Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Hire (etc) Gran Canaria

Options
  • 13-01-2020 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭

I did Lanzarote over Christmas and thanks to the good burghers of this fair forum I got a great rental deal from Flistons.

As it happens, there's a gang of us going to Gran Canaria in Easter or a quick out and back training camp so I'd love to hear some recommendations for bike hire based on your own experiences.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Well, the obvious one for any of the Canary Islands is Freemotion...

However, this new place has just opened, with all brand new Merida bikes and a van/minibus to bring clients to other points on the Island and cycle back etc. Well worth checking them out, the owner is a very experienced guide and great to deal with:

https://www.lifeon2wheels.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Tenzor07 wrote: »

However, this new place has just opened, with all brand new Merida bikes and a van/minibus to bring clients to other points on the Island and cycle back etc. Well worth checking them out, the owner is a very experienced guide and great to deal with:

Freemotion are cool alright, but they're expensive. We got Carbon/ultegra Bianchi Sempre Pro's from Flistons for 160 quid for 10 days. Freemotion were 240 for aluminium Cannondales. They actually had supersix dura aces there as well, but at a frankly silly price of nearly 400 quid. Crazy when we rented a car worth 16 grand for less than 150. Anyway, that's an argument for another day. :o

I think I might have heard of lifeon2wheels, I'll check them out. Don't need guides, just bikes. - Have you used them yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

I was there in March last year with a few friends.

I would really recommend Rent Bike Meloneras, I've rented bikes all over the place and these are without a shadow of a doubt THE best.

http://www.rentbikeplayameloneras.com/

Owned by an Italian family Leonardo Pinizzotto and his Father an ex-pro cyclist,brilliant to deal with,superb attention to detail.
    Fantastic selection of bikes,good value for money and a proper bike fit.

They also let me collect all the bikes in the afternoon before the rental date (for an early start the next day) without charging.
    Something NONE of the other bike rental companies were prepared to do.

fat bloke wrote: »
    I think I might have heard of lifeon2wheels, I'll check them out. Don't need guides, just bikes. - Have you used them yourself?

Definitely worth checking out, they have a great setup and backup support, i've done tours when previously in GC with the owner, so highly recommended... One of the mechanics was a member of the Waterford road cycling club I believe..

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭royrogers

+ 1 for these guys, well recommended !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

One of the mechanics guides was a member of the Waterford road cycling club I believe..

A man of a the Rás and an ex team-mate of a few guys on here. And a qualified MD to boot.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    A man of a the Rás and an ex team-mate of a few guys on here. And a qualified MD to boot.....

Yep. Still a teammate actually. Con knows where the good roads are over there for sure. Worth checking out in fairness as an alternative to Freemotion. I hear the Merida Scultura's are very nice indeed.... and its handy to be able to have a van to call to come collect you if you need them to. We usually seem to have at least one mishap any time a large group goes over, mechanical, crash, mega-bonk, wrong turn etc... ! Not to mention there's parts of the Island you might want to see but don't fancy doing 10,000 ft of climbing to get there and back so the option of getting dropped and riding home is handy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Yep. Still a teammate actually. Con knows where the good roads are over there for sure. Worth checking out in fairness as an alternative to Freemotion. I hear the Merida Scultura's are very nice indeed.... and its handy to be able to have a van to call to come collect you if you need them to. We usually seem to have at least one mishap any time a large group goes over, mechanical, crash, Mega-bonk, wrong turn etc... ! Not to mention there's parts of the Island you might want to see but don't fancy doing 10,000 ft of climbing to get there and back so the option of getting dropped and riding home is handy too.

What's this mega bonking you talk of.......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Just booked flights for 6th to 15th Feb as it happens! Sorry to hijack but anyone care to suggest bet areas to stay? Plan to hire a car anyway. Stayed in Arinaga previously but seemed to head south most days. Thinking basing myself in that diection this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

there's another place doing bike rental in Maspalomas. It's in the shopping centre at the bottom of Sonnenland hill (where the pharmacy is). I can't think of the name of the place but I know they do Specialized, if you had a hankering for that brand.

Freemotion are a very professional outfit, but that's kind of the problem with them. Rent a bike, sign up for one of their spins, prepare to sign a 19-page contract, and part with a lot of money. I rented there twice back in the day, but wouldn't dream of it now.

To the person asking the best place to stay - I'd suggest the southeast of the island. Probably maspalomas if you want somewhere quiet, meloneras if you have $$$, or play del ingles if you want somewhere a bit busier. The road around the south of the island is still blocked after arguineguin, so the routes via Mogan are still inaccessible (unless you drive, cycle on the motorway, or take the ferry from arguinegin to mogan with your bike). The southeast of the island gives you access to more of the popular routes. And it gives you a good excuse to avoid the VOTT - hellish climb that it is.

• Advertisement

1bryan wrote: »
    there's another place doing bike rental in Maspalomas. It's in the shopping centre at the bottom of Sonnenland hill (where the pharmacy is). I can't think of the name of the place but I know they do Specialized, if you had a hankering for that brand.

Freemotion are a very professional outfit, but that's kind of the problem with them. Rent a bike, sign up for one of their spins, prepare to sign a 19-page contract, and part with a lot of money. I rented there twice back in the day, but wouldn't dream of it now.

To the person asking the best place to stay - I'd suggest the southeast of the island. Probably maspalomas if you want somewhere quiet, meloneras if you have $$$, or play del ingles if you want somewhere a bit busier. The road around the south of the island is still blocked after arguineguin, so the routes via Mogan are still inaccessible (unless you drive, cycle on the motorway, or take the ferry from arguinegin to mogan with your bike). The southeast of the island gives you access to more of the popular routes. And it gives you a good excuse to avoid the VOTT - hellish climb that it is.

Woah. Explain that to me and its repercussions ?!

We're looking at Maspalomas (in or around at any rate) for accomodation. Plan is to do that valley of tears, once anyway! But if you don't mind expanding on that road closure and its route implications I'd appreciate it.

We're looking at Maspalomas (in or around at any rate) for accomodation. Plan is to do that valley of tears, once anyway! But if you don't mind expanding on that road closure and its route implications I'd appreciate it.

sure. From maspalomas you'll still have access to the routes to fataga and san bartalome, and up to Ayacata. You'll also have access to the climb to Soria, via the valley road before Arguineguin.

To access the VOTT or the climb from Mogan to Ayacata (the nicest climb on the island imo), you would normally follow the GC500 around the south of the island to Puerto de Mogan, and head inland to the village of Mogan, continuing on to, either, St.Nicholas (for the VOTT), or the turn for Ayacata (for the other climb).

Due to the road closure, you can no longer cycle all the way to Mogan. For a while it was possible to climb over the fallen rocks, and the wall they built, but they were hellbent on stopping people, so it's now not even possible to do that.

There are options. See this link

https://www.lifeon2wheels.eu/post/mogan-an-update

There is also a ferry that runs from Arguineguin to Puerto De Mogan. You can bring your bike on that. Not ideal, but maybe better than nothing. And I've heard reports of people cycling on the motorway (definitely not recommended).

I haven't cycled there since the blockage became totally impassible. Others might be able to share what option they took to get to Mogan.

Bambaata wrote: »
    Just booked flights for 6th to 15th Feb as it happens! Sorry to hijack but anyone care to suggest bet areas to stay? Plan to hire a car anyway. Stayed in Arinaga previously but seemed to head south most days. Thinking basing myself in that diection this time.

Most people stay around Maspalomas, usally best prices on accomodation and it has all the bike hire places close by.
    Playa is more old school beach/pool tourist area.

Sonneland is nice, but mainly residential.

Meloneras is a bit more upmarket towards the harbour.

You won't need a car if you take any of the Lifeon2wheels tours or with Freemotion.
    Bus from the airport is around €3 to Maspalomas.

sure. From maspalomas you'll still have access to the routes to fataga and san bartalome, and up to Ayacata. You'll also have access to the climb to Soria, via the valley road before Arguineguin.

To access the VOTT or the climb from Mogan to Ayacata (the nicest climb on the island imo), you would normally follow the GC500 around the south of the island to Puerto de Mogan, and head inland to the village of Mogan, continuing on to, either, St.Nicholas (for the VOTT), or the turn for Ayacata (for the other climb).

Due to the road closure, you can no longer cycle all the way to Mogan. For a while it was possible to climb over the fallen rocks, and the wall they built, but they were hellbent on stopping people, so it's now not even possible to do that.

There are options. See this link

https://www.lifeon2wheels.eu/post/mogan-an-update

There is also a ferry that runs from Arguineguin to Puerto De Mogan. You can bring your bike on that. Not ideal, but maybe better than nothing. And I've heard reports of people cycling on the motorway (definitely not recommended).

I haven't cycled there since the blockage became totally impassible. Others might be able to share what option they took to get to Mogan.

Sound. Thanks. - Would you recommend any particular site for downloading gpx routes in advance? I had some for Lanzarote but they were dated and a bit hit and miss out on the road.

Sound. Thanks. - Would you recommend any particular site for downloading gpx routes in advance? I had some for Lanzarote but they were dated and a bit hit and miss out on the road.

sorry, I'm a bit old-school. There's a route map you can get in freemotion for around 7 euro. I'd pick that up and use that for your routes. most are pretty easy to follow.

Most people stay around Maspalomas, usally best prices on accomodation and it has all the bike hire places close by.
    Playa is more old school beach/pool tourist area.

Sonneland is nice, but mainly residential.

Meloneras is a bit more upmarket towards the harbour.

You won't need a car if you take any of the Lifeon2wheels tours or with Freemotion.
    Bus from the airport is around €3 to Maspalomas.

Cheers, I liked having car last time as some days we drove to the different parts of island and cycled from there. Car hire is dirt cheap this time of year too, there are two of us brining our bikes and car is about 40 each plus about 15 each for insurance. Travelling with our own bikes too, I never need to book a bag then :)

Here were my routes last time I was there if you want to export the GPX's

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1457904387
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1457904616
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1457904754
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1457905008
    https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1457905196 Valley of Tears! Metal ring in hub snapped and had to turn back :( Not a nice descent as road surface not great in parts!!

Also you'll probably come across lots on Strava. Ineos are there right now if you search for Froome, could export his :)

They caught us on the motorway, we hopped on when we found the road was closed... and after shouting angrily in spanish and threatening to take the bikes... they (and i swear i am not making this up) turned us around to cycle in the thankfully large hard shoulder against the oncoming traffic for a mile or two back to the ramp we came onto it on).

Bambaata wrote: »
    Cheers, I liked having car last time as some days we drove to the different parts of island and cycled from there. Car hire is dirt cheap this time of year too, there are two of us brining our bikes and car is about 40 each plus about 15 each for insurance. Travelling with our own bikes too, I never need to book a bag then :)

Cicar for the car hire. Have hired with them ~20 times and they're great every time. No hidden costs like some of the other chancers. Cars aren't brand new, but they're more than grand.

I'd also recommend looking into getting your own insurance (I use carhireexcess - 45 quid for the year). Really cost effective, and you can tell the rental car companies to shove it when they try and fleece you.

Is there an alternative to that road closure for valley of tears, apart from the ferry option?

• Advertisement

Cicar for the car hire. Have hired with them ~20 times and they're great every time. No hidden costs like some of the other chancers. Cars aren't brand new, but they're more than grand.

I'd also recommend looking into getting your own insurance (I use carhireexcess - 45 quid for the year). Really cost effective, and you can tell the rental car companies to shove it when they try and fleece you.

Yeah have used carhireexcess for years, had one claim on it years ago and was very straight forward! Think I may have actually ended up with Cicar last time, two of us in a tiny little yoke that we just barely managed to get the two bike boxes into :) That name rings a bell anyway. I'm now trying to remember if I still have an annual sub in effect, have travel insurance but cant remember if I still have the motor too!

Is there an alternative to that road closure for valley of tears, apart from the ferry option?

there is, but it involves about 10km of climbing, and a good few extra kms.

if you head from maspalomas towards Arguineguin, and ride into the Soria valley. About 15km up that valley you'll arrive at a pretty stiff climb (around 8/9% avg). Ride up that climb for around 5km and you'll arrive at a plateau. I can't remember the name of the place, but theres a signpost that will tell you you are at 690m altitude. Just after that sign theres a left turn up a broken road. It's broken, but it's grand on the bike. This takes you up another 3/4km climb, and its b*stard steep in places (~16/17%).

When you get to the top of that climb you'll encounter a downhill section that will take you to a junction with a road with a much better surface. If you turn left here you'll descend for 6/7km, coming out at a junction near Mogan village. If you turn right at that junction you are back on the road to St.Nicholas, and the VOTT.

When the coast road was open it was ~80km to the foot of the VOTT with a lot of climbing in the bank (that coast road is very undulating). I'd imagine the above detour will put another 10/15km onto that again. So prepare for a monster day out if you opt for the above.

Fair play. Thanks a million. We'll see how we get on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Still hear horror stories from my clubmates of the day the tackled the VOTT

worst experience many of them ever had on a bike

brutal warm day and ran out of water towards the top, not many options in the way of shops or cafes, garden hose is what you'll need to look for

Its a great route! the surface is sketchy on the way up in parts with potholes but you travel so slowly you have plenty of time to avoid :P

I remember thinking to myself that id hate to have to descend it and about 1km from the very top my hub broke so had to! The brake pads were melting into the wheel so much so that every so often I had to stop and let the rims cool off!

Andalucia wrote: »
    Still hear horror stories from my clubmates of the day the tackled the VOTT

worst experience many of them ever had on a bike

brutal warm day and ran out of water towards the top, not many options in the way of shops or cafes, garden hose is what you'll need to look for

First 2 years i did it (back in 2009 / 2010) when men were men... did it on a 39-25. And i was mocked for having the 25. Its remarkable how quickly easier gearing ratios have been adopted (and not before time either). Back in the day It was basically the same as about 50 minutes of heavy squats.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

if you head from maspalomas towards Arguineguin, and ride into the Soria valley. About 15km up that valley you'll arrive at a pretty stiff climb (around 8/9% avg). Ride up that climb for around 5km and you'll arrive at a plateau. I can't remember the name of the place, but theres a signpost that will tell you you are at 690m altitude. Just after that sign theres a left turn up a broken road. It's broken, but it's grand on the bike. This takes you up another 3/4km climb, and its b*stard steep in places (~16/17%).

Both those climbs are amazing and difficult as f**k on their own. That was a fantastic day on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Hey , there are 9 of us heading to maspalomas for a week in march, we will be carrying our bikes and looking for transport from the airport, so 9 people with bike boxs, anyone have a company they recommend, I got a recommendation from a friend, the company were charging 160 for the 30 minute trip-a bit steep I thought, I remember getting a rental bus last year from the airport and paying €8 per head.
    Thanks

Hey , there are 9 of us heading to maspalomas for a week in march, we will be carrying our bikes and looking for transport from the airport, so 9 people with bike boxs, anyone have a company they recommend, I got a recommendation from a friend, the company were charging 160 for the 30 minute trip-a bit steep I thought, I remember getting a rental bus last year from the airport and paying €8 per head.
    Thanks

The maspalomas bus is 8 euro a head alright, but the bike boxes are gonna double that.

If you're looking at those kinds of costs (doubling it for the return trip), it might be worth your while hiring a minibus for the week. Might take 2 spins from the airport to maspalomas (one with the bikes, one with the passengers), but it'll work out cheaper (~300 euro with cicar), and you'll have the use of the van while you're there. And, it's only 20 mins from the airport to Maspalomas, so, while not ideal, it could be worth the effort.

• Advertisement
Advertisement