Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declare Tax On Freelance Work

Options
  • 13-01-2020 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all

I've been working a bit on Freelance SEO work while trying to save for a mortgage, and I've been getting maybe €100 to €200 into my bank account the last couple of months.

I've asked Revenue 3 times for help on how to declare this and pay whatever I own, but they've been more than useless or else don't reply.

Can anybody help me with like a step-by-step process on declaring this? Or do I even have to declare it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭micosoft

frankiekk wrote: »
    Hi all

I've been working a bit on Freelance SEO work while trying to save for a mortgage, and I've been getting maybe €100 to €200 into my bank account the last couple of months.

I've asked Revenue 3 times for help on how to declare this and pay whatever I own, but they've been more than useless or else don't reply.

Can anybody help me with like a step-by-step process on declaring this? Or do I even have to declare it?

It's not revenues job to help you figure out your tax liability.

If you don't know you have three options:
    1. Hire an accountant (preferably with a TAIN number i.e. recognised by revenue as tax advisor).
    2. Register for self assessment and read the very helpful advice revenue put up here.
    3. Give up and don't "freelance".

Now if you really only earn max of €200 (<€2400 PA) a month the answer is there on the revenue site but given you haven't bothered read the site I'm not going to do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Hi all

You have to declare it , ring an accountancy firm and tell them you want a personal income tax return completed but you'll do that when the tax year you earned the money in ends. They'll calculate how much tax is due and instruct you how to pay it. For a fee obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Hi all

If you're earning max €200pm ( and ignoring any expenses which you may be entitled to deduct from that ) then you can file it on eForm12 via MyAccount after the end of the year. The Tax/USC due will then be collected either by you paying Revenue directly or coding into future tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hi all

No need to ring Revenue.

Simply add the income into your normal Form 12 tax return.

It's easy to do.

Make sure to deduct any expenses you incurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Hi all

https://www.revenue.ie/en/additional-incomes/is-your-extra-income-taxable/index.aspx

Fill in a form 12 Income tax return online via myaccount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 frankiekk

Thanks all (well, most of ye)! Got it sorted. Revenue even got back to me about the Form 12 too...looks like it's revenues job to help me figure out my tax liability.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,348 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Thanks all (well, most of ye)! Got it sorted. Revenue even got back to me about the Form 12 too...looks like it's revenues job to help me figure out my tax liability.

Just to note...it's not.

It's always the taxpayers responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Its not, it's self assessment.
    Don't confuse the courtesy/generosity of strangers with transfer of responsibility/liability

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

They’re not helping you figure out your tax liability, they’re facilitating you in filing the correct tax return, big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Tow

micosoft wrote: »
    1. Hire an accountant (preferably with a TAIN number i.e. recognised by revenue as tax advisor).

Anyone can apply for a TAIN number, if they do the tax return for another person/company. It means nothing else!

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
Advertisement