Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE 2020 Cork South Central. See mode note in Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,052 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Also, I'd go with McGrath, Martin, Coveney and then a toss up between O'Laoghaire and Bogue for final seat, leaning towards SF...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

Anyone voted yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Genuine question, If people are going to go back in history as a basis for their beliefs then is it not unreasonable to only go as far back in history as suits? The opposite is also true course, hammering a party for their sins of decades ago and ignoring the recent form. Some see FG as the blueshirts and nothing else. People tend to decide according to the snapshot that suits them and it can be a narrow minded view that annoys me.

It is not really going back in history though with SF. A lot of the people involved in punishment beatings, etc, etc are still heavily involved in the party today. A lot of us will know people involved in the IRA as they are still around and associated with SF. That is not narrow minded as you characterise it.

Of course I also heavily disagree with their policies around tax etc and they don't seem to have any plan for how to pay for the things they want to do.

Anyone voted yet?

Yep...voted there around 8.30. Steady stream of people going in. Twas busy enough.

Ludo wrote: »
    Yep...voted there around 8.30. Steady stream of people going in. Twas busy enough.

Good to hear, heading down there myself around lunchtime, hopefully the turnout is strong across the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,586 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

It is not really going back in history though with SF. A lot of the people involved in punishment beatings, etc, etc are still heavily involved in the party today. A lot of us will know people involved in the IRA as they are still around and associated with SF. That is not narrow minded as you characterise it.

Of course I also heavily disagree with their policies around tax etc and they don't seem to have any plan for how to pay for the things they want to do.

Sure a lot of people in the SF party have colourful (to say the least) pasts, maybe it’s a mistake that time will prove but getting into government will be either the makings of them drawing a line under their past and bringing on a higher level of Standards to their membership Because being successful in governemnt will demand it, or it will finish them off.

The country needs a viable alternative to FFG, and maybe SF can become that, I dont have an Issue with them being given a chance, on a short leash.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Voted in Rochestown at 1pm. Very very busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Looking forward to the results of the First count.

I presume the smaller parties and Independents dont have a hope.

Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein and the Greens seem to be the talk of Cork South.

mikeym wrote: »
    Looking forward to the results of the First count.

I presume the smaller parties and Independents dont have a hope.

Fine Gael, Fianna Fail, Sinn Fein and the Greens seem to be the talk of Cork South.

Considering the exit poll you'd have to wonder are either of Martin/McGrath in trouble, can FF really bring 2 candidates home with 22% of the vote, there might be a sting in the tail here for someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

Considering the exit poll you'd have to wonder are either of Martin/McGrath in trouble, can FF really bring 2 candidates home with 22% of the vote, there might be a sting in the tail here for someone.
    You'd definitely have the Green Candidate in contention due to Transfers. Martin to lose out would be great as McGrath topped the poll last time.

• Advertisement

Not a hope. They will both be safe. This was the only constituency that elected 2 FF TDs when FF were wiped out around the country after the crash. If they both got in then, they certainly will now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

They'll get way more than 22% in Cork South Central. They'll both get in handily enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭theboringfox

They will make it home easily. They had similar exit poll in 2016 and both came through easily. If there was a sub poll of this region FF much much stronger. I see 2 FF, 1 FG and 1 SF as locked in. No contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

They will make it home easily. They had similar exit poll in 2016 and both came through easily. If there was a sub poll of this region FF much much stronger. I see 2 FF, 1 FG and 1 SF as locked in. No contest.

Agree. Thought before Coveney might be shaky and SF might face threat from Greens but based on exit poll they are both safe.

robinbird wrote: »
    Agree. Thought before Coveney might be shaky and SF might face threat from Greens but based on exit poll they are both safe.

Are the people who voted SF going to change to green? Or will the people who voted FG the last time go green?

Are the people who voted SF going to change to green? Or will the people who voted FG the last time go green?

I voted SF, hell will freeze over before I vote Green.

I voted SF, hell will freeze over before I vote Green.

I think hell freezing is the exact opposite of what they pedal.

I think hell freezing is the exact opposite of what they pedal.

My point exactly

RTE there saying Martin, McGrath, O'Laoghaire and then Coveney all safe in that order. No surprise.

RTE there saying Martin, McGrath, O'Laoghaire and then Coveney all safe in that order. No surprise.

On RTE1? My satellite signal cut out for a while

• Advertisement

Lol yeah mine went also for a while...The weather is foreboding of SF in government ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Early tallies has Donncha O’ Laoighre at 25%

leahyl wrote: »
    Early tallies has Donncha O’ Laoighre at 25%

Yep...changed now alright to SF top.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,286 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Yep...changed now alright to SF top.

Quite a difference between 1st and 2nd - 18% for MM? Mad stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

O'Laoighaire running away with it. Martin, Coveney and McGrath will be comfortably safe. Electorate overlooking Coveney and his Event Centre incompetence.

Where are these “10,000” people who are opposed to the M28 motorway? Buttimer is struggling and he’s affiliated to them

Where are these “10,000” people who are opposed to the M28 motorway? Buttimer is struggling and he’s affiliated to them

Yawn...boring topic at this stage. I live in Rochestown and i can honestly say I have not heard anyone talk about the M28 in well over a year. No one cares. And certainly not enough to let it be the only deciding factor on who to vote for. It is a non-issue. Obviously not to you, being a trucker, and thats fair enough but no one else cares.

Yawn...boring topic at this stage. I live in Rochestown and i can honestly say I have not heard anyone talk about the M28 in well over a year. No one cares. And certainly not enough to let it be the only deciding factor on who to vote for. It is a non-issue. Obviously not to you, being a trucker, and thats fair enough but no one else cares.

I agree with all you say, this proves the point. It’s not a major issue in your area or surrounding areas bar a handful of people. Buttimer not getting elected shows it.

CORCAIGH THEAS LÁR / CORK SOUTH CENTRAL

Teailí 100%

Donnchadh Ó Laoghaire SF 24.7%
    MIcheál Martin 19.2%
    Simon Coveney FG 16.2%
    Michael McGrath FF 16.1%
    Lorna Bogue CG 9.4%
    Jerry Buttimer 4.9%

• Advertisement

Donnacha topping the poll would be a surprise, as would mcgrath coming in 4th, but transfers will change that.

Advertisement