Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maintenance

Options
  • 13-01-2020 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭

After picking up a new (to me) MTB and wondering whether anyone can recommend a good maintenance guide for pre and post-spin maintenance?

It's my first time with air suspension

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Alkers wrote: »
    After picking up a new (to me) MTB and wondering whether anyone can recommend a good maintenance guide for pre and post-spin maintenance?

It's my first time with air suspension

Pre spin, check that the wheels are tight, check tyres are in ok nick. Check that the headset is tight. Check your brakes, are the pads nearly worn?. Check that the chain isn't dirty or rusty, if so clean it and oil it.
    Post spin, depending on how muddy it's gotten you will probably need to wash the bike but use a low pressure hose. The cleaners such as muc off do help do loosen the mud.
    Clean and oil the chain. A chain cleaner that can fit over your chain makes the cleaning very easy and is a good investment.
    Check over the bike.. was there anything not quite right with it on the spin? Now is the time to sort it or at least work out what it is before you forget completely ( until the next spin )
    That's the basics of it. You dont have to check everything after every spin but you'll figure out a happy medium

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

Thanks, any recommendations for chain cleaner and lube?

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭El Vino

I've started to use a little fork seal lube on the fork, shock and dropper seat post after cleaning the bike to see if I can keep everything working a little longer without expensive (or time consuming) services. Time well tell if it has been successful!
    Agree with above otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

If running tubeless, top up that sealant every 4 to 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Alkers wrote: »
    Thanks, any recommendations for chain cleaner and lube?

Finish Line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

Biopace wrote: »
    If running tubeless, top up that sealant every 4 to 6 weeks.

And if not running tubeless, run tubeless!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

steamsey wrote: »
    And if not running tubeless, run tubeless!

Yep. Tubeless is a huge upgrade.

I wrote that post fairly late at night. Few other things I'd add...
    Check the derailler, if you gave it any bangs on the last spin or it's not shifting right, it could just need adjustment on the cable but also look from behind bike and check that the derailler is straight, the cage should be vertical and the jockey wheels should be parallel to the back wheel if that makes sense. Clean any dirt out of the jockey wheels.
    spin each wheel and check that they are running true. If the wheels have some buckling no big deal but check for loose spokes. If you aren't confident with fixing wheels and it's not a beginner skill really, bring them to a shop. Most charge very little for truing up wheels. Much cheaper to catch any issue early.
    Check also that the discs are not catching the pads, and that the disc is fairly central between the pads.Again a little is ok but if the wheel isnt able to spin freely the disc might be warped or the caliper might need to be adjusted so that the pads are not catching. The pads should grab the disc evenly. ( unless you have single piston mechanical brakes )
    Again these are not necessarily every spin but it will mean you notice anything that's changed.

Advertisement