Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of moving to Porterstown area of Clonsilla. Any advice/thoughts?

Options
  • 13-01-2020 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all,

Searched boards but couldn't find anything about this area (not from a residential point of view anyway). Thinking of purchasing a house in The Village area of Porterstown in Clonsilla. Looks to be a small enough development that essentially backs onto (with a field between them) the Clonsilla Inn.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the place or indeed lives there. Looks quiet enough (and relatively off the beaten track). I'm a big fan of some of the other developments close by (such as Castlefield Park and Woods) but they are still charging what I would call a premium for houses that in some cases need a bit of work.

Have been renting in Allendale for 6 months and have liked what I've seen of Clonsilla so far.

Anywho, any thoughts greatfully appreciated.

Thanks!

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

The Village is a weird one, it's just one long street - but it's quiet and well-maintained. If you have kids, the national school right on the doorstep is a great place to send them (my kids go there) and it's very close to Coolmine train station.

However, do a bit of research into the zoning and planning for the surrounding lands. Being close to the train means that area is earmarked for higher density so what is currently a field will likely be a 4/5 storey apartment block within a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭paulie13

The Village is a weird one, it's just one long street - but it's quiet and well-maintained. If you have kids, the national school right on the doorstep is a great place to send them (my kids go there) and it's very close to Coolmine train station.

However, do a bit of research into the zoning and planning for the surrounding lands. Being close to the train means that area is earmarked for higher density so what is currently a field will likely be a 4/5 storey apartment block within a few years.

Thanks for that. Your last point is a very valid one. I asked the estate agent that very question at a viewing at the weekend and he reckoned they'd struggle to get PP for apartments so close to a school, but I'll definitely check it out.

Have spent a bit of time on this... It appears to be zoned for mixed use, but nothing more concrete than that that I can see at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

We viewed a nice house in The Village back in December - is there a halting site somewhere close to the entrance to the park? (maybe thinking of the wrong area)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,987 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Yea there is one down by Porterstown gates..... road down from mochtas school

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Seve OB wrote: »
    Yea there is one down by Porterstown gates..... road down from mochtas school

And is there an trouble with it? We walked past when on the way to The Village to view a house.... the other half didn't like the look of it.

I live near enough but not in the firing line so to speak. never really see to much bother. They are right beside football pitches.

An awful lot of burglaries goon on around the area lately. Neighbourhood patrol on high alert lately and I believe cops had a blitz and spent hours at the weekend stopping cars at luttrelstown secondary school just beside

Thanks a lot for all the info on this.

i cant really speak for clonsilla... i live on the other side of the tracks, but in general it is a great area to live in. the only problem is they just keep building more and more houses accommodation, with no parking, no gardens, 3 stories, on top of each other, duplexes appartments..... basically cramming loads more people into the area..... with no more infrastructure, schools, amenities etc.
    MASSIVE development planned and will be coming down the line very close to where you are looking at. Kellystown it is called.
    also, i believe the metro has been ditched which was supposed to come down the big wide road from the blanch and go to the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

paulie13 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. Your last point is a very valid one. I asked the estate agent that very question at a viewing at the weekend and he reckoned they'd struggle to get PP for apartments so close to a school, but I'll definitely check it out.

They allowed and built apartments pretty much in the car park of at Patrick's ns on diswellstown road not a mile away. Completely out of character with the area. If they allow that they'll allow anything.

They are allowing pretty much any thing these days. In the next 20yrs expect every scrap of green to be built in. Regardless of traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

paulie13 wrote: »

They’ve already built high density apartments just up the road in Hansfield right beside 4 schools (3 primary and 1 secondary school- Hansfield ETNS, Hansfield ETSS, St Benedict’s NS and Castaheany ETNS) so I’d pay no heed to what the estate agent says.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    They’ve already built high density apartments just up the road in Hansfield right beside 4 schools (3 primary and 1 secondary school- Hansfield ETNS, Hansfield ETSS, St Benedict’s NS and Castaheany ETNS) so I’d pay no heed to what the estate agent says.

This area is known as the Hansfield SDZ and has been planned and designed for nearly 20 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    This area is known as the Hansfield SDZ and has been planned and designed for nearly 20 years now.

I’m not sure the point you’re trying to make? I called the area “Hansfield”, but either way it doesn’t negate the fact that it’s also slap bang right beside 4 schools. So I doubt any area in Porterstown/Clonsilla is free from the prospect of apartments/high density builds on the basis that some estate agent uses the presence of a single and relatively small primary school as a reason they won’t be built.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Dublin Mum wrote: »
    I’m not sure the point you’re trying to make? I called the area “Hansfield”, but either way it doesn’t negate the fact that it’s also slap bang right beside 4 schools. So I doubt any area in Porterstown/Clonsilla is free from the prospect of apartments/high density builds on the basis that some estate agent uses the presence of a single and relatively small primary school as a reason they won’t be built.

Hansfield Special Development Zone (SDZ) was specifically designed in agreement with Fingal Co.Co. and the various Developers, to be high density. A unique feature of the SDZ was that infrastructure, such as schools, rail station etc, would be delivered in advance of the homes. Rather than the usual practice of years after the completion of the housing phase of the development.
    Originally Hansfield SDZ was to designed to be completed by 2010, however it is running 15 years late due to the recession etc.
    Ironically Hansfield Station was the first piece of infrastructure put in place and it sat in a empty field, unused for what seemed forever, before it eventually opened and train services commenced.

Advertisement