Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most cost effective way of refilling/ buying ink cartridges

Options
  • 13-01-2020 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Just checking if anyone might be able to advise of the most cost effective way of buying/refilling HP 304 ink cartridges. They cost €30 I think for a pair in Currys and I got them refilled in Recharge cartridges just before Christmas for €23 which wasn't a savage saving and I don't think I got as much mileage out of them as new cartridges.

I wouldn't be a massive user of the printer generally but from time to time I would have reason to print off a considerable amount.

Any cheaper way of buying/ refilling what I have or should I start off again with a new printer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Hi All,

Just checking if anyone might be able to advise of the most cost effective way of buying/refilling HP 304 ink cartridges. They cost €30 I think for a pair in Currys and I got them refilled in Recharge cartridges just before Christmas for €23 which wasn't a savage saving and I don't think I got as much mileage out of them as new cartridges.

I wouldn't be a massive user of the printer generally but from time to time I would have reason to print off a considerable amount.

Any cheaper way of buying/ refilling what I have or should I start off again with a new printer?

You can buy refill kits online.

I have recently bought a printer that uses those same cartridges, and simple enough refill. Check YouTube.

Doing it yourself saves you money too. Well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Best purchase a laser printer, preferably monochrome.

The price of these has really come down, but not heavily promoted as so much money is made from selling ink. Print quality is also better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

those mini ink cartridges are absolute theft , you would probably get them a lot cheaper from ebay. But best to just buy a printer, with proper sized cartridges, I wouldnt be surprised if the cost was one hundred times less with a proper sized cartridge, than the absolute mickey mouse sized ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Buy a CISS printer. Then buy a litre of ink for the price of one cart and never buy ink again for the rest of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Thanks all, your input is very much appreciated. Would the below laser printer be worth a go? Essentially I am looking for something that can scan and copy as well as print. I will pay extra for something that will save me money on printing overall but don't want to spend over the odds for saving just a few cent or for extra features that won't benefit me that much.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

Any alternative suggestions are also greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭pjdarcy

It appears to be fairly well reviewed on amazon. The one thing to note is that it doesn't come with a USB cable so if you plan to connect it directly to your PC as opposed to connect via WiFi then you'll need to buy a USB cable.

Also, another thing to check if the price of a replacement toner cartridge as in my experience manufacturers often ship new printers with the ink/toner cartridges only half full.

Thanks all, your input is very much appreciated. Would the below laser printer be worth a go? Essentially I am looking for something that can scan and copy as well as print. I will pay extra for something that will save me money on printing overall but don't want to spend over the odds for saving just a few cent or for extra features that won't benefit me that much.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/printers-scanners-and-ink/printers/brother-dcp1612w-monochrome-all-in-one-wireless-laser-printer-10124890-pdt.html

Any alternative suggestions are also greatly appreciated.

That printer costs more than €100 to manufacture. Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fireball81

Whatever you do, dont buy refills from Currys or Harvey Norman...a complete ripoff.

Printers are like Nespresso machines in a way, they sell the hardware cheap and they and recoup costs via the consumables.

Bought my 540 and 541 XLs via Amazon yesterday for €31...good reviews, way less than Canon XL packages (Cureys wanted €65 for those).

Re hardware...Tesco, Argos, Lidl even Supervalue often have Canon wireless scanner/printers for the €60 mark and for occasional household use these more than do the job.

ED E wrote: »
    Buy a CISS printer. Then buy a litre of ink for the price of one cart and never buy ink again for the rest of your life.
    Do you have to buy a printer that supports CISS or can you put the cartridges(connected to the bulk ink container) into your existing inkjet?

Do you have to buy a printer that supports CISS or can you put the cartridges(connected to the bulk ink container) into your existing inkjet?

You CAN buy adapter kits for some models. Would I? No. If you ever have a spill its like deepwater horizon so you want to do everything to mitigate that risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭chancer007

any recommendations for a printer that has easily refillable ink?
    had a HP envy before but it was robbery buying those cartridges...
    heading into currys later on..
    TIA

Advertisement