Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Soil sampling

• 12-01-2020 10:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭

What prices are ye being charged? Would it be bad practice to take samples around now with ground do wet?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What prices are ye being charged? Would it be bad practice to take samples around now with ground do wet?

Before anything is spread would be the best time to sample, it will give a more accurate result.

Tbh, the ground being wet doesn't matter but you won't be able to push the sampler down into the ground to get a sample inside the sampler, it will just push the soil down and to the side without anything going into the sampler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I done 20 samples lately at 25 a pop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

12 euro each but I'm buying the fert off this guy based in Middleton who dors the tests for me.

My local lads that used to test the soil were 25 euros a sample.

I only sent my samples off this week, i usually like to get it done the start of November do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I took a few samples in the meantime and opposite to what I thought the soil isn’t saturated and it’s collecting decent samples. I’m being charged 25e too through ag consultant. Seems to be the norm so, even though 12e is brilliant value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I took a few samples in the meantime and opposite to what I thought the soil isn’t saturated and it’s collecting decent samples. I’m being charged 25e too through ag consultant. Seems to be the norm so, even though 12e is brilliant value

I'm paying 20 euro a sample from Teagasc, 4 for the price of 5 deal atm and a guy comes in and takes them all. They also supply colour coded maps for P, K and pH so it's easy to see where slurry and what fertiliser goes where.

I'm going to copy and laminate the maps to keep in the tractor so I know what goes where when I'm spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I used this crowd before, they seemed to do the job fine...
    14euro for pH, P, K

https://www.fba-labs.com/userfiles/file/soil-analysis.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

14euro for pH, P, K

Southern scientific are the same but your on your own with the results.
    Aso afaik one needs independent sampling for derogation, NMPS etc. So the Teagasc €20 deal is great value.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Would it be ok to do soil sampling around now?

Also, any recommendations for who to do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Could be a bit hard to take samples with ground being wet atm. I took some before Christmas and it kept clogging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭einn32

Would it be ok to do soil sampling around now?

Also, any recommendations for who to do it?

What are you analysing for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

14euro for pH, P, K

How, much soil did you send them.? Prices look very good but portage may make it cheaper just to hand a sample into southern scientific

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭peterofthebr

Hi anyone use iaslabs.ie? I'm looking to get fields tested silage and grass-beef cattle. Also Where would I get a soil sampling tool-can you rent them?.. I've used Oldcastle labs who supplied tool but looking for local place that also does Analysis of results. . Cavan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

Hi anyone use iaslabs.ie? I'm looking to get fields tested silage and grass-beef cattle. Also Where would I get a soil sampling tool-can you rent them?.. I've used Oldcastle labs who supplied tool but looking for local place that also does Analysis of results. . Cavan

I’m looking for a place in cavan that does it aswell. I see traynors environmental in Belturbet came up after a google. Anyone used them ?

Advertisement