Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How come smart baths aren’t a thing?

• 12-01-2020 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

How handy would it be to say “Alexa run a bath for me at x degrees and add bubble bath, cheers”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

A lot of different sensors, valves and actuators involved I'd imagine.
    You'd have to have it tied in to dimming the lights and playing relaxing music as well for full effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Newuseruntaken

Effects wrote: »
    You'd have to have it tied in to dimming the lights and playing relaxing music as well for full effect.

That would be amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

You can get smart taps but any I've seen are designed for kitchen use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I presume you've got something wrong with your fingers that prevents you from completing the mammoth task of twisting the taps and the lid of a bottle of bubble bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Sardonicat wrote:
    I presume you've got something wrong with your fingers that prevents you from completing the mammoth task of twisting the taps and the lid of a bottle of bubble bath.

You clearly don't get the point of home automation :-)

• Advertisement

You clearly don't get the point of home automation :-)

I think for people who have mobility/sensory/dexterity issues it's great. For anyone else there is no point. None at all.

Sardonicat wrote: »

What's wrong with wanting to just go downstairs and get straight into a bath?
    For anyone else there is no point. None at all.
    Ah, I didn't realise you didn't understand automation.

My lights turn on automatically when I go into the bathroom. I don't have mobility/sensory/dexterity issues, is that pointless too?

My lights turn on automatically when I go into the bathroom. I don't have mobility/sensory/dexterity issues, is that pointless too?

You still have to wait for the bath to fill. What's wrong with using your hands? yeah, if you and everyone who accesses your bathroom are capable of flicking a switch it is utterly pointless.

Do you understand how lucky you are to be ambulatory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

You still have to wait for the bath to fill. What's wrong with using your hands? yeah, if you and everyone who accesses your bathroom are capable of flicking a switch it is utterly pointless.

Id imagine this automated bath would fill it to a certain level and then stop.
    Its not different to calling ahead to turn on the immersion like they used to do years ago. Or texting someone to put the oven on to have it preheated for when you get home.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,379 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Think you're in the wrong forum. This is the home automation and internet of things forum, not the dark ages forum.

Auto bath would be pretty cool. For such a trivial thing, it has its pain points. Getting the right temperature. Not under or over filling the bath. The time waiting for the bath to fill. Lighting and mood music would be an added bonus.

Tis a long time since I've had a bath, but I regularly remember dipping a toe in, only to find it was far too hot, then running the cold tap while emptying some water down the drain as it would be too full by the time I got the temperature balance correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Why on earth are you in the home automation forum ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

See what happened with those smart ovens recently? Anything that can fail dangerous is probably not a good idea yet until we get better controls in place. I'd want an overflow sensor independent of the smart controls that could close hot and cold without connectivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Posting crap like this in a home automation forum is also pointless and seen as trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Any time I take a bath, which would be a rare enough treat, I always spend far too long in there and end up freezing when I come out. Would be nice to set a timer or have an alert when the water gets below a certain temperature, and then have it automatically drain to force you out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Why stop at the bath?
    "Alexa, flush the toilet for me".
    "Alexa, put toothpaste on my toothbrush".
    "Alexa, floss my teeth"......

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Apt8

Why stop at the bath?
    "Alexa, flush the toilet for me".
    "Alexa, put toothpaste on my toothbrush".
    "Alexa, floss my teeth"......

"Alexa, silence this luddite."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Apt8 wrote: »
    "Alexa, silence this luddite."

Alexa, tell this guy to turn on his sarcasm meter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

ED E wrote: »
    See what happened with those smart ovens recently? Anything that can fail dangerous is probably not a good idea yet until we get better controls in place. I'd want an overflow sensor independent of the smart controls that could close hot and cold without connectivity.

Just put a drain up near the top of the bath to stop overflow like you see in sinks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

https://www.goodhomesmagazine.com/more/bathroom/490-6-great-reasons-to-control-your-shower-bath-with-google-home-smartap

There was a guy on Dragon's Den pimping this type of product-it just so happened that one of the dragons had one in his holiday home and said it was utterly pointless.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Guys debate the points not abuse the person or I will close the thread and hand out bans.

When im running a bath I’m constantly having to go in and out of the bathroom to check the temp of it and make sure it’s not overflowing. Even then once I get in I sometimes find it’s too warm and need to let out water and refill with some cold water. So it would obviously save time and effort and ensure the temp of my bath is perfect first time out without wasting water.

Would be a lifesaver for people with kids trying to do 5 things at once, to be able to just tell Alexa to run a bath for one of them at a specific temp.

Would be great for people working late who want a bath before bed to be able to run the bath while they are travelling back home from work.

Would be a godsend for older people and people with disabilities.

Why stop at the bath?
    "Alexa, flush the toilet for me"...

I shouldn’t have to tell Alexa to flush the toilet, there should be sensors that know when I have moved away from the toilet and it should then flush automatically, it’s fairly common in public toilets already.

What's the point in turning on a switch when I can just walk into the bathroom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

https://smartap-tech.com not a bath but an app shower. Personally love automating most things but think it may be a bit much for a bath, there are many hot tubs with automation controls which makes more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Just put a drain up near the top of the bath to stop overflow like you see in sinks.

Every bath I've seen has an overflow drain, the problem is that it's not designed for the water from the taps and if it was it would be massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

When im running a bath I’m constantly having to go in and out of the bathroom to check the temp of it and make sure it’s not overflowing. Even then once I get in I sometimes find it’s too warm and need to let out water and refill with some cold water. So it would obviously save time and effort and ensure the temp of my bath is perfect first time out without wasting water.

Would be a lifesaver for people with kids trying to do 5 things at once, to be able to just tell Alexa to run a bath for one of them at a specific temp.

Would be great for people working late who want a bath before bed to be able to run the bath while they are travelling back home from work.

Would be a godsend for older people and people with disabilities.

You can get thermometer controlled mixers so you can set the temperature of the water, most hotels have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ED E wrote: »
    See what happened with those smart ovens recently?

Well, no. What?

Considering this is the one thing I'm probably most missing (remote heat to 230 so its ready when I get home).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How handy would it be to say “Alexa run a bath for me at x degrees and add bubble bath, cheers”
    All baths have a hole to prevent overspill, but at the same time you don't want waste water.

So, the following would have to be automated;
    Closing the plughole.
    Knowing the amount of tap water needed to fill up the bathtub
    External device to put in the bubble bath liquid.

Now, here's the interesting parts. If you heat the tank for the water, does the water going into the tank go by litres into the tank, or by a time that the tap is turned?
    Secondly, you'll need to know when to put in the bubble bath liquid. Too late, and no bubbles. Too early, and bubbles could go onto your bathroom floor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,104 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Way ahead of yis.

I installed one of those camera's above my big-boobed neighbours bath in order to try to develop some machine learning app that could learn what temperature she liked and how much bubble bath on which days etc. so that I could automate it and make her life easier.

Well at least that was what I told the judge after the camera was discovered and traced back to me

Advertisement