Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen to sinn fein after this election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

maccored wrote: »
    you raise a valid point - it seems the DUP once again get a get out of jail free card in order to get stormont open.

If they 'rolled over' it was because they had a clear mandate to get stormont back in action from their voters. lets see what happens once the report comes out (if it does) because Arlene has questions to answer

If the report has been shelved then it must contain equally as bad stuff on SF, SDLP the Alliance and virtually all political entities in NI.

Why would the other parties stay silent about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

like the general election last month?

The one in which they lost more votes than the DUP?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

blanch152 wrote: »
    The one in which they lost more votes than the DUP?

was it not an election? by golly but i think it was. therefore what election were they avoiding (was the point i was making but sure work away at distorting that)

I think the fact you are comparing such a complicated issue as the north to a family squabble says a lot about your understanding of these things

There is nothing as complicated as a family squabble.

If the report has been shelved then it must contain equally as bad stuff on SF, SDLP the Alliance and virtually all political entities in NI.

Why would the other parties stay silent about it?

did Coghlin release it to parties as yet? Didnt realise he had

• Advertisement

was it not an election? by golly but i think it was. therefore what election were they avoiding (was the point i was making but sure work away at distorting that)

Understand now.

Well, it is clear what was being avoided. Both the DUP and SF got hammered in the recent general election, and were facing further significant losses in Assembly elections, so a deal was a much better place for both of them.

There is nothing as complicated as a family squabble.

ah go away with that rubbish. theres no similarities whatsoever

Understand now.

Well, it is clear what was being avoided. Both the DUP and SF got hammered in the recent general election, and were facing further significant losses in Assembly elections, so a deal was a much better place for both of them.

SF already had a deal almost 18 months ago but let's ignore that because perish the thought, republicans might 'seem to be the more reasonable' and we cannot refer to themun's being all the same. We couldn't have that going into an election in the south. I can hear FG and FF reps being schooled already.

Bizarre stuff again blanch.

did Coghlin release it to parties as yet? Didnt realise he had

No.
    But the point is, why would the other parties stay silent on it not being published? Unless they are all afraid what it will reveal about them.

SF already had a deal almost 18 months ago

That was a different deal to this one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭2020Vision

you raise a valid point - it seems the DUP once again get a get out of jail free card in order to get stormont open.

If they 'rolled over' it was because they had a clear mandate to get stormont back in action from their voters. lets see what happens once the report comes out (if it does) because Arlene has questions to answer

Indeed. But I find it curious that a principled Party like Sinn Fein didn't appear to have any problem with someone with "questions to answer" being appointed as First Minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,356 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I think the fact you are comparing such a complicated issue as the north to a family squabble says a lot about your understanding of these things

I thought it was an excellent analogy.....

No.
    But the point is, why would the other parties stay silent on it not being published? Unless they are all afraid what it will reveal about them.

get you now. Im not too worried what it says tbh - I just want to see if Arlene gets the blame she's due

walshb wrote: »
    I thought it was an excellent analogy.....

good for you

2020Vision wrote: »
    Indeed. But I find it curious that a principled Party like Sinn Fein didn't appear to have any problem with someone with "questions to answer" being appointed as First Minister.

personally i did

That was a different deal to this one.

Marginally.

She 'answered the questions', now we need to see what a judge has to say about that.

If she is heavily criticised I am sure she will be asked by more than SF to consider her position. Don't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What is SF going on with up in Cavan/Monaghan.

It appears, and I may not be fully informed,that Matt Carty only elected as an MEP a few months ago, has declared for the current GE as a canditate for Cavan Monaghan.

Does this mean that if Mr Carty is elected his MEP seat goes to some unelected SF person.

Is this not a complete disrespect of the electorate up there and a disrespect for the MEP position.

If I am correct I would certainly not vote for a canditate who pulls a stunt like that.

And I am aware that other parties have done similar sleight of hand operations.

Time for the voters to wake up, and not be taken for fools.

Something wrong with this kind of stuff.

What is SF going on with up in Cavan/Monaghan.

It appears, and I may not be fully informed,that Matt Carty only elected as an MEP a few months ago, has declared for the current GE as a canditate for Cavan Monaghan.

Does this mean that if Mr Carty is elected his MEP seat goes to some unelected SF person.

Is this not a complete disrespect of the electorate up there and a disrespect for the MEP position.

If I am correct I would certainly not vote for a canditate who pulls a stunt like that.

And I am aware that other parties have done similar sleight of hand operations.

Time for the voters to wake up, and not be taken for fools.

Something wrong with this kind of stuff.

Not a fan of the dual mandate myself and I think it should trigger another election if something like this happens.

This was put to Carty strongly, over and over again during the Euro's. He refused to say whether he would run in the next GE but I doubt there was a single person in the constituency here who doubted that he would.

He didn't lie, he just didn't answer the question with a yes or a no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

mariaalice wrote: »
    Labour could make a comeback if SF declines? the middling left vote has to go somewhere.

I don't think so, many will remember the last time and will see it as a proxy vote for FG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Not a fan of the dual mandate myself and I think it should trigger another election if something like this happens.

This was put to Carty strongly, over and over again during the Euro's. He refused to say whether he would run in the next GE but I doubt there was a single person in the constituency here who doubted that he would.

He didn't lie, he just didn't answer the question with a yes or a no.

I’d prefer that the successful candidate serves the full term and is disbarred from being a candidate in other elections for that period.

Why waste taxpayers money with another election?

How is the auld knee Francie, good as new hopefully?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

Sinn Fein are the globalist toerags of Tesco, Homebase, Harvey norman, etc.etc., every English conglomerate (and global), that they can make a pretext niche of flattering.
    They position themselves with these; and, with this unsound alliance, they braggart and sway, to facilitate a few unskilled jobs; for their Own local votes; and themselves.
    Even the remotest local dissent from this Will be checked.
    They are true to English money.

Sinn Fein are the globalist toerags of Tesco, Homebase, Harvey norman, etc.etc., every English conglomerate (and global), that they can make a pretext niche of flattering.
    They position themselves with these; and, with this unsound alliance, they braggart and sway, to facilitate a few unskilled jobs; for their Own local votes; and themselves.
    Even the remotest local dissent from this Will be checked.
    They are true to English money.

what rubbish

I’d prefer that the successful candidate serves the full term and is disbarred from being a candidate in other elections for that period.

Why waste taxpayers money with another election?

How is the auld knee Francie, good as new hopefully?

Well, democracy is never a waste Brendi, in my book.

Maybe some system of co-opting the next lowest vote in their place? Saying as it is a resignation from the position.

But I fancy there wouldn't be many political parties would go for that across all bodies (EU, Dail etc)

what rubbish

Your lucky...I couldn't make head nor tail of it. :)

She 'answered the questions', now we need to see what a judge has to say about that.

If she is heavily criticised I am sure she will be asked by more than SF to consider her position. Don't you?

My opinion isn't really relevant, seeing as I'm residing in a different polity.

However Sinn Fein's is, and I remain puzzled as to how someone who was so unacceptable to them 3 years ago that they pulled the plug because she wouldn't step aside is now acceptable, although the cash for ash issue remains unresolved. Perhaps it was the trade-off of an Irish Language Act for Arlene that swung it!

My opinion isn't really relevant, seeing as I'm residing in a different polity.

However Sinn Fein's is, and I remain puzzled as to how someone who was so unacceptable to them 3 years ago that they pulled the plug because she wouldn't step aside is now acceptable, although the cash for ash issue remains unresolved. Perhaps it was the trade-off of an Irish Language Act for Arlene that swung it!

Maybe, I don't know tbh.

Knowing how these things work here and in every other jurisdiction I don't think the sanction will be that great on Arlene anyhow. If that is what it was then getting the Unionists to agree to the Irish language measures (which the wouldn't countenance before, then it was a compromise worth making. Arlene is the walking wounded anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,524 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's not because she is politically, walking wounded, that she is walking the way she does, these days, IYKWIM.

Water John wrote: »
    It's not because she is politically, walking wounded, that she is walking the way she does, these days, IYKWIM.

Unfortunately IDKWYM. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

joe40 wrote: »
    It has been over 20 years since the good Friday agreement, and there have been no terrorist type activities linked to Sinn Fein or condoned by Sinn Fein since then.

20 years after the civil war and war of independence opposing parties were in government. 20 years after wwII where millions perished the opposing countries were able to form the EEC.

Constantly harking back to the NI troubles is tiresome, it has been 20 years, time to move on.

How many people are critical of everything Sinn Fein related as a result of NI, and activities of the past.

As a political party they should be judged solely on current policies.
    They still have brilliant ideas like abolishing the Special Criminal Court and talking up a border poll.

Advertisement