Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are some cars that are cheap to insure?

• 12-01-2020 2:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭

I've currently got an 04 1.4 petrol Golf, cheapest quote in my own name €1800.
    I've 1 years named driver experience (still currently a named driver).

NCT is due soon and if it's shafted I'll change but I'm just having a look for now.

I do a good bit of driving between work and college so maybe a 1 litre Yaris isn't my best bet.

On Chill Insurance
    I got quoted €1470 on a 2013 1L Petrol Yaris
    I also got quoted 1580 on a 2012 Volvo S60, 1.6 Diesel..

Scirocco was €2400 for the smallest engine size.

Seems like I'm getting screwed either way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

MrMiata wrote: »

NCT is due soon and if it's shafted I'll change but I'm just having a look for now.

I do a good bit of driving between work and college so maybe a 1 litre Yaris isn't my best bet.

On Chill Insurance

I paid €2,000 for my first insurance a few years ago with an 05 1L Yaris.

You're just going to have to eat this I'm afraid.

The good news is that next year will be better.

I went from €2k on a worthless car 1L third party to €1.3k fully comp 2L car worth something.

I'm on my third year now. Fully comp on a relatively new 1.5L with a learner as a names driver for €1,100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

On Chill Insurance

I’d look at 1 litre engines. The polo / fiesta 1 litre might be a good place. But seeing what your getting for the Yaris you might be in a bit of bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭MrMiata

troyzer wrote: »
    I paid €2,000 for my first insurance a few years ago with an 05 1L Yaris.

You're just going to have to eat this I'm afraid.

The good news is that next year will be better.

I went from €2k on a worthless car 1L third party to €1.3k fully comp 2L car worth something.

I'm on my third year now. Fully comp on a relatively new 1.5L with a learner as a names driver for €1,100.

I'm 22 too forgot to mention that!

I'm tempted to quit my insurance policy and go in my own name now as my policy isn't up until next August..

My friend is the same age as me, in his own name for 2 years and he's somehow insured on a M3 for less than €2k.

Which is really making me want to just get the first year under my belt asap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I was a named driver for 2 years.

Got my full drivers licence then. First year on my own in a 1.9 diesel was €1,800. As far as I could see named driver experience made no difference. Some companies don't even count it. Played around with small engined Yaris' and Golf's when looking online at the time.
    Made little difference. The insurers see you as the risk when you're starting out. High premiums are just a fact of life and I'd be surprised if you do better than €1,800 the first year on your own.

It should go down after that. But if I was you I'd prepare myself to pay close to €5000 in premiums over the next 3 years.

ddarcy wrote: »
    I’d look at 1 litre engines. The polo / fiesta 1 litre might be a good place. But seeing what your getting for the Yaris you might be in a bit of bother.

It's madness, I'm 22, I'll be 23 this summer.

Checked on a 1.2l Petrol Vw Polo 2011 with 1220km on it (it's been in storage at a dealership apparently) and I got quoted 1800, without my father as a named driver it was 2100!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Your age and experience is what is important. The car, unless it's considered too powerful is less important.

Most cars 1l - 1.4l will have similar quotes.

BTW, back in 1986 my first insurance was £1600 - circa €5k in today's money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

It's madness, I'm 22, I'll be 23 this summer.

Checked on a 1.2l Petrol Vw Polo 2011 with 1220km on it (it's been in storage at a dealership apparently) and I got quoted 1800, without my father as a named driver it was 2100!

Doesn't matter.

I was 24 when I got my first policy in my name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

I got my first insurance in my own name over the summer after having 2 years named driving experience. Was a named driver on my mam’s 06 1.2 Polo and just then got insured on my own 2010 1.6 Mini. My insurance for the first year was €1,300 which I thought wasn’t too bad.

I’m insured with Axa who I find good, you mention Chill in your posts so maybe have a look around to get a good deal, I know named driver experience did make a difference to the price of my insurance with Axa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

A workmate got insured for a good price on a 2 litre petrol mercedes, having gotten bonkers quotes on the usual Golf, Civic, Bora etc. Worth a try. Estate cars sometimes are cheaper to insure too. Lads were getting good quotes on Toyota Caldina turbos back when they were getting refused on Celica GT4s with the same running gear.

pablo128 wrote: »
    A workmate got insured for a good price on a 2 litre petrol mercedes, having gotten bonkers quotes on the usual Golf, Civic, Bora etc. Worth a try. Estate cars sometimes are cheaper to insure too. Lads were getting good quotes on Toyota Caldina turbos back when they were getting refused on Celica GT4s with the same running gear.

I got quoted €500 less on the convertible version of the Mini Cooper John Cooper Works, same year and all the specs.
    €1800 on a 208bhp Mini!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement