Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bmw k series cafe racer advice

Options
  • 13-01-2020 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Looking for advice on some parts of the cafe racer build...

Mainly the speedometer and headlight..
    Speedos and headlights can be bought online from 15 dollars to 1000...

Does anybody have advice on what they used that worked?

Really appreciated...havent been on boards in years and YouTube iS overwhelming with videos..some of which along with learning along way I have used..

A speedometer for a bmw k 75 that doesn't come from china(no offence china)

Im pretty handy (alright like) with mechanics but not with electrical stuff..complicated stuff anyway...speedo seems complicated enough ....

Thanks for reading if u did so

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭H_Lime

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=Trail+tech+vapor&_trksid=p2334524.m4084.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.XTrail+tech+vapor.TRS0&_odkw=Vapor+dash
    Fitted the above in the past. Multiple options for getting reads on temp, rpm and speed etc.
    Pretty easy to set up too with a magnetic bolt or just epoxy a small magnet somewhere within the sweep of the sensor, accuracy good actually once dialled in.

There's koso and a multitude of others out there and all probably chinesium too but decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That would look out of place on a cafe build.

listermint wrote: »

I wouldn't know what would tbh as I don't drink coffee and generally only stop for gazaleen:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

listermint wrote: »

Agreed ..IMO things like digital readouts and LED lights on an old bike look pants..i'm ok with USD forks and better brakes tho....:)

• Advertisement

I'll leave it to you trendy cafe types then lol:)
    As I say not my bag but do enjoy seeing the works undertaken.
    Best of luck with it Tomazzi and I'm pretty certain we encountered each other work wise lately. Gs1200 too yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomazzi

Shiite, I wrote a lengthy reply..included a link for an oldschool speedometer and it ate my post the basstards for being a new user...

Its a craftride speedometer Motorcycle Tachometer for BMW K 75 C / RT / S VTV chrome on eabay I saw it....

Thanks for the advices

No iv a gs650 however lime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭airhead_eire

Speedwell are the popular type for these type of builds.

Tomazzi wrote: »
    Shiite, I wrote a lengthy reply..included a link for an oldschool speedometer and it ate my post the basstards for being a new user...

Its a craftride speedometer Motorcycle Tachometer for BMW K 75 C / RT / S VTV chrome on eabay I saw it....

Thanks for the advices

No iv a gs650 however lime
    My bad, now I at least know there are a minimum of two lads doing a cafe racer k75!
    Good luck with the build and whip up some pics;)

H_Lime wrote: »
    My bad, now I at least know there are a minimum of two lads doing a cafe racer k75!
    Good luck with the build and whip up some pics;)

I dont know if I can upload anything now..links or pictures...
    Thanks guys...

The k 75 which when I got it was an rt model...like some police used in the past was pretty cool looking but unbelievably heavy...
    480 kgs was stamped on its model number on frame...im 80 kgs I think...

The stuff I have taken off it..the no going back im turning u into a cafe racer build is amazing...electric windshield motors, old fibreglass fairing, the weight of all the stuff iv said a few times id like to weigh it..or just weigh the bike when finished...

For anyone interested..the original stuff I plan on keeping, (im 60% through the build ) is the original tail light...I like the look of it...kinda 80s knightrider vibe... also the tail section im doing abit of isopol and making holes dissapear and finding correct position..

I would like to keep the original back end look and feel cuz the tank on these is pretty cool, kind of batmanish...

Saying that, I dont think its gonna be instagram quality, but rather a little madmaxish...

Il upload a few pics when I find out how to...

*update .. I bought a craftwork spedo and rev counter...a two part thing..you know it looks old school..it was cheap enough but il leave original on until its driving around...

Thank you again for inspiration and replies guys

• Advertisement

I lost a phone with previous pictures so this is where it starts kind of

Aone more pics

I know it looks ratty...

Im not planning a fill tear down until I finish the bike to a good driving standard...

From what iv learned ao far, painting stuff early in my case means scratches...so it would be nice when bike is finally done to get the frame painted.... id like a ktm kinda colour...maybe orange frame, diy of course...its fun to paint....but it would be nice to gwt the thing sandblasted.....

First project...but definitely a great learning, sometimes very frustrating, ahy do some bolts want to go in sideways!!

Thanks again for looking

Current state

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Aone more pics

That looks like its gonna be a stunning looking bike - fair play!

Current state

Looking well. Put up a build thread, always a good way to chart your progress and get help if stuck.
    Always tempting to rip it asunder and coat everything and then troubleshoot on reassemble but as you say it's kinda arse ways to do it. Guilty of this in the past.

How's she running now?

The bike is running a1
    Its a 97 with 48000 miles when I got it in july..its 50 miles shy of 50000 miles now...toured it in its rt state...lovely bike...

I cracked part of the fairing one day on a wet boyroad and sort of went taxi driver on it from then on...

Fair play..nice to see someone interested in building rather than buying.....it's rare in Ireland these days...

There is no power in the house the bike is in...so its abit of a cave at times...cutting anything means hack saw or take out and wheel down the road to power...there is a nice hill too which gives me a work out on way ba k up...there is a little trottle issue right now so thats why it aint ready to drive..on reassembly something is too toght which makes it want to go high rpm...il sort soon...a build thread lime...jez, maybe...I dont want to go hyping it up as I said im aiming more at a goose bike from madmax than something polished and cromed on instagram....
    Thanks again guys for kind words....

Yes it is nice to modify something old..bring new life...
    Something about these k series bikes, very user friendly in some ways..probably the big old square engine...

Update* I did wheel it out earlier and cut the back end..the frame...it sort of sits nicely now the rear tail and light...

Much of my time with this bike is spent looking at it...waiting for the bikemusecafe gods to tell me when it ia time to cut etc...

Mustered the balls to cut

• Advertisement

Lookin good there Bubba....stick a seat on it and go....no need to do anymore to it...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Are you sure you want a speedo?

I much prefer the clean look without them.
    Most people would agree with me for CR builds!

As for headlight I'd always go OEM chrome circular from Honda or Suzuki or the likes with Osram Cool Blue bulb. Classy with the modern.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Also a lot of wires needed for a speedo that could be hard to hide on a CR.. go without!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,915 ✭✭✭✭listermint

CorkCBR6 wrote: »
    Are you sure you want a speedo?

I much prefer the clean look without them.
    Most people would agree with me for CR builds!

As for headlight I'd always go OEM chrome circular from Honda or Suzuki or the likes with Osram Cool Blue bulb. Classy with the modern.

No Speedo... Is that even road legal.

Ha haha....no speedo...I like seeing things go up and down along with the whirls of the engine...it would be like paying for an opera without seeing the dudewith the little stick....

Only cableties keeping things together yet max...
    Havent even taken for a short spin yet, so not even aure of the noise from that pipe..

There is alot of room under the tank and also since I kept ba k end, I dont need worry about the two computers that are there or whatever they are....

Il need more info qhen I get underway for fitting speedo and lights...
    Yes cbr, it would be cool to get a sweet headlight...something, that really looks well....

For now I guess il have to get back to soapy water and toothbrushes because the dust grease is pretty thick..

Is there a spray I can use, even made in a 99.c spray bottle that can be used over the electrics under the tank...its filthy but im staying away due to them being electrical etc...

Built a few CR's and street scramblers and tbh I prefer the sitting up position...i'd stick a set of fat bars ,simple headlight and adventure bike tyres....thats just me tho...:o

Iv seen them, they look sweet alright...
    I just dont rate them as a scramber type...the suspensions arent very friendly to potholes or bad roads, Maybe if they were changed, but not what me or my pocket has in mind..

Im looking to buy some garden macheriney if this thing goes well and pop it on donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Fair play, that looks like it is coming together nicely.

That said, I don't envy you driving it.

After lusting after an 80s dinosaur, I rode a highly modified VF1000 for two years.
    The handling was OK, but you could never get past the sheer bulk of the thing.

And that was still well under 300kg wet.

Lorddrakul wrote: »

That said, I don't envy you driving it.

After lusting after an 80s dinosaur, I rode a highly modified VF1000 for two years.
    The handling was OK, but you could never get past the sheer bulk of the thing.

And that was still well under 300kg wet.

Back when they built bikes fo us real men......:P

• Advertisement

Lorddrakul wrote: »

Its coming on slowly...blew a fuse or two other day trying to wire in new indicators..
    Think il need to go into the woodshed and read up on wiring
    Cheers Vlad!

Advertisement