Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay for substitute primary teaching?

Options
  • 12-01-2020 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

Just wondering regarding pay while subbing at primary. What do you get paid per day in a normal primary school? I did a days subbing in an Educate Together primary school and got paid €128 by check. Is this correct payment? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Sounds like that was school paid instead of department paid. Check the INTO web page for pay scale for subs. Also it depends on your rate of tax to get your take home pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Sounds like that was school paid instead of department paid. Check the INTO web page for pay scale for subs. Also it depends on your rate of tax to get your take home pay.

Ya I got paid €128 by the school by check. What is a days subbing in a normal primary school? I thought this seemed a bit low. Who would I contact regarding this or get more information.

There’s different scales. Ring the INTO.
    The might have emergency taxed you too.

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Ya I got paid €128 by the school by check. What is a days subbing in a normal primary school? I thought this seemed a bit low. Who would I contact regarding this or get more information.

And why would you not consider Educate Together a normal primary school? Be careful who you say that to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You do know Educate Together is a 'normal' school as well. Don't be saying or typing that anywhere or it will cost you work.

You just got paid by the school direct. Generally when they occurs you don't a pay slip so they pay a little less. Day doesn't count for panel rights purposes in a few years either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

From circular 73/2019 which also gives rates for accumulated holiday pay.
    APPENDIX 1
    (b) PRIMARY: Revised daily/hourly rates with effect from 1 January 2020 for part-time
    and substitute primary teachers who entered teaching on or after 1 January 2011:
    Category Ongoing Rate
    from 1/1/20
    Daily unqualified 131.19
    Hourly unqualified on Payroll 30.66
    Hourly unqualified Substitute 26.24

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0071_2019.pdf

Those are dept rates...school can pay you what they like. You are generally responsible for your own tax etc if paid by cheque unless the school put you through their own payroll.

You do know Educate Together is a 'normal' school as well. Don't be saying or typing that anywhere or it will cost you work.

You just got paid by the school direct. Generally when they occurs you don't a pay slip so they pay a little less. Day doesn't count for panel rights purposes in a few years either.

What I mean is a 'normal' primary school where you are paid by the Department of Education. Who says how much they should pay me?

From circular 73/2019 which also gives rates for accumulated holiday pay.
    APPENDIX 1
    (b) PRIMARY: Revised daily/hourly rates with effect from 1 January 2020 for part-time
    and substitute primary teachers who entered teaching on or after 1 January 2011:
    Category Ongoing Rate
    from 1/1/20
    Daily unqualified 131.19
    Hourly unqualified on Payroll 30.66
    Hourly unqualified Substitute 26.24

https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0071_2019.pdf

Those are dept rates...school can pay you what they like. You are generally responsible for your own tax etc if paid by cheque unless the school put you through their own payroll.

So does this payment seem right then or what do I do? Why does the school pay me instead of the department?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Why would you do some work without asking how much you would be paid?

Why would you do some work without asking how much you would be paid?

Because like 'normal' primary schools there is a set amount you get for a days subbing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 LUFC123

So does this payment seem right then or what do I do? Why does the school pay me instead of the department?

Are you subbing as a qualified teacher or unqualified under Route 3? It is dependent on your tax situation but about €128 is generally what an unqualified will get per day.

Day doesn't count for panel rights purposes in a few years either.
    Do you mean that a day of subbing will count for panel right purposes if payment for it is processed through the Department but not if it is processed through the school?

LUFC123 wrote: »
    Are you subbing as a qualified teacher or unqualified under Route 3? It is dependent on your tax situation but about €128 is generally what an unqualified will get per day.

No I am fully qualified. How would the school know about my tax situation to pay me?

No I am fully qualified. How would the school know about my tax situation to pay me?

I meant an unqualified paid by the Department after tax has been deducted.

LUFC123 wrote: »
    I meant an unqualified paid by the Department after tax has been deducted.

How would I know that?

In the deductions section of a payslip from the Department.

Overall it looks like the school have given you a reasonable amount for a days work. It is unusual that you didn't know beforehand that you would be paid directly from the school rather than the dept.
    As others have said it means the day doesn't count towards your service record and you are liable for making your own return on the day's wages to revenue. If the school employ you again you can always ask how will you be paid in advance.

Overall it looks like the school have given you a reasonable amount for a days work. It is unusual that you didn't know beforehand that you would be paid directly from the school rather than the dept.
    As others have said it means the day doesn't count towards your service record and you are liable for making your own return on the day's wages to revenue. If the school employ you again you can always ask how will you be paid in advance.

I know it's reasonable but I could be down €42 if they are paying me the unqualified rate or whatever they are paying me? If I subbed in another school I would have got €180?

As they are paying you themselves they choose the rate, doesn't have to be in line with any pay scale.
    I know it's reasonable but I could be down €42 if they are paying me the unqualified rate or whatever they are paying me? If I subbed in another school I would have got €180?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You learn to ask how you will be paid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement