Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

hardybuck wrote: »
    So the angle put forward by Rob Cass is that FG are the only party to have made any commitments towards the North Quays?

TBH he was equally criticising both main parties policies but FF completely omitting it from there manifesto is going to concern him considering the scale of the project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Genuine question, what makes you think that SF will reduce "multi taxation" of the person in the street. They don't strike me as a low taxation party.

To be fair, low tax and left wing don't exactly go hand in hand. It's what they (any left-leaning party) propose to do with the taxes collected that interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Did Fianna Fail include anything about 24/7 cardiac care in their manifesto?

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

Genuine question, what makes you think that SF will reduce "multi taxation" of the person in the street. They don't strike me as a low taxation party.

I think they will tax the wealthy and reduce taxes on the normal man on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Jonybgud wrote: »
    I think they will tax the wealthy and reduce taxes on the normal man on the street.
    I suppose that it depends on who you think is the man on the street and who you think is wealthy. In terms of income tax, we've already got one of the most progressive tax systems in the world in that people on low incomes pay little incomet tax as it is. People on higher incomes already pay more than 50%. Should they pay more? 60%? 80%? One problem is that the really wealthy, the top 0.1% who have the real money will always escape tax by going off shore etc.
    One thing that does surprise me is that nobody has suggested( as far as I know) raising the minimum wage. I would have thought that that would be a big boost for the working poor who often earn not much more than those on social welfare, especially when you add in the side benefits of welfare, e.g. council house etc.

• Advertisement

noby wrote: »
    To be fair, low tax and left wing don't exactly go hand in hand. It's what they (any left-leaning party) propose to do with the taxes collected that interests me.
    Again, genuine question, why do you think that they'll spend the money better. No doubt the current crowd haven't done a great job but I have a suspicion that the waste will go on whoever's in power.

Again, genuine question, why do you think that they'll spend the money better. No doubt the current crowd haven't done a great job but I have a suspicion that the waste will go on whoever's in power.

I honestly don't know if they will.

I honestly don't know if they will.
    Well, I certainly won't criticise you because you want to give another party a shot at it. And fair play, you're not making outlandish claims about the party you support.
    Personally, though, I'm more of a devil you know voter.

Well, I certainly won't criticise you because you want to give another party a shot at it. And fair play, you're not making outlandish claims about the party you support.
    Personally, though, I'm more of a devil you know voter.

'The party I support' might be a bit strong. My personal politics might be left of centre, but I'm not affiliated to any party, and still very much undecided on how I'll vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

'The party I support' might be a bit strong. My personal politics might be left of centre, but I'm not affiliated to any party, and still very much undecided on how I'll vote.

Does any of that matter really, all of them will be pretty much the same level of incompetence, what really matters is does Waterford get its fair share of the money (jobs and investment) the way to do that is have representation in the govt which is going to be ff/fg lead or possibly the two of them, with possibility of a king maker sf/green. If we want some of the cake, let's get tds in those govt parties, the more the better

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Did Fianna Fail include anything about 24/7 cardiac care in their manifesto?

The general manifesto doesn't mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

That’s not how our elections work. Give whoever you want your number 1 and if they get in at a landslide your vote will then transfer to your number 2 and so on. None of this tactical voting muck.

Being smart with your Vote isn't muck, making your vote work against someone isn't muck, if you genuinely don't like a candidate or a candidates views then don't give them a preference at all, give preferences to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Junior wrote: »
    Being smart with your Vote isn't muck, making your vote work against someone isn't muck, if you genuinely don't like a candidate or a candidates views then don't give them a preference at all, give preferences to others.

Ranking a candidate last is worse for them than not getting a preference. Not giving preferences just means you’re not getting the full use out of your vote if it goes down to the last few rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

The bottom line is that some people will hate a candidate so much - for arguments sake let’s say Gardner and Eddie mulligan and Matt shanahan - so he will never put a number beside their names

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Marc Ó Cathasaigh seems like fairly good candidate, even if I'm not totally in favour of Green party policy

The general manifesto doesn't mention it
    A Cork taoiseach putting money into a Waterford hospital? He'll do as little as possible for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Marc Ó Cathasaigh seems like fairly good candidate, even if I'm not totally in favour of Green party policy

I'm thinking the very same. His interview on wlr was really good, he put Damian in his place a few times when he tried to draw out an argument.

Think I mentioned it in here before but I know a staunch member of Fine Gael (regular donor, parents/grandparents were FG type) in Tramore and he said that O Cathasaigh was probably the most decent politician to ever darken his door.

Still has no intention of giving him a vote, mind haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm fond of mark, he ll be getting my number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Jonybgud

I suppose that it depends on who you think is the man on the street and who you think is wealthy. In terms of income tax, we've already got one of the most progressive tax systems in the world in that people on low incomes pay little incomet tax as it is. People on higher incomes already pay more than 50%. Should they pay more? 60%? 80%? One problem is that the really wealthy, the top 0.1% who have the real money will always escape tax by going off shore etc.
    One thing that does surprise me is that nobody has suggested( as far as I know) raising the minimum wage. I would have thought that that would be a big boost for the working poor who often earn not much more than those on social welfare, especially when you add in the side benefits of welfare, e.g. council house etc.

Income tax isn't the only tax.

• Advertisement

Jonybgud wrote: »
    Income tax isn't the only tax.
    You're quite right though it is one of the main planks of revenue raising. Which ones are you(or SF)thinking need increasing? And would bring in enough to cut taxes elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

isn't it amazing to think when you read all the local and national manifestos they are littered with promises of this and that and the one single thing that can blow all of them up? Brexit! nobody is talking Brexit when it is most single issue that could destroy all manifestos by December 31st if Boris doesn't get his deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He might be a good person but I don’t agree with GP Policies so won’t be voting for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I'd probably give Eddie number one. Definitely won't be given Butler second preference. The woman is out of her depth.

Gardner wrote: »
    isn't it amazing to think when you read all the local and national manifestos they are littered with promises of this and that and the one single thing that can blow all of them up? Brexit! nobody is talking Brexit when it is most single issue that could destroy all manifestos by December 31st if Boris doesn't get his deal.

FG want to talk about Brexit - they made it one of their key manifesto points. How good a job they're doing, and we should keep them there to complete the job.
    Problem is, the public don't want to talk about Brexit - it's way down the list of priorities on any polling.
    You may be right about it all blowing up next year - but I wonder is it a bit like the boy who cried wolf at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

A Cork taoiseach putting money into a Waterford hospital? He'll do as little as possible for Waterford.

About as much as the current government have done for Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

FG want to talk about Brexit - they made it one of their key manifesto points. How good a job they're doing, and we should keep them there to complete the job.
    Problem is, the public don't want to talk about Brexit - it's way down the list of priorities on any polling.
    You may be right about it all blowing up next year - but I wonder is it a bit like the boy who cried wolf at this stage?

Expect a bit more of it this week. Michael Barnier is in Dublin this morning, and the British media are talking about it again as their big Brexit day is Jan 31st.

Definitely helpful that there was cross party consensus on this from FG and FF, but there is a lot of really important work to be done this year before they actually leave, and for the trade deal that follows.

When was the last time an Irish Taoiseach has had the upper hand on his counterpart in the UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boris Johnson has successfully gaslit two countries about Brexit. No one is interested cos everyone thinks it's done. I'd say it'll not be until November it creeps back centre stage.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Boris Johnson has successfully gaslit two countries about Brexit. No one is interested cos everyone thinks it's done. I'd say it'll not be until November it creeps back centre stage.

Everyone?
    I wouldn't say so....only the foolish, odds are there's two years at least in this left to go and likely longer. They are very unlikely to get that trade deal in 11 months.

Up until now I will say FG have handled things well when it comes to Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

The CAP cheques to UK farmers stop this friday, watch this space !

Advertisement