Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing or updating an existing alarm set up, pros and cons

Options
  • 13-01-2020 3:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For the past several years we have been using an alarm system based on a mixture of perimeter sensors on doors and windows and 1-2 motion sensors on landings. The alarm is 'monitored' by means of a SIM with dialler which contacts family members in the event of an event.

Overall it has worked well for us and the dialler has meant costs are pretty good.

Due to building works we had to quote for replacing the sensors at the back of the house / putting in new ones and we have received a quote that at first glance seems pretty hefty, just under 1K... It was for wire free detection on all windows and doors and an internal motion detector. These are HKC branded. There's no cables in place in the area in question so I suppose there's installation costs.

This is with our existing provider, who installed the dialler and who we have a contract with for a set number of maintenance call outs per year (I've generally found that the contract is worth the price because something always seems to go wrong at least once a year that requires a call out). To date we've been happy with the company concerned, Dublin based and reasonably well known.

I am very unsighted to what's happening in the industry / marketplace now however... I presume there are more competitors than a few years ago, and maybe we would benefit from changing things up.

Just wondering what posters would suggest based on the 1K cost, if you were in my shoes would you go with this, or is there a radically cheaper alternative that I should be considering.

We can get access to the code for the existing panel, which still hooks up to sensors all over the front of the house, for no cost, not sure if that changes things.

I'm not interested at all in self-installing / tinkering / having anything to do with that end of things. The furthest I've gone in that direction was to sort the dialler to contact us versus having it monitored by a control room.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

How old is your existing system?

Did your existing company give you a written quotation for what they are doing?

If your panel is old, then it would not have a wireless capability so I reckon they are more than likely replacing that. Also your existing SIM type dialler is not compatible with the latest HKC panels.

So the number does seem fair to me, just depending on the quantity of wireless devices that are required.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

What I've got in the quote is for a 12 volt 7 ah standard battery for the control panel, then nine wire free combined shock / magnetic contact sensors, and one wire free passive infra red motion detector ... Then labour / installation ...

Not sure why the battery for the control panel is in there, but the control panel itself is about 6 years old. I understood it's a decent enough one but again, what would I know.

The quote is just more than I had anticipated, it's not even that I necessarily think it's unfair, just doing a bit of due diligence I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

What I've got in the quote is for a 12 volt 7 ah standard battery for the control panel, then nine wire free combined shock / magnetic contact sensors, and one wire free passive infra red motion detector ... Then labour / installation ...

Not sure why the battery for the control panel is in there, but the control panel itself is about 6 years old. I understood it's a decent enough one but again, what would I know.

The quote is just more than I had anticipated, it's not even that I necessarily think it's unfair, just doing a bit of due diligence I guess...

Ok, the HKC Securewave Panels, with wireless capability have female voices that are audible from their Keypads, this will confirm straight away whether or not your existing panel has a wireless capability.
    As your system is only 6 years old then it may very well be a Securewave Panel.

The best advice I could give you would be to seek quotes from other companies in your own area.
    My own thoughts are, the quote you got is there or thereabouts, wireless gear is a lot more expensive than wired.

Advertisement