Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power Meters

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Anyone have first hand reviews of the Giant power meters?

The dual sided Shimano have been getting awful reviews from a number of people. As they come with higher end Giant bikes are they worth keeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I can also recommend Favero. I have the Assioma Uno. I got it new for 395€. I find the readings consistent, very easy to set up (particularly if you rent bikes while on holiday) and has great battery life.

That’s a great price on the Assiomas - can I ask where you found it? Or if anyone else has found a good price somewhere? At the moment the Favero website seems to be cheapest at 445 and 695.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

@Dahat, I'm pretty sure the issues with the shimano power meters are based on the design of the newer shimano crank arms, particularly the drive side. Think any company that uses them is going to have issues.

joey100 wrote: »
    @Dahat, I'm pretty sure the issues with the shimano power meters are based on the design of the newer shimano crank arms, particularly the drive side. Think any company that uses them is going to have issues.

Yeah, that seems to be the case on further reading. It's disappointing that a bike with a pm supplied needs a new power source straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

The Shimano power meter was already produced and sold in large numbers before the flaw was found.
    No one expected this, it's very unusual for Shimano to make such a major error.

• Advertisement

I'm hoping that when i get to the 2021 TCR the issues have been resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    That’s a great price on the Assiomas - can I ask where you found it? Or if anyone else has found a good price somewhere? At the moment the Favero website seems to be cheapest at 445 and 695.

I bought the Uno last February here from this German seller. They were the only site offering it at that price but the caveat was a delivery time of approx 8 weeks. I can see now they've raised their price to the RRP standard of 445. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be another retailer selling at 395.

After reading the feedback in this thread regarding single-sided PMs I am now keen to get the right-sided Assioma pedal as well. Time to fill up the piggy-bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

I bought the Uno last February here from this German seller. They were the only site offering it at that price but the caveat was a delivery time of approx 8 weeks. I can see now they've raised their price to the RRP standard of 445. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be another retailer selling at 395.

After reading the feedback in this thread regarding single-sided PMs I am now keen to get the right-sided Assioma pedal as well. Time to fill up the piggy-bank.

Thanks - seems there’s no discounts at the mo. I’m thinking to bite the bullet and just go for duo from beginning given the 200 differential to uno+upgrade. If it’s full price will go with a lbs.

How do you find the cleats set up? I’m coming from spd-sl’s?

Mr. Cats wrote: »
    Thanks - seems there’s no discounts at the mo. I’m thinking to bite the bullet and just go for duo from beginning given the 200 differential to uno+upgrade. If it’s full price will go with a lbs.

How do you find the cleats set up? I’m coming from spd-sl’s?

I was also accustomed to Shimano cleats and had zero issues with switching to Look. If I remember correctly the Assioma came with red Look cleats which offers their widest range of float. I've since moved to grey cleats. Again no issues. The installation set up is exactly the same.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I prefer no float, ie red Shimano, what would the comparable Look ones be?

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    I prefer no float, ie red Shimano, what would the comparable Look ones be?

That'd be the black Keo grip cleats. I think the grey is around 4.5 degrees and red were 9 degrees (which confused me at the start because Shimano red is zero as you said).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

I bought the Uno last February here from this German seller. They were the only site offering it at that price but the caveat was a delivery time of approx 8 weeks.
    Just an advisory on that.
    I believe the shop in the link above is not an authorised re-seller.
    If your pedal/electronics develop a prob Favero may not stand over a warranty on it.
    You may pay a bit extra to buy direct from Favero but if they develop a problem they will stand over them (as long as you havent crashed them).

IMO Shimano use excellent bearing in their pedals. I like look pedals but they are not nearly as durable.

Is this an issue when buying pedal based power meters? Is it fairly easy to service the bearings in these pedals?

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anyone any experience of the P2Max NGeco? Having got rid of vector pedal thinking of this as an alternative.

https://www.power2max.com/en/product/ngeco-rotor-aldhu24-power-meter-set-road/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭koutoubia

tuxy wrote: »
    IMO Shimano use excellent bearing in their pedals. I like look pedals but they are not nearly as durable.

Is this an issue when buying pedal based power meters? Is it fairly easy to service the bearings in these pedals?

Very very easy to service the bearings in the Favero's.
    You can buy the bearings etc on favero's website.
    I have about 15,000 kms on mine and not a whisper from the bearings...however I did replace the right hand side as favero warrantied the power pod so while that was being replaced I changed the bearings while at it.

Just a note for anyone reading this who is gonna service them ...the nut that holds everything together is reverse threaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

CramCycle wrote: »
    I think I am going to go with the 4iiii single side. any negative reports from them or is everyone happy?

My 4iiii single sided pm gave up on me a couple of months ago. I purchased it in 2015 and there is approx 15k kms usage. The cadence displays but no power. I contacted 4iiii support and they have no fix for the issue but offered me a discount on a new device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

My 4iiii single sided pm gave up on me a couple of months ago. I purchased it in 2015 and there is approx 15k kms usage. The cadence displays but no power. I contacted 4iiii support and they have no fix for the issue but offered me a discount on a new device.

To be sure to be sure double check with a friends head unit

Look what was in my recommended videos today.

Aren't power2max considered extremely good by most peoples standards?
    This engineering mistake is very poor :(

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

What's the engineering mistake? Didn't have time to watch the whole 50 minutes, but the bits I dipped into he seemed to be taking issue with the FSA crankset.

He is delightfully sweary.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I have 5 power2max. They are very, very good.

FSA cranks ? Rubbish. Especially the ones with the m17 bolts that loosen themselves. Had a crank arm come off in a TT and saw another lads do the same on a long climb in Gran Canaria.

Stick with the rotorif you get a P2M.. or literally anything else that is not FSA and you will have no trouble.

• Advertisement

About 4 mins in shows the problem. The part that was made to house all the power meter parts makes contact with the seal of the bearing not the inner race causing a large amount of friction.
    It's unclear if it was made by FSA or power2max but it does not happen on a FSA crank that does not have a power2max power meter.

Even if FSA is rubbish and p2m is not you would think p2m would notice the defect.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

it's a Powerbox though, which means it's put together by FSA, not Power2Max.

True it FSA may be completely at fault. It depends on who designed that part.

I have also seen FSA cranks come apart on people while cycling so I guess they are the more likely culprit.

Previous experience with FSA cranks is one of the reasons I'm very wary of third party cranksets.

Have had mixed experience with the Rotor 3d+. I've resolved a persistent creaking by switching the retaining compound from the one recommended by Rotor to the ones recommended by Campagnolo.

However, I've still got a problem created by my own stupidity, which as yer man points out in this video, is one of the biggest bottom bracket mistakes you can make, pairing a 30mm axle with a BB86 frame. Whatever you do, you're still going to go through bottom brackets like clean knickers. Fortunately, I do see a way out of this dilemma. It does involve buying another frame.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Danville

Pioneer announced today that as part of an agreement with Shimano, quietly penned back in December, they’ll be exiting the cycling business. That includes ending their power meter and bike computer product sales

I have a pioneer 4iiii power and would be happy to recommend same until I saw the above on dcrainmaker.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Have a Stages Single sided Power Meter. Works great. Great value also.

Danville wrote: »
    Pioneer announced today that as part of an agreement with Shimano, quietly penned back in December, they’ll be exiting the cycling business. That includes ending their power meter and bike computer product sales

I have a pioneer 4iiii power and would be happy to recommend same until I saw the above on dcrainmaker.com.

I'm not sure I understand, arent 4iiii and pioneer different companies?

Disappointing that pioneer have decided to stop producing cycling products.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dexty

Just took a punt on this, decent price and reviews. Now to find a decent PM training plan. Any ideas? Something short to the point, i'm not a war n peace type :-)

https://www.mantel.com/uk/4iiii-precision-105-r7000-left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

dexty wrote: »
    Just took a punt on this, decent price and reviews. Now to find a decent PM training plan. Any ideas? Something short to the point, i'm not a war n peace type :-)

https://www.mantel.com/uk/4iiii-precision-105-r7000-left

Great price. Worth posting a link in bargain thread

• Advertisement

Would even be nice to pair with a basic turbo for training on zwift right now. Just ass the usb that can read ant+

Advertisement