Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wired fire alarm

Options
  • 12-01-2020 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

hi we have a wired fire alarm and it appears to be wired from twin and earth 1.5 we are after getting 2 new alarms with the intention of adding them i have seen online that you can use fp200 or 3 core with earth which is correct?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Are you taking about smoke detectors for a domestic installation?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GUNDAM_meister

2011 wrote: »
    Are you taking about smoke detectors for a domestic installation?

yes

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

yes

FP200 would be OTT and would be prohibitively expensive. Standard PVC/PVC domestic cabling is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 advise_needed

[HTML][/HTML]
    hi we have a wired fire alarm and it appears to be wired from twin and earth 1.5 we are after getting 2 new alarms with the intention of adding them i have seen online that you can use fp200 or 3 core with earth which is correct?

sorry for the silly questions but why would you connect 3 core with an earth to twin and earth or is there a need for an additional wire and can you mix ordinary t and e with fire wire would the cpc in the fire be smaller than the t and e? sorry im just curious

There is a new cable for domestic smoke alarms.
    It's called RD415.
    It's not electrical regulation yet.
    I picked up a roll for my own house the other day.

https://www.eurosales.ie/products/rd415-detector-cable-nhxmh-coil-100-mtrs-rd415.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 GUNDAM_meister

FP200 would be OTT and would be prohibitively expensive. Standard PVC/PVC domestic cabling is ideal.

i was only going to buy 9-10 meters, safety is my main priority not cost. would this be a suitable alt then?

tinyurl(dot)com/u35r9x4

There is a new cable for domestic smoke alarms.
    It's called RD415.
    It's not electrical regulation yet.
    I picked up a roll for my own house the other day.
    do you know what size it comes in as 80 notes isint bad for a price point for 100 mt

While we all know it's perfectly fine there is a building reg (not electrical) that says the fire alarm cable must be easily identified in the installation.
    So if your installation was in pvc you're smokes shouldn't be.
    Hence the new pink stuff. That's not very pink in real life to be honest.

Size as in cross sectional area?
    Just one I assume. Looks to be 1.5sqmm.
    You should be able to buy it by the metre in the wholesalers.

While we all know it's perfectly fine there is a building reg (not electrical) that says the fire alarm cable must be easily identified in the installation.
    So if your installation was in pvc you're smokes shouldn't be.
    Hence the new pink stuff. That's not very pink in real life to be honest.

News to me.
    Following your post I found this:
    https://www.eurosales.ie/products/rd415-detector-cable-nhxmh-coil-100-mtrs-rd415.html

Also news to me,only heard this last week from safe electric.

more info here

http://electric.ie/iebg-launch-new-rd415-cable/

• Advertisement

Also news to me,only heard this last week from safe electric.

more info here

http://electric.ie/iebg-launch-new-rd415-cable/

I don’t work on domestic installations now and haven’t for a very long time so I am not 100% up to speed with the latest requirements. However I don’t see anything in that link that states that a pink sheath is a requirement at present. It only states that it is acceptable in terms of current requirements. I have not seen anything stating that a sheath of another color would not be acceptable.

I posted what they told me,I posted a link to the new cable and you still say Im incorrect ?

I posted what they told me,I posted a link to the new cable and you still say Im incorrect ?

I’m not saying you are incorrect.
    I am saying that the link you posted does not say that the sheath has to be pink, just that this is acceptable.

The cable for the smokes should be clearly identifiable from the rest of the install is what SE said.
    Pink,green,red,white

Probably why it says this in the link.
    "It has an outer pink sleeve that clearly identifies it from any other cables used in electrical circuits".

anyway,I'll stick to what they told me.
    I've nothing more to add.

has fp200 2 core with with earth now have all 3 cores sheathed and can it be used in a consumer unit?

has fp200 2 core with with earth now have all 3 cores sheathed and can it be used in a consumer unit?

I’m not clear what you mean, but FP200 is a fire resistant cable that is often used for fire alarm systems rather than standalone smoke detectors. It would not be normal to use this cable type in a domestic installation.

I’m not clear what you mean, but FP200 is a fire resistant cable that is often used for fire alarm systems rather than standalone smoke detectors. It would not be normal to use this cable type in a domestic installation.

well since im spending some serious money doing renovations and since looking through this fourm im getting other ideas in terms of future proofing for my own benefit. and when you hear stories like this

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/young-cork-family-left-without-17438156

you just start thinking what if and sure i was saving some money. but lets say i wanted to really get it done right.

so i was asking about the fp200 specifically because looking at the rd cable i cant see a ver with just 3 cores so i guess you cant use it in the cu just to have one wire hanging going nowhere as the first wire going to a smoke alarm does not need the interconnection its only when going from alarm to alarm so thats what im asking rather than using t+e from the cu to the first smoke could you use fp200 or any other fire rated cable and then continue on with the rd cable or even another fire rated cable.

Why do you think using FP200 would provide you with a superior install? It would if you were wiring a fire alarm system, but you are not. Instead you are wiring stand alone smoke detectors that contain an internal battery so they will work even if the supply cable fails. This is not the case with a fire alarm system, hence the requirement for such a cable. I don’t see this as “future proofing”. There are better ways to spend your money if you want to enhance the wiring or safety of your home. Example: Supply each circuit from an AFDD and install surge protection in the CU. You could also consider installing Nest smoke detectors.

Why do you think using FP200 would provide you with a superior install? It would if you were wiring a fire alarm system, but you are not. Instead you are wiring stand alone smoke detectors that contain an internal battery so they will work even if the supply cable fails. This is not the case with a fire alarm system, hence the requirement for such a cable. I don’t see this as “future proofing”. There are better ways to spend your money if you want to enhance the wiring or safety of your home. Example: Supply each circuit from an AFDD and install surge protection in the CU. You could also consider installing Nest smoke detectors.

i was thinking future proofing along the lines of leaving some kopex in the wall to allow for ev charging cable down the road. but i take your point regarding this tho.

Advertisement