Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen to sinn fein after this election.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But Martin made no attempt to change their mind...

The said no. When people say no, you usually leave them to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

It's not the case, only because it doesnt suit their cap in hand position now.

I wasnt at any ard feis, you must have me confused for someone else.

you have a problem with English comprehension, but thats ok,

I said
    "Do you not remember at their latest Ard Feis where the party..."
    not
    "Do you not remember BEING at their latest Ard Feis where the party..."

Its very clear that SF have signalled that they will now consider joining a coalition, and has been for quite a while.

Whether the SF party leadership avail of that option remains to be seen, but I would seriously doubt its going to happen with FG, and if it happens with FF i'm sure they would have to be a solid agreement on a government program before any deal is done.
    Coalition with FF has long been a poisoned chalice, those who drink need to be very sure of what they are doing and signing up to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

efanton wrote: »
    you have a problem with English comprehension, but thats ok,

I said
    "Do you not remember at their latest Ard Feis where the party..."
    not
    "Do you not remember BEING at their latest Ard Feis where the party..."

Its very clear that SF have signalled that they will now consider joining a coalition, and has been for quite a while.

Whether the SF party leadership avail of that option remains to be seen, but I would seriously doubt its going to happen with FG, and if it happens with FF i'm sure they would have to be a solid agreement on a government program before any deal is done.
    Coalition with FF has long been a poisoned chalice, those who drink need to be very sure of what they are doing and signing up to.

Asking me if I remembered something, suggests you think I should have something to recall. I dont. Which is why I felt you were thinking of someone else. Why are you making this personal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭efanton

Asking me if I remembered something, suggests you think I should have something to recall. I dont. Which is why I felt you were thinking of someone else. Why are you making this personal?

I am not making it personal at all.

I assumed that being on this forum you were reasonably informed of each political parties stance. Any party's Ard Feis is pretty big new, and well reported.
    Surely if you were interested in fair and informed debate being informed and fair might be prerequisites and having an understanding of different party's policies might be relevant

I would like to ask though how you deem yourself capable of comment on any particular party's policies or viewpoint if you have not even given a cursory overview as to what happened at that party's last Ard Feis or briefed yourself of their policy documents?

Personally I would never vote FG, but I do endeavour to follow what went on at their Ard Feis (after all that's where part members have their say not just the politicians) and any party policies that may have been published.
    Do I vote FG, never, but do I actually understand their policies and what was raised by FG party members at their yearly Ard Feis, the answer to that would be yes even if I do not agree.
    But in order for me to debate with a FG supporter (or indeed a supporter of any party) the least I can do is inform myself before making comment.

How could you (or I) possibly criticise another party's policies without actually reading them first for yourself and trying to understand what those policies might be trying to achieve.
    It seems prejudice and ill-informed views are still very much alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

the two bigger parties would **** themselves if they were in power with SF, mainly because SF TDs wouldnt take the bull****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

maccored wrote: »
    the two bigger parties would **** themselves if they were in power with SF, mainly because SF TDs wouldnt take the bull****.

Don't cod yourself, they're all politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why not, they are pumping it out day after day?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If FG continue to struggle in the polls, I wonder will Varadkar resort to SF-under-the-bed scaremongering? SF's apparent surge in the polls could ironically be a help to him here. If it looks like the same situation will pertain after this election as the last one, i.e. a government can only be formed by two out of three from FF, FG and SF, he can be justified in at least raising the question of whether FF can be trusted not to do a deal with SF.

So FG are highlighting the risks of the 'two from three' scenario alright, but they're taking a different tack to what I expected. They seem to be accepting that Martin is genuine about ruling out a deal with SF but pointing out that by also (apparently) ruling out a deal with FG, they are effectively making it impossible to form a government and precipitating an immediate second general election. Although I reckon the implicit threat is that FF might reconsider its position on coalition with SF after that election...

bladespin wrote: »
    Don't cod yourself, they're all politicians.

As a SF member, i give them that trust until it's abused. They haven't had the chance to do that as yet. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do whenever they eventually get into power.

You could be cynical and say 'they're all the same' - but considering Ireland has only ever had the same two parties running the place since the state was created, you cant be cynical - only of FF and FG.

I'd love the see how long either FF of FG would last toe to toe with the DUP. Both parties would run a mile - so theres no point looking at whats happening in Stormont to decide how SF would fare because they are doing much better than any of their opposition in the south would

As a SF member, i give them that trust until it's abused. They haven't had the chance to do that as yet. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do whenever they eventually get into power.

You could be cynical and say 'they're all the same' - but considering Ireland has only ever had the same two parties running the place since the state was created, you cant be cynical - only of FF and FG.

I'd love the see how long either FF of FG would last toe to toe with the DUP. Both parties would run a mile - so theres no point looking at whats happening in Stormont to decide how SF would fare because they are doing much better than any of their opposition in the south would

Load of rubbish mate, Dessie taking the ‘full package’ and intimating he was on the AIW.

Clear off pal.

Rumbled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Load of rubbish mate, Dessie taking the ‘full package’ and intimating he was on the AIW.

Clear off pal.

Rumbled.

I love this thinking.

If one member of SF does something against the rules or the law, it reflects on all of SF and all republicans. But if a FGer or FFer breaks the law or rules it doesn't reflect on all of FG or FF.

We had a FGer caught on camera demanding bungs/money to influence planning decisions (loadsamoney). Was anybody suggesting that all of FG were fraudsters and extortionists?

Rumbled Brendan.

I love this thinking.

If one member of SF does something against the rules or the law, it reflects on all of SF and all republicans. But if a FGer or FFer breaks the law or rules it doesn't reflect on all of FG or FF.

We had a FGer caught on camera demanding bungs/money to influence planning decisions (loadsamoney). Was anybody suggesting that all of FG were fraudsters and extortionists?

Rumbled Brendan.

Aaah Francie, the auld knee must be giving you gypp.

There’s a big difference in a party putting out an untrue impression to the electorate, as against some maverick going rogue on his own.

Slipping up F.

Aaah Francie, the auld knee must be giving you gypp.

There’s a big difference in a party putting out an untrue impression to the electorate, as against some maverick going rogue on his own.

Slipping up F.

What is the knee reference? Lost.

Do you lose 'trust' in a party because one or two or even more abuse their positions?

What party is there to trust if that is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

I love this thinking.

Rumbled Brendan.

More whataboutery!!

Clear off pal.

Rumbled.

oooooh ... hit a sore spot? I see you're a bit of a hard man with your 'clear off pal" :pac::pac: Hilarious.

You post makes no sense at all btw - as I have said they've never been in power. Try a bit harder and try to have a point.

oooooh ... hit a sore spot? I see you're a bit of a hard man with your 'clear off pal" :pac::pac: Hilarious.

You post makes no sense at all btw - as I have said they've never been in power. Try a bit harder and try to have a point.

They have been in power in NI the last 20 years.

What have they achieved?

More whataboutery!!

Everytime I mention 'loadsamoney' somebody pops up with the 'whataboutery' rant.

What have they achieved?

As I have already said - would FF or FG have done any better? No, they wouldnt have. In fact the DUP would have bitched slapped them into subservience years ago.

Compare like to like - Stormont is a hard partnership in comparison to anywhere in the world.

As I have already said - would FF or FG have done any better? No, they wouldnt have. In fact the DUP would have bitched slapped them into subservience years ago.

Compare like to like - Stormont is a hard partnership in comparison to anywhere in the world.

Oh right, you have the last 20 years figured out with FF/FG in power up the North even though its impossible.

Wow the whataboutery has taken on new levels.

Everytime I mention 'loadsamoney' somebody pops up with the 'whataboutery' rant.

Still not voting SF and not a SF supporter Francie?

Who you voting for?

• Advertisement

Oh right, you have the last 20 years figured out with FF/FG in power up the North even though its impossible.

Wow the whataboutery has taken on new levels.

what, like your question? 'Lets compare two completely different political environments and pretend they are the same?'. If FF or FG had been in the north instead of SF there never would have been a peace process. To be fair there probably wouldnt have been a conflict either as FG and FF would have became unionists themselves.

Still not voting SF and not a SF supporter Francie?

Who you voting for?

From a poster who was complaining about 'whataboutery'.

I have already posted who i will be voting for.

From a poster who was complaining about 'whataboutery'.

I have already posted who i will be voting for.

Didn't see it sorry.

So who?

what, like your question? 'Lets compare two completely different political environments and pretend they are the same?'. If FF or FG had been in the north instead of SF there never would have been a peace process. To be fair there probably wouldnt have been a conflict either as FG and FF would have became unionists themselves.

When did I ask to compare 2 different political environments?

I just asked what have SF achieved in the last 20 years in power up North.

That's all. Nothing else.

But you jumped in with well FF/FG would have been worst.

Classic whataboutery.

Classic whataboutery.

you said SF have been in power in the north for 20 years. For a start they havent. They've been the junior party in a 'government' influenced greatly by WM. It is, as I have previously pointed out a completely different political environment.

Buy a dictionary and look up 'whataboutery'. Its bound to have your picture.

Classic whataboutery.

maccored had already made the point about FF/FG before you jumped in.
    Are you reading the threads at all or just responding to individual posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

What have they achieved?

increased democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,353 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

If it's a high turnout and people who ususlly dont vote get to ballot box they might get that angry vote and do well. I do think 2 main parties are worried about them to extent and you see that in the debates.

To me some of their policies are bit crazy and unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Rich Boy Barrett wants S.F. to stay out of any coalition with F.F. or F.F and have a Grand Coalition of the Left also called Headbangers United.
    Not sure would it be Stalinist Lenininsts or Slabist Trotskyist but I'd give that one a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Edgware wrote: »
    Rich Boy Barrett wants S.F. to stay out of any coalition with F.F. or F.F and have a Grand Coalition of the Left also called Headbangers United.
    Not sure would it be Stalinist Lenininsts or Slabist Trotskyist but I'd give that one a week
    y'know what? i'd like to see that. they'd kill off the left in Ireland for a generation.

Advertisement