Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to move on?

Options
  • 12-01-2020 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to get some feedback and opinions on my work situation.

I've been working in my current role for three years and I've over ten years experience in industry. My current job has plenty of pros. Working from home is available on demand. I work from home three days a week. Start and finish times are at my discretion. Work wise, I get to decide how to implement the projects I work on, the timelines for them and the projects I work on, with the odd exception. Stress levels are bordering on non-existent.

On joining the organisation it became clear that the lead person in my department was out of touch with the changes that have happened in industry over the last fifteen years or so and she has little to no interest in updating her skills. She joined the organisation as part of a merger over ten years ago and she has very strong ties with most of the major players in the organisation. Her soft skills are very weak. A number of project managers have submitted negative feedback to HR about her on leaving the organisation. Time after time, she refuses to engage with me when it comes to progress reports and decision making on projects. She is supposed to be made aware of what we are doing but she is always too busy or just doesn't understand the topic at hand, something that would be completely unacceptable in any other organisation. The director of our division has requested that she keeps up to speed with the work I am doing but on failing to do so, there appears to be no consequences for her. The director accepts her reasons without question. He is new to that role and the organisation. The pattern above repeats project after project but all of the projects are delivered by 'X and her team' in the mind of senior management.

So, I'm just trying to get some opinions on my position. There are lots of positives to the role, as noted above but the issue with the team lead is really starting to annoy me. A new business critical project started in November and I've received the same old responses from her. Last week, I was emphasizing the importance of a relationship that we have with an external body, which is key to the successful delivery of the project. It was blatantly obvious that she hadn't a clue what I was on about and just responded by asking if I knew how to manage it. The director kept looking at her but he said nothing. He keeps asking me for feedback and answers on this project, ccing her. I've been toying with the idea of asking for a promotion but I was told to think twice by some of the other members of staff. They told me that HR was flooded with negative feedback about the last person who did this and he was let go as part of a cost cutting initiative in December 2018. A number of people have suffered the same fate over the years, apparently. With this is mind, I'm really struggling to see how things are going to change.

Should I just start looking for something new and move on with the positives I have gained?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

How do you think you would be, from a work/life balance perspective, if you were to change jobs to a better manager but lose some or all of the perks you've outlined above? Would that not be a case of 'out of the frying pan...'?

It sounds like your job is ok and you find it satisfying but your manager is a disinterested dinosaur? That accurate?

I'm also not sure I'm following the advice you received internally warning you off applying for promotion. Are you saying people work against those going for promotion or managers manage out ambitious employees?

What is the possibility of pitching a sideways move to another more senior manager? Could you pitch a special project that would get you out of where you're at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭dam099

Diceicle wrote: »
    What is the possibility of pitching a sideways move to another more senior manager? Could you pitch a special project that would get you out of where you're at now?

I think that’s a very good suggestion but working from home 3 days a week might hinder the networking you possibly need to do to achieve this.

You might want to think tactically about spending more time in the office or using the days you are there to try and build relationships with other managers if that’s possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

If I were you I'd stay in the job and work on improving my relationship with her. I would get her onto my side and effectively turn me into the person who makes the technical decisions.

So she can handle the politics and I make all the technical decisions.

She is probably desperate for someone to do this.

I have done this in two jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

sounds like hr and the directors know it but wont deal with it.For all you know she is the CEO’s cousin.For some reason she is being sheltered and protected. Make sure you do your job and dont try to manager her. Stay where you are -annoying and unfair as it is there are people like this everywhere -think if the benefits of the job to you and your family and stay put.there is no reason why you should give up great perks and work conditions for a protected colleague. She may have something or someone or be too expensive to fire or have mental health illness that they cannot disclose and so cannot fire her without huge penalty to themselves or may be registered disabled for some hidden illness ( past cancer/lupus/ sleeping MS/brain injury etc) and so they cant get rid of her without a hige discrimination case. They rely on you to get the job done and be the best you can. So long as you can see past the incompetence of her stay where you are. You could have bad working conditions, a harsh commute, lots of unpaid overtime in an office and a room full of people like her - it could be a lot lot worse quite easier.stay. For allyou know she’s having an affair with someone pivotol and they all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭Masala

For a guy like me (mid 50s)... those working conditions are GREAT.

At my age .. I would suck it up and wait her out. Who knows what’s down the line.

• Advertisement

Masala wrote: »
    For a guy like me (mid 50s)... those working conditions are GREAT.

At my age .. I would suck it up and wait her out. Who knows what’s down the line.

Yes, when you think about the big picture, these are minor problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Your job sounds like a dream tbh, I wouldn't give that up in a hurry because of one person.

New director might see her for what she is but regardless you will encounter people like her in a lot of companies so there's no guarantee that you won't end up somewhere else with the same issue but without the good work conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the responses. I think the quotes below cover most of the points made. Point taken on going into the office more.
    How do you think you would be, from a work/life balance perspective, if you were to change jobs to a better manager but lose some or all of the perks you've outlined above? Would that not be a case of 'out of the frying pan...'?

Most definitely. Lots of companies in my sector promise things like a good work/life balance and they fail to deliver. I'm in the A+ category on that front.
    It sounds like your job is ok and you find it satisfying but your manager is a disinterested dinosaur? That accurate?

A good summary but I'd add my concerns regarding career progression to that. I'm struggling to see a future for me in here.
    I'm also not sure I'm following the advice you received internally warning you off applying for promotion. Are you saying people work against those going for promotion or managers manage out ambitious employees?

Managers manage out ambitious employees. My manager and a small number of other managers ran this company for years. The old owners were never in the office, so they did what they liked. The company changed ownership just before I joined. The new senior execs have changed the company, much to the annoyance of my manager and the rest of the old guard. Most of the changes have been for the better but the practice of managing out employees is still tolerated.
    OMM 0000 wrote: »
    If I were you I'd stay in the job and work on improving my relationship with her. I would get her onto my side and effectively turn me into the person who makes the technical decisions.

So she can handle the politics and I make all the technical decisions.

She is probably desperate for someone to do this.

I've worked very hard on this relationship. I decided to use her lack of soft skills as an opportunity to enhance my skills when it comes to dealing with difficult people. I am responsible for all of the technical decisions at the moment and she is happy with that. However, the credit goes to 'X and her team' when the job is done and she gets the bonus at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Take an extended holiday at a critical time and it might show her up?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

This is the latest twist, so I am going to post here instead of creating a new thread.

A number of people are going to be made redundant in the organisation in the coming days. Many are saying that it will be tomorrow, Friday. I've spent the last week documenting my current body of work, so the writing is on the wall for me. On being made redundant, what is the correct action for me to take? Last year, one of my team members was let go and she just picked up her coat and left. My manager was furious with her and sent a number of mails to her trying to get her to come back in to do a handover. The lady never came back in. Did she do the right thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Last year, one of my team members was let go and she just picked up her coat and left. My manager was furious with her and sent a number of mails to her trying to get her to come back in to do a handover. The lady never came back in. Did she do the right thing?

Ireland is a small place. Never burn bridges.

That lady might regret walking out as she has zero chance of getting a good reference from that company should she need one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

This is the latest twist, so I am going to post here instead of creating a new thread.

A number of people are going to be made redundant in the organisation in the coming days. Many are saying that it will be tomorrow, Friday. I've spent the last week documenting my current body of work, so the writing is on the wall for me. On being made redundant, what is the correct action for me to take? Last year, one of my team members was let go and she just picked up her coat and left. My manager was furious with her and sent a number of mails to her trying to get her to come back in to do a handover. The lady never came back in. Did she do the right thing?

Not strategically. But she’ll probably have a friendly colleague act as her reference rather than the manager

On being made redundant, what is the correct action for me to take?

Follow your managers orders, try to enjoy the last moments with your colleagues, and then go to the pub with everyone.

Your ex-colleague who stormed out and refused to answer messages to help with the handover sounds like a complete nightmare. Don't be like her.

Advertisement