Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020 Cork South Central. See mode note in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭omicron

Kazbah wrote: »
    First time ever I won't vote for any FF/FG candidates.
    I'll go 1-Green 2-Soc Dem 3-Labour and that's it
    No one else on that long ballot I'd like to see get a seat.

They'll get a seat whether you vote for them or not so you might as well continue the preferences with whatever you think are the least worst options.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

omicron wrote: »
    They'll get a seat whether you vote for them or not so you might as well continue the preferences with whatever you think are the least worst options.

They are all just a big no... Sorry forgot going to give William o Brian #4

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Ludo wrote: »
    Yes the smoking ban was a good thing. However, I believe he also came up with the bright idea to ban the sale of ten packs cigarettes. Now that wasn't very clever at all. I and a few I used to work with back then used to always buy a ten pack on the way to work. Guess what happened...yep we all doubled the amount we smoked within a week as we had to buy 20 instead.

How stupid are you?
    There’s no helping some people.
    I also love that you said that the law change wasn’t very clever. Comedy gold!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I might be in the minority but I quite like having representatives in our national parliament who are more interested in national issues. It's no coincidence that Lowry and the Healy-Raes have some of the worst records when it comes to committee attendance and Dail speaking time. They're basically glorified county councillors who spend their time attending funerals and looking for planning permissions and medical cards for people.

Coveney has been heavily involved in brexit and northern Ireland, or its probably fairer to say that he has attached himself to both while having no actual
    Impact on either of them.

It’s the local area that elects politicians, they expect to see a return on those votes and good politicians will balance both local and national issues

Ie completely wasting his time being involved with either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Kazbah wrote: »
    First time ever I won't vote for any FF/FG candidates.
    I'll go 1-Green 2-Soc Dem 3-Labour and that's it
    No one else on that long ballot I'd like to see get a seat.

That is kinda my thinking at the moment also. May change though as still not 100% sure of the order.

• Advertisement

Coveney has been heavily involved in brexit and northern Ireland, or its probably fairer to say that he has attached himself to both while having no actual
    Impact on either of them.

It’s the local area that elects politicians, they expect to see a return on those votes and good politicians will balance both local and national issues

Ie completely wasting his time being involved with either of them.

Now that is simply not true. He has has a very large impact on both those. Particularly Brexit. Saying he "attached himself" to them them is a giveaway though that you are simply not willing to give any credit at all. He is minister for foreign affairs so it is kinda his job to be involved.

And just for balance...Martin also deserves credit for his handling of Brexit. Even SF do also. The unity of Irish parties around it deserves a lot of credit all round.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

No personal abuse please

Now that is simply not true. He has has a very large impact on both those. Particularly Brexit. Saying he "attached himself" to them them is a giveaway though that you are simply not willing to give any credit at all. He is minister for foreign affairs so it is kinda his job to be involved.

And just for balance...Martin also deserves credit for his handling of Brexit. Even SF do also. The unity of Irish parties around it deserves a lot of credit all round.

Brexit has happened, However the results of it are yet to be decided and will be decided by the negotiations that happen over the rest of the year. For an Irish politician to try and live off the glory of Brexit is nonsense as they couldn’t have influenced what has yet to happen.

Brexit has happened, However the results of it are yet to be decided and will be decided by the negotiations that happen over the rest of the year. For an Irish politician to try and live off the glory of Brexit is nonsense as they couldn’t have influenced what has yet to happen.

Eh obviously I was referring to the previous years leading up to brexit which you were also. You appear to be moving the goalposts now though.
    Do you honestly think he attached himself to brexit and had no affect on it at all? Wasted his time as you put it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

" Running the County " I had no idea those he referred to were County Councillors as well as TD's

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Eh obviously I was referring to the previous years leading up to brexit which you were also. You appear to be moving the goalposts now though.
    Do you honestly think he attached himself to brexit and had no affect on it at all? Wasted his time as you put it?

I think what he did around Brexit doesn’t count for a sausage to the people that will be voting. Health, homelessness, pensions, infrastructure are relevant. I think he expects to be tought of as a hero because of whatever he was supposed to have done around brexit.

If he was so important to the process of brexit that has got us to this stage then change my mind and tell me what he has actually done?

I think what he did around Brexit doesn’t count for a sausage to the people that will be voting. Health, homelessness, pensions, infrastructure are relevant. I think he expects to be tought of as a hero because of whatever he was supposed to have done around brexit.

Won't disagree with any of that.
    If he was so important to the process of brexit that has got us to this stage then change my mind and tell me what he has actually done?

Oh no...you claimed he had no impact and attached himself to it as if he had no business being involved. Not going to waste time trying to "change your mind". That is never going to happen. I'm not saying anyone should vote for him. There are plenty of reasons not to. But let's not make **** up either when there it no need to. It devalues any reasonable points you make.

Won't disagree with any of that.

Oh no...you claimed he had no impact and attached himself to it as if he had no business being involved. Not going to waste time trying to "change your mind". That is never going to happen. I'm not saying anyone should vote for him. There are plenty of reasons not to. But let's not make **** up either when there it no need to. It devalues any reasonable points you make.

My opinion is that the time he spent working on brexit has yielded nothing, and was never going to yield anything therefore it was time wasted. There were a lot of sound bites and media appearances about this that and the other but they are, and were all irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

My opinion is that the time he spent working on brexit has yielded nothing, and was never going to yield anything therefore it was time wasted. There were a lot of sound bites and media appearances about this that and the other but they are, and were all irrelevant.

What exactly did you expect it to "yield".

We have no new land border with the north. That's exactly what the aim from Ireland's perspective was, and it has been achieved.

pwurple wrote: »
    What exactly did you expect it to "yield".

We have no new land border with the north. That's exactly what the aim from Ireland's perspective was, and it has been achieved.

It has been achieved for now but it may well change and that has very little to do with Coveney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Is Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire still in trouble? Last night I saw SF supporters canvassing in parts of Ballintemple and Blackrock where I cannot recall them ever visiting in over two decades. I have a suspicion that "protest votes" in those areas would be more likely to go to the Greens than SF.

I was going to give second to the green candidate, but their soundings on the limerick motorway changed my mind. Mallow, Charleville, buttevant are towns that need development and a motorway will open them up as well as taking away one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Realalemadrid

I was going to give second to the green candidate, but their soundings on the limerick motorway changed my mind. Mallow, Charleville, buttevant are towns that need development and a motorway will open them up as well as taking away one of the most dangerous stretches of road in the country.

Green party policy is to build a motorway between Waterford and Limerick that intersects the M8 around Cahir / Mitchelstown. This would be a solution that would make all 3 cities a 1hr 20 min drive between each other.

Green party policy is to build a motorway between Waterford and Limerick that intersects the M8 around Cahir / Mitchelstown. This would be a solution that would make all 3 cities a 1hr 20 min drive between each other.

And it’s a terrible idea. Both roads need to be done.

And it’s a terrible idea. Both roads need to be done.

Why is it a terrible idea and why do both roads need to be done?

You would:
    • Take all through traffic out of Mallow / Buttevant etc
    • Cut journey times between each cites considerably
    • more bang for your buck in terms of billions spent

N20 could be upgraded in parts but if there was an alternative motorway then most of the road is fine as is.

• Advertisement

Why is it a terrible idea and why do both roads need to be done?

You would:
    • Take all through traffic out of Mallow / Buttevant etc
    • Cut journey times between each cites considerably
    • more bang for your buck in terms of billions spent

N20 could be upgraded in parts but if there was an alternative motorway then most of the road is fine as is.

It’s a terrible idea because it’s a far longer stretch of motorway so the costs are much Much higher and it means that you bring all of that traffic into an already completely over loaded dunkettle interchange.

There may be merit in it if there was a north ring road in Cork, but there is no sign of that happening.

Mallow Charleville and Buttevant are commuter towns that will flourish with a good road connection for Limerick and Cork, that volume of traffic will not travel over to Mitchelstown to head north or south.

It’s a busy stretch of road that has very high rates of fatalities.

The Cork to Waterford road needs work also.

It’s a terrible idea because it’s a far longer stretch of motorway so the costs are much Much higher and it means that you bring all of that traffic into an already completely over loaded dunkettle interchange.

There may be merit in it if there was a north ring road in Cork, but there is no sign of that happening.

Mallow Charleville and Buttevant are commuter towns that will flourish with a good road connection for Limerick and Cork, that volume of traffic will not travel over to Mitchelstown to head north or south.

It’s a busy stretch of road that has very high rates of fatalities.

The Cork to Waterford road needs work also.

Well considering the current N20 plan is still at drawing stage with no idea how much it will cost puts the cost issue into perspective. From an N20 standpoint a link to the M50 would be far cheaper and could link onto Waterford in the future. A bit of joined up thinking.

The Dunkettle upgrade ,long overdue, will surely be completed by the time a new motorway would be done.

Lots of traffic already uses Mitchelstown instead of the N20 - if you put a motorway between it and Limerick then the majority (not all) of the traffic would move with it in my opinion.

It is a very dangerous road but it is more down to the volume of traffic on it rather than the overall road standard which is fine in a lot of stretches.

Well considering the current N20 plan is still at drawing stage with no idea how much it will cost puts the cost issue into perspective. From an N20 standpoint a link to the M50 would be far cheaper and could link onto Waterford in the future. A bit of joined up thinking.

The Dunkettle upgrade ,long overdue, will surely be completed by the time a new motorway would be done.

Lots of traffic already uses Mitchelstown instead of the N20 - if you put a motorway between it and Limerick then the majority (not all) of the traffic would move with it in my opinion.

It is a very dangerous road but it is more down to the volume of traffic on it rather than the overall road standard which is fine in a lot of stretches.

Tell me where your calculating it would be cheaper?

A dangerous road is a dangerous road irrespective of the volume of traffic, a lot of the fatalities between cork and mallow happen at quiet times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Is Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire still in trouble? Last night I saw SF supporters canvassing in parts of Ballintemple and Blackrock where I cannot recall them ever visiting in over two decades. I have a suspicion that "protest votes" in those areas would be more likely to go to the Greens than SF.

The consensus appeared to be that he was battling with Bogue for the final seat. With the SF surge and the FG decline he should be safe and will possibly even be in with a chance of topping the poll since the FF vote is split

Tell me where your calculating it would be cheaper?

The connection would be a lot shorter a stretch of motorway.

A dangerous road is a dangerous road irrespective of the volume of traffic, a lot of the fatalities between cork and mallow happen at quiet times.

Nothing that couldn't be improved upon with improvements to the surface and lighting on various stretches. Building some stretches of Dual carriageway would also suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

The connection would be a lot shorter a stretch of motorway.

Nothing that couldn't be improved upon with improvements to the surface and lighting on various stretches. Building some stretches of Dual carriageway would also suffice.

I'd advise reading the below thread, this has been discussed ad nauseam and you're wrong

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055372963/493/#post112440588

snotboogie wrote: »
    I'd advise reading the below thread, this has been discussed ad nauseam and you're wrong

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055372963/493/#post112440588

Long thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Long thread!

I know :( Go back about 10 pages to when the Greens plans broke and the discussion starts up (again!) there

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Greens are a tax party and were partners in a coalition that brought this country to its knees. No way I'd give them any vote or FF

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Is that you Dan

Advertisement