Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dakar Rally 2020 - Rider killed

Options
  • 13-01-2020 5:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭

WADI AD-DAWASIR, Saudi Arabia: Portuguese motorbike rider Paulo Goncalves has died after a crash during Sunday’s Dakar Rally seventh stage, organizers announced.
    The 40-year-old suffered the fatal crash after 276 kilometers of the day’s ride from Riyadh to Wadi Al Dawasir.
    “The organizers received an alert at 10:08 (0708 GMT) and dispatched a medical helicopter that reached the biker at 10:16 and found him unconscious after going into cardiac arrest,” a statement on the rally’s official website reported.

A sad occurrence, the rally has finished in the northern part of the country is heading into the pure desert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Oops!

On his 13th Dakar with a best finish of second overall in 2015 since 2006.... Looked like he got cought out on an extremely fast section... Can happen to the best of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Riyadh? Thought they were staying away from terrorist countries.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I used to follow the Dakar but the move to Saudi was the last straw, didn't watch this year for the first time in decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,189 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

You missed some awesome scenery and as the Rally shall spend the next 5 years in Saudi, I guess that you can totally remove it from your sports list.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

smurfjed wrote: »
    You missed some awesome scenery and as the Rally shall spend the next 5 years in Saudi, I guess that you can totally remove it from your sports list.
    Don't worry, I have already done so. Africa Eco race is my new Rally viewing.
    Much closer to the spirit of the original Dakar.

• Advertisement
Advertisement