Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does rejection ever get any easier?

• 13-01-2020 9:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I, female, picked up the courage to ask a guy that I liked out. He's been single for as long as I've known him, a few years, doesn't have women lining up to see him and the turned me down. Does rejection ever get any easier?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭zapper55

Its absolutely possible for it not to feel so bad if you do work on your own self esteem.

Using the word rejection, is very emotionally loaded. They weren't interested. Could be for a million different reasons. Ive asked guys out that said no and honestly I wouldnt even see it as some sort of personal rejection, sure they'd hardly know me.

Also your post suggests surprise that he turned you down as he doesnt seem to have many offers. Firstly you have no way of knowing that, secondly that comes across as a bit arrogant.

I think you need to change your perception of being turned down. At the moment you are taking it very personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,085 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

You took a chance and asked. Not many do. So feel proud that you at least gave it a shot.
    Hopefully the next guy will say yes.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Regardless of whether he has women lining up or not, he doesn't have to agree to a date just because you asked. He clearly isn't interested in you, otherwise he would have said yes. On the bright side you asked him out, it's still not as common for women to do the asking, not nice to get a rejection but at least you tried. You know he's not interested, so move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If he’s been single for years and not encouraging attention, perhaps he’s very happily single by choice. Not necessary anything to do with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Augme

When you start asking people out quite often and getting rejected quite often you get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Daisy78

Regardless of whether he has women lining up or not, he doesn't have to agree to a date just because you asked. He clearly isn't interested in you, otherwise he would have said yes. On the bright side you asked him out, it's still not as common for women to do the asking, not nice to get a rejection but at least you tried. You know he's not interested, so move on.

Maybe a more positive optimistic take on this, you asked him out and he let you know that he wasn’t interested in taking you up on that offer. Who knows for what reason, maybe he doesn’t actually want to be in a relationship with anybody. It’s not a reflection on you at all. Rejection stings a bit and it can cause you to reflect negatively on yourself but you should remind yourself that he one guy out of millions, plenty more out there. Can I ask if he showed any signs of interest? Were you going on gut instinct or was there a bit of flirting there? In other words how well do you think you read the situation?

Advertisement