Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda speed check at approach to Dublin Port tunnel South bore entrance

Options
  • 12-01-2020 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭

AGS traffic division out in force this morning at 10am approx , 50 km zone, shooting fish in a barrel revenue generation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

kravmaga wrote: »
    AGS traffic division out in force this morning at 10am approx , 50 km zone, shooting fish in a barrel revenue generation

It’s not 50km/h limit approaching the Tunnel southbound, so this is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Don't be one of the speeding fish and you'll be just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It is a 50 zone, it's just a heads up to other road users

fullstop wrote: »
    It’s not 50km/h limit approaching the Tunnel southbound, so this is nonsense.

Your nonsense, goodbye

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Your nonsense, goodbye
    Apart from being snarky it doesn't sound right at all. M1 to J2 120kph, J2 to tunnel 80kph and 80 kph inside the tunnel, tunnel to next hill 60 kph, Flyover onwards 50kph. Please point out the exact spot where this new 50 kph appears at the tunnel.

• Advertisement

On the approach to the south bore the limit is 50 kmph, check it on Google maps.

Read my post before making your childish comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

On the approach to the south bore the limit is 50 kmph, check it on Google maps.

In normal circumstances both bores are 80 km/h. In the event of an incident, this can be reduced to 50 km/h. The same regime applies to the section in Santry approaching the southbound bore. I have never heard of this actually being implemented.

However, are you referring to the southern entrance (sometimes called an adit, but that word has a mining connotation) to the tunnel? The southern entrance is on the northbound bore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

It costs more to conduct speed enforcement than it takes in in fines.

If it is a revenue generation exercise then they're shIte at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

donvito99 wrote: »
    It costs more to conduct speed enforcement than it takes in in fines.

If it is a revenue generation exercise then they're shIte at it.

That's the gosafe vans.... The operator is rolling in the dosh.

Wrong. Again. :)

https://goo.gl/maps/VKAZPYEhCYaxfPbs7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Is the South Bore not the southern end of the tunnel, heading north? In which case the OP is perfectly correct.
    Perhaps some clarification could be sought before all the churlish posts?

https://goo.gl/maps/VdyzWhAUoZgMW6gw8

Yakuza wrote: »
    Is the South Bore not the southern end of the tunnel, heading north? In which case the OP is perfectly correct.
    Perhaps some clarification could be sought before all the churlish posts?

https://goo.gl/maps/VdyzWhAUoZgMW6gw8

The tunnel is referred to as Southbound or Northbound bore. The southbound bore goes south, as the name suggests, which has an 80 limit. Maybe it was the other south he was referring to...the north.

https://www.nova.ie/southbound-bore-of-port-tunnel-re-opens-167867/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

South bore (as per the OP) and southbound bore are different descriptions. The former suggests the bore at the southern end of the tunnel (where the limit is 50 and it's much easier to set up a traffic check due to the width of the place). It may not be the official name of the place but it still makes sense.

Yakuza wrote: »
    South bore (as per the OP) and southbound bore are different descriptions. The former suggests the bore at the southern end of the tunnel (where the limit is 50 and it's much easier to set up a traffic check due to the width of the place). It may not be the official name of the place but it still makes sense.

Both bores are at the southern end of the runner, just the same as both are at the north. Which is why they’re referred to by direction of travel.

That's the North bore entrance, read my post again, I'm referring to the south bore entrance heading Northbound.

And your wrong again, it's 50 as per the sign

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

That's the North bore entrance, read my post again, I'm referring to the south bore entrance heading Northbound.

I always thought:

North Bore = tunnel for northbound traffic, and;

South Bore = tunnel for southbound traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You are using extremely strange terminology.

99% of people would call the bore you go southbound in the southbound one and vice versa, meaning there is no such thing as "south bore entrance heading Northbound"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭markpb

If you're at the southern entrance to the tunnel, you can only go north. If you're at the northern entrance, you can only go south. Using both the entrance location and the direction of travel is both redundant and, judging by this thread, confusing. Pick either 'north entrance' (going south) or 'northern bore' (going north) but not both.

Folks I will try and make this clear for once and for all.

When approaching the tunnel bore at Dublin port end heading Northbound towards the airport the sign is 50km then goes to 80km before entering the tunnel, this is where I observed the Garda traffic division at the 50 km sign.

I have already added a link to where you can see the sign 50KM, I dont wear glasses and I have 20/20 vision.

https://goo.gl/maps/R2o6oRyBU7ncsDtQ9

L1011 wrote: »
    You are using extremely strange terminology.

99% of people would call the bore you go southbound in the southbound one and vice versa, meaning there is no such thing as "south bore entrance heading Northbound"

No im not , survey said 99% ??? What are going on about lad? I think your strange in your terminology , your a mod?? Jesus

Here see the link,

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3532822,-6.2237703,3a,75y,7.16h,89.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-or789vJPUoGcg_W1z6vqw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement

That's the gosafe vans.... The operator is rolling in the dosh.

Nope, was Garda traffic division

Both bores are at the southern end of the runner, just the same as both are at the north. Which is why they’re referred to by direction of travel.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3532822,-6.2237703,3a,75y,7.16h,89.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-or789vJPUoGcg_W1z6vqw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Advertisement