Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone insurance-making a claim

Options
  • 12-01-2020 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My phone got stolen yesterday. I am with three and have Zurich sos phone insurance.
    Does anyone have any experience in making claim with them? The phone was stolen while i was shopping. I did not notice when it was gone until I came home. A friend of mine said that insurance might not cover if it wasn't taken by force? But it was still stolen... Any experience in that matter? Also... How long does it take to receive replacement phone? I'm going away on holidays on Thursday and it's a bit of a disaster to be left with no phone.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

My phone got stolen yesterday. I am with three and have Zurich sos phone insurance.
    Does anyone have any experience in making claim with them? The phone was stolen while i was shopping. I did not notice when it was gone until I came home. A friend of mine said that insurance might not cover if it wasn't taken by force? But it was still stolen... Any experience in that matter? Also... How long does it take to receive replacement phone? I'm going away on holidays on Thursday and it's a bit of a disaster to be left with no phone.....
    You will probably need to report it stolen to guards and get a pulse number before submitting the claim. I highly doubt it would be sorted by Thursday so you might be best to arrange a replacement yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

My understanding is that you need to have to report it stolen to gardai and give the file number to the insurance company.

How do you know it was stolen ? Or simply not just missing somewhere - is it possible that it fell out of your pocket while driving or on a bus or even if you went to a public bathroom somewhere, if you have no proof it was stolen, then it's "missing" and not stolen.

It's possible that you may have been the victim of a pickpocket.

As regards getting sorted before holidays, very unlikely, gardai won't have enough time to investigate.

Check out what the excess is in your insurance agreement, you will have to pay some money to replace your phone, be very careful dealing with insurance companies.... They are looking for every possible reason not to pay out and are happy to take your money (insurance companies 30-40-50years ago were more direct, these days it has gotten too expensive for them to investigate all claims to see if they are genuine or not - so they look for a loophole or use a loophole written into insurance contract to avoid paying out.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Report it stolen to the Gardai and get your network to block the phone.

Read your terms and conditions to see what the claim process it and whether it will be covered and what excess you will pay is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 _gone_wild_

I don't know if it was stolen or fell out of my pocket... I know I've had it coming into the shop and didn't when I came back home. I drive and I checked my car, went back to the shop following morning and nothing. After that I blacklisted phone and blocked my number.
    Today went to the guard and they've said its a theft only if phone is taking out of my hands?
    I don't know how to go on about it to make sure I will get replacement phone. I'm paying my insurance 3 years now and never claimed anything. All I want is to have a phone again I can use....
    What sense does it make to pay €14 insurance X 36 months if claim is such a challenge ...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,397 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Surely you're covered for a lost phone as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

What sense does it make to pay €14 insurance X 36 months if claim is such a challenge ...

As I said already, read your terms and conditions. You may also be covered for loss. Companies will have a claims process set out in the event of a claim in terms of what you need to do, sometimes with time limits.

Advertisement