Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020 Cork South Central. See mode note in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Whats the story with Bishopstown, is it Cork North Central or Cork South Central?

Theres posters of Mick Barry, Micheal Martin, Michael McGrath, Jerry Buttimer and John Maher outside the CUH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

mikeym wrote: »
    Whats the story with Bishopstown, is it Cork North Central or Cork South Central?

Theres posters of Mick Barry, Micheal Martin, Michael McGrath, Jerry Buttimer and John Maher outside the CUH.

I reckon it must be on the border as there's posters for candidates in both constituencies all down the Curraheen road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

It would seem SF are in serious trouble here with Greens to take the seat, the 3 big aces to be re-elected no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SaltyJohn

Is there any site with a good list of candidates for Cork South Central? I haven't been able to find a central list of candidates anywhere, just a few articles about the constituency.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

SaltyJohn wrote: »
    Is there any site with a good list of candidates for Cork South Central? I haven't been able to find a central list of candidates anywhere, just a few articles about the constituency.

Nominations close on the 22nd so until after that you won't see a full or confirmed list of candidates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I cant see anything other than McGrath,martin, Coventry and o laoghaire, those candidates have their areas wrapped up
    GoneHome wrote: »
    It would seem SF are in serious trouble here with Greens to take the seat, the 3 big aces to be re-elected no bother

Only thing keeping this constituency interesting is the last seat obviously. Buttimer is doing a lot of work to win it back.
    SFs support is very localised in particular areas and he doesn't really have widespread appeal in the constituency outside those. He doesn't even try in large areas of the constituency as he knows it would bea waste of time and resources.
    Greens have held a seat here previously for a while (when a 5 seater) so they do have support here. Could be close between those three.

At a guess though I think SF will sneak it.

SaltyJohn wrote: »

According to Adrian Kavanagh's (who tracks all the constituencies in the country) site the current list of candidates is:
    • Deputy Simon Coveney (Fine Gael),
    • Senator Jerry Buttimer (Fine Gael),
    • Deputy Micheál Martin (Fianna Fáil),
    • Deputy Michael McGrath (Fianna Fail),
    • Deputy Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire (Sinn Fein),
    • Ciara Kennedy (Labour Party),
    • Bobby Murray Walsh (People Before Profit),
    • Patricia O’Dwyer (Social Democrats),
    • Cllr. Lorna Bogue (Green Party),
    • Anna Daly (Aontú).

The Irish Times has Bogue winning the final site in their analysis of the constituency.

If Fine Gael really do end up around 20% then that'll probably take Buttimer out of the running and it'll be between herself and O' Laoghaire.

I'll be very unhappy if people vote for the Green Party.

That nice Diesel car you drive to work forget about driving it in the future because the Greens will hike up the taxes on running your car.

They are anti M20 https://www.newstalk.com/news/breakfast-eamon-ryan-interview-951957

They are anti M28 https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/03/greens-call-for-a-shift-from-a-car-first-approach-in-the-how-the-ndp-affects-the-region/

I was taking a neutral stance on this thread but I am anti green party and people should be familiar with their policies before they vote.

That nice Diesel car you drive to work forget about driving it in the future because the Greens will hike up the taxes on running your car.

They are anti M20 https://www.newstalk.com/news/breakfast-eamon-ryan-interview-951957

They are anti M28 https://www.thecork.ie/2019/07/03/greens-call-for-a-shift-from-a-car-first-approach-in-the-how-the-ndp-affects-the-region/

I was taking a neutral stance on this thread but I am anti green party and people should be familiar with their policies before they vote.

Most people are generally centrists which usually ends up meaning that they will agree and disagree with the policies of all parties. Pretty rare I would imagine that you would agree with all the policies of any party so you pick the one which closest matches your outlook.

At least we know where they stand on those issues. FG and FF try to play both sides.

• Advertisement

If the Greens get in it'll be as part of a coalition, most likely with FF. As part of coalition negotiations they'll put forward some policy proposals and also get a number of ministries (probably 2).

They could potentially suggest stopping motorway construction as a proposal but there's zero chance that FF would agree that that and The Greens are not going to die on a hill for that particular policy.

Unless the Greens win an overall or significant majority you don't need to worry too much. At most they'll get 12 seats (at best).

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

But greens are very pro public transport, which if it gets better, it will make it easier for the people who do want to drive as there will be less cars on the road. I for one would do without my nice diesel car if there are viable alternatives. I've lived in a few countries around the world and i've never owned a car in any of them and I loved it. I'd love if I could live without one here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,925 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

nominated candidates being added here https://corkcityreturningofficer.com/index.php/8-general-information/34-nominated-candidates-2020-cork-south-central

who is this guy Sean O'leary who has nominated himself in about 7 different constituencies in Dublin and Cork so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

Might go with Green, SD, Sinn Fein (for the first time) and maybe PPP in that order. I'd have reservations about all of them but I think everyone should vote and I have and never will vote FFFG. And I'll never vote labour again.
    I've moved to Cork West but didn't have enough time to change it.

timmyjimmy wrote: »
    But greens are very pro public transport, which if it gets better, it will make it easier for the people who do want to drive as there will be less cars on the road. I for one would do without my nice diesel car if there are viable alternatives. I've lived in a few countries around the world and i've never owned a car in any of them and I loved it. I'd love if I could live without one here.

Its grand if you live near a Luas stop up in Dublin but if you live in the country your snookered for public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Acosta wrote: »
    And I'll never vote labour again.

What did Labour do that they shouldnt have that they had any real power to do so? I feel they get a far too high proportion of the blame for going in with FG in 2011, an awful lot of the decisions made were going to have to happen regardless of who was there...

Its grand if you live near a Luas stop up in Dublin but if you live in the country your snookered for public transport.

I think the idea is to vote for the Greens as they aim to improve it so eventually you wont have to live next to the Luas/DART. Not saying they will mind...they just want to prioritise public transport over new roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Acosta

dulpit wrote: »
    What did Labour do that they shouldnt have that they had any real power to do so? I feel they get a far too high proportion of the blame for going in with FG in 2011, an awful lot of the decisions made were going to have to happen regardless of who was there...

FG were the senior government party and are primarily responsible for the decision making process, but I've never been a FG voter. I was a Labour voter and didn't vote for them to go into power with FG. I know they have a history of going into coalition and I should have known better but after all the strong speeches and promises in the run up to that election from Gilmore I foolishly expected a lot more from them. Labour are a completely different party when they're not in power to when they are. Once they got their ministerial positions there wasn't a peep from any of them. A few of my friends ended getting forced onto that jobsbridge scheme and after hearing some of the stories it was the only time I've been disgusted with myself for how I voted. The Irish Water saga was a farce too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

mean gene wrote: »
    is there anything of note o laoghaire did because i cant find anything if all hes done is boxing and a run

He's the only candidate that has pushed for infrastructure in Cork City.

timmyjimmy wrote: »

All the Greens do is stop investment in Cork. Our Cork SC greens rep has publicly stated that she wants to route the proposed M20 investment away from Cork and out to Waterford and wants to block the M28. Has she ever proposed any transport for Cork?

• Advertisement

snotboogie wrote: »

All the Greens do is stop investment in Cork.
    Our Cork SC greens rep has publicly stated that she wants to route the proposed M20 investment away from Cork and out to Waterford and wants to block the M28. Has she ever proposed any transport for Cork?

What are examples of the Greens stopping investment in Cork? FG have made zero investment in Cork and they've been in government!! So I'm curious what the Greens have stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭timmyjimmy

All the Greens do is stop investment in Cork. Our Cork SC greens rep has publicly stated that she wants to route the proposed M20 investment away from Cork and out to Waterford and wants to block the M28. Has she ever proposed any transport for Cork?

They want to channel investment to public transport and cycling. They were very pro Wilton rd bus and cycling lanes but other politicians got behind the nimbys. More roads leads to more cars which leads to more traffic, look at the south link last night, it was chockers. Yes, we do need some road upgrades but more roads outside the city do nothing for the city only clog it more. Better public transport is needed in the city, not more cars. I think everybody living in the city would welcome less cars and have a friendly city to walk and cycle around.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    What are examples of the Greens stopping investment in Cork? FG have made zero investment in Cork and they've been in government!! So I'm curious what the Greens have stopped.

Off the top of my head, the M20 and the M28 are the two big public projects they have opposed. They have also opposed the private regeneration of the bonded warehouses and construction of the Port of Cork Tower and an apartment scheme in Glanmire.

I don't mind them opposing the M20 if they were pushing for alternative public transport in Cork but they are not. They want to reroute the motorway to Waterford.

Off the top of my head, the M20 and the M28 are the two big public projects they have opposed. They have also opposed the private regeneration of the bonded warehouses and construction of the Port of Cork Tower and an apartment scheme in Glanmire.

I don't mind them opposing the M20 if they were pushing for alternative public transport in Cork but they are not. They want to reroute the motorway to Waterford.

But they haven't stopped any of these things, that was the accusation. FG have done feck all to progress these and they were in power for 9 years! They just procrastinated. And the Greens have been very vocal in their support for improved public transport in Cork.

They also didn't oppose the regeneration of the bonded warehouse. They called out concerns about a public asset moving into private ownership. You may not agree but it's a reasonable question to ask. As regards Glanmire I think they said that a development like that (13 storeys) should be more a part of a renewed town centre for Glanmire, not randomly thrown up amongst a load of houses. Again a valid point of view. Fianna Fail objected to the Glanmire development full stop and they'll likely form the next government!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    But they haven't stopped any of these things, that was the accusation. FG have done feck all to progress these and they were in power for 9 years! They just procrastinated. And the Greens have been very vocal in their support for improved public transport in Cork.

They also didn't oppose the regeneration of the bonded warehouse. They called out concerns about a public asset moving into private ownership. You may not agree but it's a reasonable question to ask. As regards Glanmire I think they said that a development like that (13 storeys) should be more a part of a renewed town centre for Glanmire, not randomly thrown up amongst a load of houses. Again a valid point of view. Fianna Fail objected to the Glanmire development full stop and they'll likely form the next government!

They were part of the fundraising for the group that has and continues to delay the M28: https://www.facebook.com/175111606272101/photos/a.295130104270250/554539694995955/?type=3&theater

They are trying to stop the M20 by rerouting the road to Waterford.

They supported blocking the POC development: Green Party calls for scrapping of €100-million plan for Port of Cork site

On Glanmire they said high density apartments were more suited for the docklands only then to complain about the demolition of a pub to build high density apartments on the docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Donnacha will need a good number 1s because he wont be picking up too many transfers but he is known on the ground unlike a few jumping on the Green bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Edgware wrote: »
    Donnacha will need a good number 1s because he wont be picking up too many transfers but he is known on the ground unlike a few jumping on the Green bandwagon

He can relate to the community a lot I think, he is very well liked and respected. He has gone above and beyond for my own family despite none of us historically being SF voters, when our calls to FF went ignored.
    He has a good reputation locally and all that is going to stand to him.

I'm not sure how I feel about SF ruling our government but I do think O'Laoighre is the best representative for our constituency and I hope he retains his seat.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    He can relate to the community a lot I think, he is very well liked and respected. He has gone above and beyond for my own family despite none of us historically being SF voters, when our calls to FF went ignored.
    He has a good reputation locally and all that is going to stand to him.

I'm not sure how I feel about SF ruling our government but I do think O'Laoighre is the best representative for our constituency and I hope he retains his seat.

That most definitely depends on what community you are in. He may relate to some area but doesn't even poster a lot of other parts of the constituency.

In previous election he put up one poster in whole area I am in. It happened to be on a pole at the entrance to only estate which has a few council houses. No where else. Funny that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Billythekid19

Ludo wrote: »
    That most definitely depends on what community you are in. He may relate to some area but doesn't even poster a lot of other parts of the constituency.

In previous election he put up one poster in whole area I am in. It happened to be on a pole at the entrance to only estate which has a few council houses. No where else. Funny that.

Theres not much point putting SF posters on the rochestown road or up in Maryborough. This is the demographic that sinn fein is trying to tax to the hilt and the demographic that wont benefit from sinn feins proposed 100,000 free council houses!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Ludo wrote: »

I drove through Ballinlough, Ballintemple and Blackrock this morning, areas you wouldn't typically associate with social housing, and saw plenty of his posters. I saw as many of his as I did for FF/FG.
    So I don't think its a big conspiracy at all.

Advertisement