Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Seems like a couple of users here have a cultural cringe at our founding leaders. Some here would prefer revisionism and all traditions on this island respected as Leo would say. Now Where's my orange sash? I'm planning on marching through ardoyne to celebrate Protestant supremacy over vanguished Catholic army. But all in the name of tolerance!

Absolutely all traditions, people etc on this island should be respected, once they are respectful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Max Powers wrote: »
    the general tone comes across as hatred IMO anyway. I couldn't read that and subsequent posts and think anything less.
    It is easier to dismiss History and wallow in ignorance than to try understanding it. History is rarely as simple as you expect. Try reading some.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jmcc wrote: »
    It is easier to dismiss History and wallow in ignorance than to try understanding it. History is rarely as simple as you expect. Try reading some.

Regards...jmcc

I do, that's why I pointed out your post was a touch of over simplification, to be fair, you corrected that by adding, in your reply, various other reasons for vote pattern change 1918. So no ignorance, no dismissal.some wise words....bow to the past but don't be bound by it.I don't think you'll be a fan of the person who said that.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Regards...jmcc
    You're 100% right about history. However, the trouble is that some people don't treat history as history and allow it to overly influence their opinions on today's world. To call Bruton or any modern 26 county politician neo-liberal is completely anachronistic.
    So Bruton was too friendly with Prince Charles. So what? Would you care if he was too friendly with a Belgian or Danish prince? The Republic of Ireland is an independent state so why shouldn't our politicians welcome representatives of the UK as we do those of any other state?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »
    Such as.

Someone added the link above quiet fella

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

You're 100% right about history. However, the trouble is that some people don't treat history as history and allow it to overly influence their opinions on today's world. To call Bruton or any modern 26 county politician neo-liberal is completely anachronistic.
    Neo-Unionist. :) Big difference.
    So Bruton was too friendly with Prince Charles. So what? Would you care if he was too friendly with a Belgian or Danish prince?
    It would be rather odd given Bruton's history. He's very much of the Redmondite faction of FG. As a party, FG is quite complex in that it has both Republican and Redmondite elements. This is a legacy of absorbing a lot of the old IPP politicians. There's a good RTE documentary series on FG ("Fine Gael - a family at war") that provides a lot of information on the history of FG.
    The Republic of Ireland is an independent state so why shouldn't our politicians welcome representatives of the UK as we do those of any other state?
    The clip is on Youtube. This wasn't a welcome as such. It was rather embarrassing.

Regards...jmcc

Neo-Unionist. :) Big difference.

It would be rather odd given Bruton's history. He's very much of the Redmondite faction of FG. As a party, FG is quite complex in that it has both Republican and Redmondite elements. This is a legacy of absorbing a lot of the old IPP politicians. There's a good RTE documentary series on FG ("Fine Gael - a family at war") that provides a lot of information on the history of FG.

The clip is on Youtube. This wasn't a welcome as such. It was rather embarrassing.

Regards...jmcc

Oops, meant to say neo-unionist, not neo-liberal. Freudian slip, perhaps;).
    However, I think that you are over egging the influence of the events of 100 years ago on day to day politics today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

While not uninteresting, I feel the discussion is veering away from the thread topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

What is the thought process behind the candidates that will poll say a couple of hundred votes, like the renua candidate, philips and others ? Is it something just for the cameras ? Or to build a little recognition and support for something like a council run later ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,394 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Quigs Snr wrote:
    What is the thought process behind the candidates that will poll say a couple of hundred votes, like the renua candidate, philips and others ? Is it something just for the cameras ? Or to build a little recognition and support for something like a council run later ?

Maybe people just wanna give it a go, fair play to them I say, I'd say politics is a vile game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Quigs Snr wrote: »

There will be a lot more votes for Renua and other anti-immigration parties in a few years.

vriesmays wrote:
    There will be a lot more votes for Renua and other anti-immigration parties in a few years.

Seriously doubt that

Did you seriously doubt Peter Casey too.

vriesmays wrote:
    Did you seriously doubt Peter Casey too.

Yes, and I still do

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

https://twitter.com/robcass78/status/1221014855337103361?s=21

It made it into FG one as much as I don't like FG candidates it comes back to who is better for Waterford. 2xFG TDs leading Government or 1xFF leading.

David is safe so people should give there number one wisely. SF don't need it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

It made it into FG one as much as I don't like FG candidates it comes back to who is better for Waterford. 2xFG TDs leading Government or 1xFF leading.

David is safe so people should give there number one wisely. SF don't need it here.

That’s not how our elections work. Give whoever you want your number 1 and if they get in at a landslide your vote will then transfer to your number 2 and so on. None of this tactical voting muck.

That’s not how our elections work. Give whoever you want your number 1 and if they get in at a landslide your vote will then transfer to your number 2 and so on. None of this tactical voting muck.

Many only give number 1 and nothing else.

I have attended counts before and was surprised so many only had 1 marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Many only give number 1 and nothing else.

Well then they’re fools who aren’t getting the most out of their vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Max Powers wrote: »
    Absolutely all traditions, people etc on this island should be respected, once they are respectful.

So I should I accept the sectarian Orange Order? You can't be tolerant of intolerance. They continue to oppose an Irish language act too.

• Advertisement

So I should I accept the sectarian Orange Order? You can't be tolerant of intolerance. They continue to oppose an Irish language act too.

You accept multiculturalism, fake refugees, diversity and multi-genders so why not the OO.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Crusty Blaa

What an odd thought process.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

He's still getting my number one as he's the best politician we have down here by a long shot.

My number two is what I'm stuck for. I'll probably go for Matt Shanahan, even though his views on health equality for women don't sit well with me at all. However, if it helps to keep a FFG chancer from taking a seat, I'll do it.

I don't trust Labour (water charges, raising the pension age etc.) and can't afford to vote for the Greens!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Is it because of David Culliane or sinn Feins policies in general?

It's because Cheech and Chong have had their way for the last 50+ years and their respective parties have gotten fat, lazy and entitled in that time and forgotten about the average person on the street who pay through their teeth in multi taxation without respite.

Maybe, just maybe Sinn Fein can do something about that, maybe even reverse some of it. Who knows, we can dream.

Jonybgud wrote: »
    It's because Cheech and Chong have had their way for the last 50+ years and their respective parties have gotten fat, lazy and entitled in that time and forgotten about the average person on the street who pay through their teeth in multi taxation without respite.

Maybe, just maybe Sinn Fein can do something about that, maybe even reverse some of it. Who knows, we can dream.

sf arent going into government anytime soon, fg and ff, by the looks of it, will remain to play significant parts of government for a long time yet

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    sf arent going into government anytime soon, fg and ff, by the looks of it, will remain to play significant parts of government for a long time yet

Like I said, we can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

So the angle put forward by Rob Cass is that FG are the only party to have made any commitments towards the North Quays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Wanderer78 wrote: »

And they don't want to go into government. If they did they would have two candidates in Waterford and they would probably get two elected. But if that happened in enough counties then they might actually have to make decisions. It's easier be in opposition than have to make decisions.

Jonybgud wrote: »

Genuine question, what makes you think that SF will reduce "multi taxation" of the person in the street. They don't strike me as a low taxation party.

• Advertisement

He's still getting my number one as he's the best politician we have down here by a long shot.

My number two is what I'm stuck for. I'll probably go for Matt Shanahan, even though his views on health equality for women don't sit well with me at all. However, if it helps to keep a FFG chancer from taking a seat, I'll do it.

I don't trust Labour (water charges, raising the pension age etc.) and can't afford to vote for the Greens!

That's fine but SF don't have enough candidates to form a majority Government and I would almost guarantee they would never agree to a minority with FF or FG and if they do agree it will be a short lived Government.

So my point is out of FF and FG who is better for Waterford and whoever people think is better than two seats will be more effective than one.

It is plausible Waterford will be left with no TD in Government depending on the results and that would be even worse than what we have now.

Advertisement