating for the first half? I thought it was one of the Newstalk/TV3 lads?

Sound wasn't great for the main commentators mic but I was sure it was someone else.

Everything Dave touches turns to gold. He's bloody brilliant right now.

Lyon have been hilariously cynical today

Hurrache wrote: »
    Wait, was Nugent commentating for the first half? I thought it was one of the Newstalk/TV3 lads?

Sound wasn't great for the main commentators mic but I was sure it was someone else.

It sounds like Nugent anyway

• Advertisement

Lyon have been hilariously cynical today

They keep on infringing as soon as Leinster look they might score a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It sounds like Nugent anyway

Yeah, it's Nugent now alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lyon went in heavy on the +40 spread.

Very clinical in the second half. We were far more direct and eked out a lot of pens and a few yellows. The first half was thrilling and we saw some excellent attacking rugby. But the second half we strangled the life out of Lyon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

ongarite wrote: »
    They are killing the time on the clock, sin bin already 3 mins down with no play.

What do you expect them to do.....hurry up? Getting hammered and Leinster not firing on all cylinders.

• Advertisement

Neil3030 wrote: »
    At least you've moved on from bad analogy to bad straw man. The variety is appreciated. TMO has the best tools in the house to make the correct call (which was confirmed by former professionals at half time).

You're not really arguing at all though. You keep reiterating that the TMO has better tools at his disposal. My point is that he shouldn't be allowed to rely on footage nobody else can see to make a decision that overrides the ref's. And I've said why, and you don't care and that's fine.

Deegan with a deserved motm. Think Doris will probably start against Benneton but that's more for his added bulk on an away game. There's nothing between these lads at this stage.

Dunney848 wrote: »
    I think people are forgetting this is a top class Lyon side and they have been playing like it

hqdefault.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Whitehouse is not impressed with his assistant there.

awec wrote: »
    Whitehouse is not impressed with his assistant there.

This is gas.

Wtf now... Let them finish the play and come back if you need to. Which of course you didn't.

Absolute joke of a call by the assistant, laughable really.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Wtf now... Let them finish the play and come back if you need to. Which of course you didn't.

Refs always stop for foul play, especially if it’s against the team in possession.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Absolute joke of a call by the assistant, laughable really.

What was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

A win is a win. Onwards and upwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Mad to think that Leinster had 4 more tries ruled out today. With a little better finishing we could have racked up 70+ out there.

Deegan down for 21 carries with 71 metres made. Ridiculous workrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If the tmo is not seeing the exact same thing as the ref and the spectators then what's the point? The TMO system is supposed to be fair and transparent but if it's based on something only one person has access to it completely undermines that.

The referee is watching the clip on a pixelated big screen, the TMO is watching it on a HD screen right in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,280 ✭✭✭techdiver

You're not really arguing at all though. You keep reiterating that the TMO has better tools at his disposal. My point is that he shouldn't be allowed to rely on footage nobody else can see to make a decision that overrides the ref's. And I've said why, and you don't care and that's fine.

Just on the TMO point. I spoke to Rowan Kitt after a game and he confirmed to me that the TMO does not have access to any additional footage (this myth had floated around for years). The have access to the available streams that are broadcast and that is all. What we see at home is what they see.

KH25 wrote: »
    What was it?

Lyon were on Leinster's 5m line and building momentum, but the AR told the ref there was foul play by Lyon at a previous ruck. Whitehouse went over to the AR and he said he thought he seen a Lyon playing starting a fight and a scuffle breaking out, the TMO replayed it and it was just one of the Lyon players barely pushing James Lowe and play went on.

I still can't believe the no.2 team in France came to the RDS and almost all of their team ran offside at the kick off.

This was a bizarre match. 4 disallowed tries, the fluffed restart, the touch judge denying Lyon a late score and plenty of randomness along the way.

Made it entertaining at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

This TMO crap is destroying the game. Always thought is was a positive up to recently. Spolis the atmosphere.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Almost all of whitehouses games end up stop start messes.

Says enough about him to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭KH25

Lyon were on Leinster's 5m line and building momentum, but the AR told the ref there was foul play by Lyon at a previous ruck. Whitehouse went over to the AR and he said he thought he seen a Lyon playing starting a fight and a scuffle breaking out, the TMO replayed it and it was just one of the Lyon players barely pushing James Lowe and play went on.

Thanks. I was at the game but couldn’t really see anything on the screen when the replay came up. Lot of nonsense from the officials today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

fullstop wrote: »
    The referee is watching the clip on a pixelated big screen, the TMO is watching it on a HD screen right in front of him.

It wasn't a question of image resolution or too few pixels. Nothing was visible on the HD screen that I was watching to indicate a knock on because there was no knock on visible. Even the TMO stated that the knock didn't actually happen but merely that it hypothetically "would have happened".
    techdiver wrote: »
    Just on the TMO point. I spoke to Rowan Kitt after a game and he confirmed to me that the TMO does not have access to any additional footage (this myth had floated around for years). The have access to the available streams that are broadcast and that is all. What we see at home is what they see.

Interesting.

Its immaterial now, but if true that's a fatal blow to the the rationale being advanced here for the ref abrogating his responsibility for decision making and delegating it to the TMO instead, namely that the latter has lots of extra angles that mysteriously only he can see.

It would also explain why in this day and age a TMO could view a video privately but be unable to show it to the referee on request, which always seemed bizarre to me.

Advertisement