Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

concern for child

Options
  • 13-01-2020 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I have a daughter attending a weekly dance/theater class.
    my concern is the class organiser/instructor's male partner (not sure if fiancee or just boyfriend) he regularly arrives at these classes and sits there on his phone in the background near the stage.
    My child has made me aware that she is uneasy about him always being there.
    Now I don't want to go the the Gardai about this but is there any checks that can be done re staff / employees of these classes. Is he entitled to be there because he carries in some of the props used for the classes and helps out at show time (Christmas and annual performance)
    Who can i contact - Is there a regulatory authority on these out of school companies?

Comments

Why don't you just ask the person whom you pay for these classes? I would if I was paying for them. You could brooch it by asking them if everyone in the child's company is garda vetted and ask if said partner is too. You just can't be too careful these days to be honest.
    And be blunt with them, tell the instructor you'll pull your child from the classes if not vetted and still in the company of your child.
    Also if your child said she's uneasy this would be a big red flag for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭purplestar77

There is no regulatory body here. And Garda vetting of staff would be the minimum I would expect although unless the person is a teacher or involved in looking after children in an official setting (playschool / GAA / sports etc) I would be surprised if they were garda vetted.

Much more important in my opinion would be to ask the dance school had a child safeguarding statement or child protection policy in place. And if so ask to see it - that should cover supervisions of children while in class etc.

I work in a community setting where there are lots of independently run kids Afterschool activities & I’m amazed how parents just enrol their kids in these activities and don’t ask about these things.

There is no regulatory body here. And Garda vetting of staff would be the minimum I would expect although unless the person is a teacher or involved in looking after children in an official setting (playschool / GAA / sports etc) I would be surprised if they were garda vetted.

Much more important in my opinion would be to ask the dance school had a child safeguarding statement or child protection policy in place. And if so ask to see it - that should cover supervisions of children while in class etc.

I work in a community setting where there are lots of independently run kids Afterschool activities & I’m amazed how parents just enrol their kids in these activities and don’t ask about these things.

I don't think it has to be an official setting to be a requirement. Any of my sons extra ciricular activities, kickboxing, rugby, golf and hurling all have a statement when signing up that all instructors or coaches are garda vetted.
    I agree these important things absolutely should be confirmed before signing up to anything for children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Have you tried having a quick chat with the guy? It's likely if he helps move props about, he's just hanging around and keeping out of the way while waiting for his partners class to finish up. Especially if he's giving her a lift in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

well its certainly not a police matter, obviously if you are not happy with an activity you are sending your child to then you should remove your child.
    or you could broach the subject with the person you are paying money to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If I was running a class and a parent approached me with a seemingly unfounded concern (he hasn't done anything, correct? The child is just uneasy?) regarding my partner helper and was looking for a child protection statement I would not be permitting that child to attend.

There is enough grief dealing with children and parents. Whatever about being paid for these services I cannot understand why anyone would volunteer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'm all for never being too careful when it comes to childrens safety but this sounds like a bit of an overreaction.
    You would be seriously wasting Garda resources by reporting this to them, when nothing has even happened.

It sounds like he actually doesn't even have any contact with the children, he just moves equipment and sits on his phone? So what does he do to make your daughter feel uncomfortable, is there more to the story?
    Query as to whether he is vetted, if he isn't, remove your child from the class.
    If he is, and your child is still uncomfortable, then remove her from the class. The man isn't the problem (based on what you have said).

As an aside, my cousin & I attended a dance class as children, one week she got given out to by our (male) instructor for acting the maggot. She refused to go back the week after saying she was scared of him & didn't want to be around him, alarm bells went off and her parents thought something awful had happened.
    They were about to go confront him guns blazing accusing him of all sorts, when I told them it was because she had been given out to for being bold...She had never mentioned that part.
    I'm NOT calling your daughter a liar but its very common for kids to do things like the above when they've gotten in trouble. Just something to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I have a daughter attending a weekly dance/theater class.
    my concern is the class organiser/instructor's male partner (not sure if fiancee or just boyfriend) he regularly arrives at these classes and sits there on his phone in the background near the stage.
    My child has made me aware that she is uneasy about him always being there.
    Now I don't want to go the the Gardai about this but is there any checks that can be done re staff / employees of these classes. Is he entitled to be there because he carries in some of the props used for the classes and helps out at show time (Christmas and annual performance)
    Who can i contact - Is there a regulatory authority on these out of school companies?

Well the guards aren't going to do anything because someone 'feels uneasy'. Chap hasn't done anything wrong based on your post but if you're unhappy with the set up then it's up to you too take your child out of the class.

Here's the rules on vetting

'Any person whose work or activity involves access to children or vulnerable persons must be vetted. Workers include staff, volunteers and those on student placements working for a relevant organisation through which they have access to children and / or vulnerable persons'.

So if he's involved with the theatre/class then yes he should be vetted. If he's not involved then he's as entitled to be there as much as you are.

But whether or not he is vetted is not going to change your child's feelings on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If this was a woman would you have the same concerns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

It sounds like he’s sitting in the corner waiting to help her take her equipment back out to the car and get a lift home. That said, if your daughter feels uncomfortable, you shouldn’t make her go to the class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd dig more down into why your daughter feels uncomfortable. It might not be him, but some other incidents that have brought this on. If she's uncomfortable in the presence of adult men seemingly without reason, then I'd be concerned about what someone may be telling her, or what else might have occurred that she hasn't told me about.
    Or she might just be self-conscious and embarrassed, especially if she's approaching her teens.

As others have said, there is no Garda vetting requirement in this case, it's not even possible to do it, and the guy is not doing anything wrong.

It's quite common for parents or other individuals to sit at the back of a class and wait for it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If your daughter doesn’t want to go to the dance class then don’t make her go.
    She doesn’t like this guy being there, that’s fine but he seems to be part of the set up and the woman running the classes doesn’t have to tailor make the experience to suit your child. She couldn’t possibly do that.
    Let her go or not go having reassured her that she is not in any danger and if she is bothered by anything she is to tell the teacher that she wants you to come and collect her straight away and you will.
    I would concur with other posters that you need to investigate why she is bothered about this man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

You could write a letter to the garda vetting authorities and express a concern that you are worried that there is a potentially unvetted adult male with access to children.

reaslistically, he has no business in there while there are children there. He should be waiting somewhere else and move the gear in and out when there is no-one in the room before and after the class. It is unacceptable that he would be there looking on when there is no need for him to be. Can't be too careful these days.

You could write a letter to the garda vetting authorities and express a concern that you are worried that there is a potentially unvetted adult male with access to children.

reaslistically, he has no business in there while there are children there. He should be waiting somewhere else and move the gear in and out when there is no-one in the room before and after the class. It is unacceptable that he would be there looking on when there is no need for him to be. Can't be too careful these days.

As opposed to what days??

It is the above posters attitude that will ensure that sports clubs cannot find volunteers to be involved with children and there will never be TY or work experience students in our office.

Letter to the guards?? It's definitely not worth the grief to get involved with providing services for children.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Here's the rules on vetting

'Any person whose work or activity involves access to children or vulnerable persons must be vetted. Workers include staff, volunteers and those on student placements working for a relevant organisation through which they have access to children and / or vulnerable persons'.

Where is that a quote from please?

Potentially it means that if a child has a parent who wouldn't pass vetting, that parent cannot attend events with their child. And that the moment a young person turns 18, they need to be vetted before they can hang out with their 17 year old friends again.

The vetting relates to being in a role of responsibility or supervision of children. It wouldn’t apply to a parent accompanying a child or an 18 yr old hanging out with friends. That said a 17yr old who helps out or volunteers with an organisation should be vetted upon turning 18. It’s good practice.

The vetting relates to being in a role of responsibility or supervision of children. It wouldn’t apply to a parent accompanying a child or an 18 yr old hanging out with friends. That said a 17yr old who helps out or volunteers with an organisation should be vetted upon turning 18. It’s good practice.

That's not what the quoted text says. It just says access.

A very strict interpretation of the word access would mean you would need to be vetted to walk down the street, for fear you might share a space with a child

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Where is that a quote from please?

Potentially it means that if a child has a parent who wouldn't pass vetting, that parent cannot attend events with their child. And that the moment a young person turns 18, they need to be vetted before they can hang out with their 17 year old friends again.

Quick google found this.

National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012-2016

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

If the person is on premises, they should be vetted. I don't care if it's a man or woman, random people shouldn't be hanging around.

MarkR wrote: »
    Quick google found this.

National Vetting Bureau (Children and Vulnerable Persons) Acts 2012-2016

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/data_protection_at_work/garda_clearance_for_employees.html

If the person is on premises, they should be vetted. I don't care if it's a man or woman, random people shouldn't be hanging around.

So do parents need to be vetted if they wish to supervise?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

splinter65 wrote: »
    I would concur with other posters that you need to investigate why she is bothered about this man.

Exactly. Seems unusual that a guy who helps with the equipment and sitting quietly in the corner would be a problem. If the OP's daughter is shy, may be the guy could be asked to wait somewhere where he is not seen. Or it could be that the kid does not want to go to classes and just looks for an excuse.

Also lots of people are Garda vetted. For example, I am vetted from one time I had to do something for a creche. So the guy may be vetted already. Does it change much in this case? I don't think so.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Exactly. Seems unusual that a guy who helps with the equipment and sitting quietly in the corner would be a problem. If the OP's daughter is shy, may be the guy could be asked to wait somewhere where he is not seen. Or it could be that the kid does not want to go to classes and just looks for an excuse.

What kind of lesson does that teach the child? Working on the assumption that he has done nothing wrong and that the child only doesn't like the look of him, are we really suggesting that the right course of action is telling this guy to hide? Will mammy be able to always get the men the child doesn't like the look of to go and hide?

probably the only thing he is in danger of molesting is the radiator while trying to keep warm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

vetted or unvetted, an adult male has no business in a room of young girls dowing a class unless he is instructing or some way involved. He should be waiting in the car or somewhere off the premises. Loitering about the room is not acceptable.

So do parents need to be vetted if they wish to supervise?

Yes they should be

vetted or unvetted, an adult male has no business in a room of young girls dowing a class unless he is instructing or some way involved. He should be waiting in the car or somewhere off the premises. Loitering about the room is not acceptable.

Why is that? Do you have the same issue with male teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

But he is involved. He helps her with setting up and moving equipment. Maybe she feels more comfortable having a second adult in the room in case one of the kids tries to accuse her of hitting them. Or maybe she’d like to have a second adult on standby in case someone falls and hurts themselves and she wants someone to phone a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Absolute hyperbole.
    Attitudes like this is why men are reluctant to volunteer in any activities involving children. Its actually so damaging and dangerous.
    You are assuming he's some sort of predator up to no good based off pretty much nothing.

I guarantee there would be none of this talk if the partner in question was female.

Absolute sexist hogwash of the highest order. He has more right to be there than OP's daughter, by the sounds of it, seeing as he is in some way involved, what with moving equipment and props and the shows etc. For all we know, it's his dance company and his missus runs it for him. Or another scenario might be that one of the conditions of operation is that there has to be X number of adults present in case something happens or some other accusation is levelled at those running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Absolute sexist hogwash of the highest order. He has more right to be there than OP's daughter, by the sounds of it, seeing as he is in some way involved, what with moving equipment and props and the shows etc. For all we know, it's his dance company and his missus runs it for him. Or another scenario might be that one of the conditions of operation is that there has to be X number of adults present in case something happens or some other accusation is levelled at those running the show.

ya there is a strong argument for always having another adult present. i'm a sports coach and if i ever dont another vetted coach with me ill try and have another non vetted adult present watching,usually a parent.

• Advertisement

I don’t agree. If he has the right to be there, then he should be vetted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement