Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stalking styles

• 13-01-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭

Jut wondering what style of stalking people are having the most success with.
    Walk and stalk?
    sit and wait?
    sit high and wait?

morning or evening?

It's Fallow and Sika I'm looking to connect with. Was out at the weekend and sa plenty tracks but zero deer.
    Bryan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

Hi I stalk sika mainly early morning walking covering large areas works better for me lately . In the evenings getting out early scouting works trying one or two spots before I settle in for the last hour in a quiet area works very well for me I have taking sika at 3pm in a few areas to my surprise calfs like to be out but the older hinds last min or later hope this helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

There are a lot of variable to any answers that may be given here.
    IMO deer do some of what they are expected to do and a lot of what they shouldn't do.

For woodland stalking:
    The day state during the season, I belive has a strong influence of when you see deer. During the early months the nights are short and days long and it is easier to find deer moving to and from feeding areas. This will be the tradtional first light / last light scenario. So for this situation high seats, ground blinds and good vantage points will work in areas that deer transition. Always be mindfull of fieldcraft. After feeding deer will return to bedding areas and lay up, if there is young timber (Christmas Trees) these can be a haven for deer. Look for sheltered spots in bigger timber, natural bowls, banks, old stone walls and ditchs. The lee side of the wind on large terrian features and boulder fields are also good. Within hours they will move again to feed. Checking clear fells, glades and rides will be advantageous, so a foot stalk will work. Don't dismiss using vechiles to cover larger areas. Be savvy on your approach to possible areas, leaving cars parked up before your spot. Even if you see deer from your vehicle be shrewd as often deer don't fret with cars, just don't stick your head out the window. Slowly drive off and disembark, then start your approach.
    As the nights get longer, I believe, eventually we as hunters miss that opportunity of first and last light as the deer have all night to feed (approx 15 hrs of darkness) and move back and forwards in darkness out of sight of the hunter.
    Woodland Sika are very skittish any given day and (IMO) don't like windy days, and become even more spookish. But having said that the noise can help muffle your approach and it is easier to get in on them in thighter timber were they may be sheltering. Rain, well thats a hard one, I've shot them dry and wet, but all though they are not snowflakes I find woodland deer will disappear into the thickest under growth when the rain is out. If it has been raining or a cold night look for sunny spots were the deer will venture out to dry off or warm up. Sunny facing slopes or open glades.
    A lot of what we see on the internet especially UK stalking is on managed grounds, the woods are near manicured, with shooting lanes, feeding stations etc, etc. Unlike here were Coilte are more devastating to the woods then the worst hurricanes, leaving the forest floor strewn with off cuts, branches, tree tops etc etc., making covert stalking a challenge.

For open field, lowland hunting, try stalking (field craft, field craft, field craft) but static blinds and high seats are very productive. Be aware of changing condtions, yearly growth of plantations etc. Fallow like to come onto stubble fields and lick the spilled grain but you may not see them any other times. Edges of woodland, corps of trees, scrub land, bog, rushes (shot a fare share of sika in rush fields), overgrown river banks can be good spots.

Hill Shooting.
    What can I say, if they are there, they are there in all kinds of conditions. Yes the herd may head over the hills or mountains to find shelter or sunnier condtions but you'll usually find something laying up or coming in. Pre Rut /Rut/Post Rut will present different groups within herds or smaller groups (hind family groups, male groups, stags holding ground /hinds, etc).
    Moving over larger areas and longer distances requires stealth, planning and patience. A long stalk can be easily blown by an unseen matriarch laying up in scrub thats between you and your prize. Even a one animal can take the herd off the hill when spooked. Glass every were from every angle. You'll often glass a hillside and see nought, then move a few hundred yards up and to your left or right and realise the hill is alive with deer all laying up under peat banks, heather and gorse. Little inquisitive heads popping up to spy you.
    Out on the open hill use natural terrian features and dead ground to hide your approach. Remember the deer will more than likely be above you and command a better view. If they are below you or off to one side watch your skylines.

These are just my own opinons and observations for what I do. They will most likely be contrary to others opinions and practices but every situation, location etc has different factors and can change the game plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

I put out trail cameras before and during the season. Then you'll know if, when, and where the deer are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

thanks for the responses,great info, I was thinking at the weekend thats they'd of had great grazing under the full moon and little need to feed during the short day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BryanL

Such a great line

"IMO deer do some of what they are expected to do and a lot of what they shouldn't do."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭.243

when it all boils down,you can do all the research,studying,info gathering,weather watching etc,but by the end of it its down to luck,but youll have 100% more luck by having your boots on the ground and not propped up at the bar or on the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 39 11117

As said above, the most important thing is actually getting out and about on your ground.

The wind is the biggest factor in my opinion near forestry. The deer are hyper wary as everything is moving and they tend not to stray far from the woods. Often just grazing at the edges and retreating at the slightest sign of danger as they are always on high alert.

The rain doesn’t bother them at all. It only affects the desire of the hunter to actually head out in it. I’ve seen more deer out in the rain than I have at any other times.

Also there is a myth that deer are only moving or to be seen at first and last light. This is ridiculous. Any time during the day the deer will be out. They are browsers and don’t sleep all day and only become active at dark

Advertisement