Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen to sinn fein after this election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Not a fan of the dual mandate myself and I think it should trigger another election if something like this happens.

This was put to Carty strongly, over and over again during the Euro's. He refused to say whether he would run in the next GE but I doubt there was a single person in the constituency here who doubted that he would.

He didn't lie, he just didn't answer the question with a yes or a no.

That's the system.. Posh Boy Murphygot a stint in Europe when Joe Higgins was elected T.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Edgware wrote: »
    That's the system.. Posh Boy Murphygot a stint in Europe when Joe Higgins was elected T.D.

Great way of getting two pensions. Thing is, Carty was blatant about it.

I hope the voters leave him in Europe.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mep-replacements-4632096-May2019/

Darren O'Rourke will replace him.

He is a candidate in Meath who opposes the smoky coal ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

blanch152 wrote: »
    Great way of getting two pensions. Thing is, Carty was blatant about it.

I hope the voters leave him in Europe.

I think everybody round Cavan knew he was going to run in the GE.

Caoimhin retiring, and he's the anointed successor. Twas rare enough to be about Cavan and not see a large poster at some junction for one of his public meetings in the last few years.

If he wins there's some fella from Kells I think takes the EU seat. If not back to EU.

A win/win strategy for SF. Perhaps a little cynical but entirely within the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Yep, a system they all sign up to and are aware of.

is_that_so wrote: »
    They still have brilliant ideas like abolishing the Special Criminal Court and talking up a border poll.

They now have the chance to spell out their policies. The People can decide whether they are in favour of them or not. Personally I dont believe that they are any bit left wing. O Donnel lwould jump aboard a F.G. or F.F. coalition in the morning if offered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

maccored wrote: »
    Is this the standard 'An election is coming, lets predict SF's demise' thread? After all the other threads, they're still around
    Their vote fell 5% in the locals so there are questions about how that will filter through plus they have retirements. They will lose seats, the question is how many.

They now have the chance to spell out their policies. The People can decide whether they are in favour of them or not. Personally I dont believe that they are any bit left wing. O Donnel lwould jump aboard a F.G. or F.F. coalition in the morning if offered
    I think they might, just might look at a confidence and supply deal with very rigid demands. Coalition is a bridge too far IMO.

I think they might, just might look at a confidence and supply deal with very rigid demands. Coalition is a bridge too far IMO.

They have no problem taking the Queen's shilling so why would they not take the goodies in Dail Eireann. It's not that they have any principles to uphold

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Yep, a system they all sign up to and are aware of.

In my opinion this ‘system’ needs changing.

In my opinion this ‘system’ needs changing.

I would have been when you posted about it first too, but I didn't realise they have to name a successor. As long as the info is out there for those concerned and it is actually the nominated that replaces, I think it is as good and economical way of doing it you can get.

I think reforming the system where you can get paid and not actually turn up at all or the system that allows voting when you are not actually in the chamber is in more need of reform.

• Advertisement

I would have been when you posted about it first too, but I didn't realise they have to name a successor. As long as the info is out there for those concerned and it is actually the nominated that replaces, I think it is as good and economical way of doing it you can get.

I think reforming the system where you can get paid and not actually turn up at all or the system that allows voting when you are not actually in the chamber is in more need of reform.

Yes, agree with the last paragraph.

However I still think the business of standing for election, jacking out after a few months, going for another election and if successful shunting another punter you nominated into your seat is extremely questionable.

No way would I agree that this is a good system.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Their vote fell 5% in the locals so there are questions about how that will filter through plus they have retirements. They will lose seats, the question is how many.

They'll lose seats obviously, as FF will gain seats. The real point is that over the past 2 decades their number of TDs has exploded - no matter if they lose seats this time or not.

Yes, agree with the last paragraph.

However I still think the business of standing for election, jacking out after a few months, going for another election and if successful shunting another punter you nominated into your seat is extremely questionable.

No way would I agree that this is a good system.

Have you a way to do it? Presumably you cannot stop someone having the choice in a democracy, so short of another election, how would you do it better?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Is it ok for me to say to SF canvassers that I don't want a United Ireland and that I want Donegal moved into NI because they are mainly weirdos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

I suspect (hope) that SF will lose seats & flatline at about 12% of the vote.
    They seem bereft of anything imaginative or inspiring + I think their leader is dire. Every time she opens her mouth I just want to turn off :( Hopefully Labour will grab some of their seats.

So much baggage too, but I won't go there now.

Have you a way to do it? Presumably you cannot stop someone having the choice in a democracy, so short of another election, how would you do it better?

It’s a difficult one, perhaps the next candidate who came ’second’ should get the job.

That might focus the mind a bit more perhaps.

I doubt if voters give too much thought to the nominated replacements.

Or know too much about them.

I certainly had no idea who the replacements were in my constituency last European elections.

They'll lose seats obviously, as FF will gain seats. The real point is that over the past 2 decades their number of TDs has exploded - no matter if they lose seats this time or not.
    Not according to this thread title. They do now have some reflection to do because their current brand will never bring them anywhere near the seat of power.

It’s a difficult one, perhaps the next candidate who came ’second’ should get the job.

I certainly had no idea who the replacements were in my constituency last European elections.
    They all nominate alternates at the time of their candidacy. Casey had his wife down! :D

Maybe they should be made run as teams? All literature/media advertising to have candidate and nominated replacement mentioned along specific guidelines common to all.
    I don't see why that can't be done as they have to name them on nomination papers anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

They seem bereft of anything imaginative or inspiring + I think their leader is dire. Every time she opens her mouth I just want to turn off :( Hopefully Labour will grab some of their seats.

Aren't Labour just the same really? Can't see them gaining much at all, they're bigger chancers than SF and that's saying some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

No, Labour are not the same.

Not according to this thread title. They do now have some reflection to do because their current brand will never bring them anywhere near the seat of power.

eh? Are you denying the real world here or something? Sinn Fein had one td seat in 2000. thats a massive increase in 20 years

eh? Are you denying the real world here or something? Sinn Fein had one td seat in 2000. thats a massive increase in 20 years
    No I'm right on topic. You seem to have a penchant for the once upon a time stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,324 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Their ability to attract transfers is arguably a bigger issue than their headline percentage.

I wouldn't piss on a SF candidate if they were on fire, much less give them a transfer and there are plenty more like me.

They'll never rise above being a belligerent voice of opposition who pander to the intellectually-challenged, which given their lack of any credible policies, probably suits them too.

bladespin wrote: »
    Aren't Labour just the same really? Can't see them gaining much at all, they're bigger chancers than SF and that's saying some.
    Labour are usually be more transfer-friendly as a party, especially in the middle classes, once they've been forgiven for yet another self-inflicted disappointment.

No I'm right on topic. You seem to have a penchant for the once upon a time stuff.

Ah right, now i get you. You’ve completely mislaid the context of replies in other words. Move along.

No, Labour are not the same.

How so? Leadership vacuum that's turning voters off (though a huge improvement on the last IMO). They've also completely betrayed their core principals on more than one occasion, something the Shinners may/may not do but haven't actually done yet (they are flippers IMO but not as bad as the Labs).

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

I can safely say I would never vote for Sinn Fein for a combination of various reasons (history, personalities, lack of convincing policies etc)

I don’t see them as government material.

However, more and more I recognize they can and do play an important role in opposition. sometimes more so than Labour or any of the independents.

More importantly though, as a party with the stated aim of achieving reunification, they have made significantly more progress towards that goal in the last 20 years than in the previous 20 years. In other words; peace and democracy is and should be a more fruitful path than the violence that preceded it.

So, while I can’t see myself ever voting for them I do value them in a way I never though I would.

I'll be voting David Cullinane number 1.

• Advertisement

I'll be voting David Cullinane number 1.

It might be better to vote for him during the election, not after as the thread relates.;)

Advertisement