Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will happen to sinn fein after this election.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

They won't fall off a cliff.
    They are lacking a spark, however I think it'll be another spread of votes with FF taking a marginal lead.
    MM said he wouldn't deal with SF. I think both FF and FG have some neck in that regard.

Lacking a spark you say, well thankfully those days are over, and the only lighting of fuses will be a metaphorical fuse at the start of an election campaign :)

I think whatever happens, SF should keep Mary Lou as leader because she's woeful in the extreme.
    She preaches..... she states the bleedin obvious, and her voice is as grating as a rough badgers arse!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭MakingMovies2

They'll go extinct like the bigoted old dinosaurs they are. Hopefully the shinnerbots on here will get the message too.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,179 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Leave it off francie. You know exactly what i meant. You're just getting annoyed because your beloved SF are getting a kicking. Try to respond maturely.

No I don't.

They are no more 'toxic' than Lab or the SD's or any other party than cannot sustain a majority.

20%...think about that for a moment. Just because FG and FF tell you they are 'toxic' doesn't mean they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,467 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

No I don't.

They are no more 'toxic' than Lab or the SD's or any other party than cannot sustain a majority.

20%...think about that for a moment. Just because FG and FF tell you they are 'toxic' doesn't mean they are.

You're deluding yourself francie but sure fire away.

You're deluding yourself francie but sure fire away.

I don't think i am.

I just showed you how any party in this state can be portrayed as 'toxic' to the majority.

I have no doubt SF are toxic to some, as FG or FF or Lab are toxic to some. I am not seeing anything, data or otherwise that says SF are 'toxic to a majority'.

You just bought some spin.

• Advertisement

I don't think i am.

I just showed you how any party in this state can be portrayed as 'toxic' to the majority.

I have no doubt SF are toxic to some, as FG or FF or Lab are toxic to some. I am not seeing anything, data or otherwise that says SF are 'toxic to a majority'.

You just bought some spin.

he two biggest parties want nothing to do with SF. why is that? Because they know some of their supporters would desert them if they did. You cant say that about labour or the independents. that is why SF are toxic.

he two biggest parties want nothing to do with SF. why is that?

Why is it that the two biggest parties have more or less coalesced in a pretend game of 'government and opposition', is a better question IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Why is it that the two biggest parties have more or less coalesced in a pretend game of 'government and opposition', is a better question IMO

Cos they are afraid, they don't want the likes of sf getting in the way. They are afraid of sf imo .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Billcarson wrote: »
    Cos they are afraid, they don't want the likes of sf getting in the way. They are afraid of sf imo .

any one with a lick of sense is afraid of sf , they have bunkers full of AKs and are fond of shooting unarmed people in the back and blowing the legs off kids ,

who wouldn't be afraid of them ???

It isn't so much about SF as it is about what is genuinely 'toxic' about Irish politics.
    IMO this clinging to the power swap by two parties is the toxic thing in Irish politics.

We need to learn how to do coalition properly.

A situation where a party like Labour can get their highest ever vote in one GE and then 5 years later get their worst is IMO wrong. The big two seem to think that coalition is about subordination and destruction of the junior party.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Hopefully they wI'll go away after this election!

I'm FF as there are two candidates in my area working their bums off 24/7 for us and not just 'at election time.' They are actually making a difference and for me under personal circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,555 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

It isn't so much about SF as it is about what is genuinely 'toxic' about Irish politics.
    IMO this clinging to the power swap by two parties is the toxic thing in Irish politics.

We need to learn how to do coalition properly.

A situation where a party like Labour can get their highest ever vote in one GE and then 5 years later get their worst is IMO wrong. The big two seem to think that coalition is about subordination and destruction of the junior party.

The electorate vote for these parties, that’s democracy .

The reason Labour got their highest vote ever and were tanked in the next is very clear............ they had to I M P L E M E N T.... remember that word.

They had to implement the bad stuff, given they had most of the social ministries.When things were verrrry bad.

They hadn’t the luxury of roaring and shouting from the sidelines and promising the divil an all without a hope of having to I M P L E M E N T
    anything.

Jaysus.... there’s that word again.... I M P L E M E N T.....

Very important word.... doesn’t make a lad too popular, especially when things are bad.

Some folk can’t understand that concept,it seems, magic money tree supporters, afraid to put their heads over the parapet, except up in windswept hills with the brimmer well tied down.

The electorate vote for these parties, that’s democracy .

The reason Labour got their highest vote ever and were tanked in the next is very clear............ they had to I M P L E M E N T.... remember that word.

They had to implement the bad stuff, given they had most of the social ministries.When things were verrrry bad.

They hadn’t the luxury of roaring and shouting from the sidelines and promising the divil an all without a hope of having to I M P L E M E N T
    anything.

Jaysus.... there’s that word again.... I M P L E M E N T.....

Very important word.... doesn’t make a lad too popular, especially when things are bad.

Some folk can’t understand that concept,it seems, magic money tree supporters, afraid to put their heads over the parapet, except up in windswept hills with the brimmer well tied down.

How much of what they wanted to do was 'implemented' Brendan?

Coalition = The term "coalition" is the denotation for a group formed when two or more people, factions, states, political parties, militaries etc. agree to work together temporarily in a partnership to achieve a common goal. The word coalition connotes a coming together to achieve a goal.

How much of what they wanted to do was 'implemented' Brendan?

Coalition = The term "coalition" is the denotation for a group formed when two or more people, factions, states, political parties, militaries etc. agree to work together temporarily in a partnership to achieve a common goal. The word coalition connotes a coming together to achieve a goal.

https://www.thejournal.ie/ruth-coppinger-joan-burton-1974451-Mar2015/

Not so much of what was implemented more of reaction to what had to happen given the situation at the time

https://www.thejournal.ie/ruth-coppinger-joan-burton-1974451-Mar2015/

Not so much of what was implemented more of reaction to what had to happen given the situation at the time

Yeh, maybe that particular government was a bad example. But the smaller coalition partner always ends up destroyed, integrity wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,519 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Yeh, maybe that particular government was a bad example. But the smaller coalition partner always ends up destroyed, integrity wise.

Not always the case. The PDs managed to implement much of its policies as a junior coalition partner.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Not always the case. The PDs managed to implement much of its policies as a junior coalition partner.
    They were a lot closer to the general FF ideology anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

SafeSurfer wrote: »

So did the Greens. In fact in policy terms the Greens were very successful.

Arguably they got so much out of that term in government (in terms of policy achievements) that it was worth the political consequences.

I think it's a bit different with the PDs who merely provided political cover for FF to do what they wanted to do in order to help their boss class masters and owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

is_that_so wrote: »
    They were a lot closer to the general FF ideology anyway.

How on earth do you make that out? :confused: Would have been much closer to FG

• Registered Users Posts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I think it's more they're afraid of their voters and members. The amount of transfers from FF and in particular FG to SF is going to be low, they would likely suffer majorly if they went in with SF with the other party standing to gain.

If they recognised that their membership were more in favour of going with SF then they'd be all over them. It'll happen, but not this time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

How on earth do you make that out? :confused: Would have been much closer to FG
    FF at that time had little ideology save getting re-elected and they didn't have any issues with what the PDs wanted so they worked well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I am surprised this thread isn't hopping after that Ipsos poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I am surprised this thread isn't hopping after that Ipsos poll.

I often wonder if the posters here whose online activities entirely orbit around the sun of slating SF realise they might actually have the opposite of their desired effect.

They're enough to make you want to vote for the shinners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Mary Lou for Taoiseach,
    Dessie Ellis for defence,
    Martin Ferris as Tanaiste
    Angus O Snodaigh for education

Lovely.

Mary Lou for Taoiseach,

Lovely.

Slab Murphy as minister for cross border trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

About to pounce into coalition with FF

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Slab Murphy as minister for cross border trade.

He's not running for election, but he could be one of their Seanad nominees and get a Ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mary Lou for Taoiseach,

Lovely.

Ferris isn't running though :confused:

Bambi wrote: »
    Ferris isn't running though :confused:

Running what?

• Advertisement