Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airline possibly about to go bankrupt...booked with credit card?

Options
  • 13-01-2020 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭

So, lots of rumour about Flybe's possible administration. If they do go bankrupt, is there any method of reclaiming that money? I can't find any Irish sources for the issue, only UK ones :(

The flight was around €65, not a major amount but I'm unemployed atm and would rather not deal with it. I booked with a credit card if that helps.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Qrt wrote: »
    So, lots of rumour about Flybe's possible administration. If they do go bankrupt, is there any method of reclaiming that money? I can't find any Irish sources for the issue, only UK ones :(

The flight was around €65, not a major amount but I'm unemployed atm and would rather not deal with it. I booked with a credit card if that helps.

Cheers.

If you booked with a credit card within 3 months you can do a chargeback.

You’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

If you booked with a credit card within 3 months you can do a chargeback.

You’ll be fine.

That's the old rules.

You now have a lot more time (can't remember off the top of my head) and the time starts when the service / product should have been delivered rather than the date of the transaction. (subject to an overall time limit)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm in the same boat, my flights were double that price unfortunately. Chargeback or travel insurance should sort me I hope, can't remember if I paid with cc or PayPal, will check tomorrow. My bigger concern is how I get to my destination now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Caranica wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat, my flights were double that price unfortunately. Chargeback or travel insurance should sort me I hope, can't remember if I paid with cc or PayPal, will check tomorrow. My bigger concern is how I get to my destination now.

I have free but very limited travel insurance, looked it up and it doesn’t cover it. I’m lucky I booked with Ryanair over and Flybe back, staying with fam so I’ll be grand. Fingers crossed for yourself 🀞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

Darc19 wrote: »
    That's the old rules.

You now have a lot more time (can't remember off the top of my head) and the time starts when the service / product should have been delivered rather than the date of the transaction. (subject to an overall time limit)

Thanks both of you, had no clue you could do a chargeback if a company ceases trading! Does the bank cough up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Thanks both of you, had no clue you could do a chargeback if a company ceases trading! Does the bank cough up?

Basically yes, the bank will try to recover funds from the merhcant when there is a chargeback. somes they win, othertimes they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

I had to chargeback for a hotel booking when a large booking company went belly up last year..

Got the funds back no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Flybe has agreed tax deferral with UK government (excess £100m)

This gives them more than enough cash flow to continue

Advertisement