Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Gillman1998

I could summarise it like this for me

Did better than I expected: Shanahan, Dunphy, Geoghegan

Did okay: Mulligan, Pratt, Butler, O’Cathasaigh

Little impact: Phillips

No thanks: Cleary, Cummins

How this translates into votes on the day remains to be seen of course, taking into account how likely it is that independents will have any influence.

Well done to Darren and Dermot though, no prisoners taken but in a good way, I thought we learned a lot more about the candidates than some of the other TV debates managed to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Darren and Dermot were pretty good I thought at asking the questions. Maybe Damien Tiernan could take some notes. He let Mary Butler get off scot free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Darren and Dermot were pretty good I thought at asking the questions. Maybe Damien Tiernan could take some notes. He let Mary Butler get off scot free

Yeah, agree credit to two lads and n&s for running it, good job.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Butler was a disgrace. The woman doesn't belong in politics. She said wasn't in favour of exclusion zones so perfectly okay for women who just had an abortion to be taunted.

Not to mention the 1 in 4 women that have miscarriages when pregnant who have to come out to protesters with white coffins and crosses.

Nobody should have to deal with those idiot protesters when using our health services.

AdMMM wrote: »
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-hard-shoulder/waterford

Ivan Yates ran through the constituency on their "Calling It" Podcast. He has Waterford as:

1. Cullinane
    2. Butler
    3. Geoghegan
    4. Shanahan

I reckon our dear Ivan has simply checked the bookmakers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Strong rumours circulating about Shanahan being backed by Fine Geal.
    Word has it if elected will flip from being an independent.
    Refused to give a clear answer and it makes sense why the FG candidates went full out lunatics on him.
    Not chancing a vote in him because of this.

Mulligan spoke well and has come back strong after a very public assassination attempt.
    I like him given time with his party he could work his way to the main table.

Dunphy spoke well but is surrounded by raving lunatics on the campaign trail and in general.
    Can’t take her seriously (I want to) when herself and her band of men show up and protest at the opening of a letter.

Butler a complete waste of space has done nothing only get rich.
    Arrogant, bumbling and ignorant.

Cleary oh my oh my back to the 19th century with you.

Cummins made himself out to be a complete pompous clown, not a good local rep will never ever be good enough for national politics.

Don’t like the greens no presence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Nypd wrote: »

Have to smile at this. General election next Saturday and "strong rumours circulating........"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Refused to give a clear answer and it makes sense why the FG candidates went full out lunatics on him.

Mulligan spoke well and has come back strong after a very public assassination attempt.

Dunphy spoke well but is surrounded by raving lunatics on the campaign trail and in general.
    Can’t take her seriously (I want to) when herself and her band of men show up and protest at the opening of a letter.

Cummins made himself out to be a complete pompous clown, not a good local rep will never ever be good enough for national politics.

I like Mulligan, think he understands the city and we badly need more of that in our TD’s. However, my problem is voting for him may end up putting Fianna Fail in power. The thought of having the Taoiseach and Minister of Finance both being from Cork is mildly terrifying to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Butler was a disgrace. The woman doesn't belong in politics. She said wasn't in favour of exclusion zones so perfectly okay for women who just had an abortion to be taunted.

Could not agree more. What right had she to abstain on the abortion bill vote. The yes vote in the referendum was 70% in Waterford. Do your Flipp’n job and represent the people of Waterford. You are not there to push your own views or the catholic church’s.

Also, in the city boundary extension she represented Kilkenny. What planet is she on!

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

BBM77 wrote:
    Could not agree more. What right had she to abstain on the abortion bill vote. The yes vote in the referendum was 70% in Waterford. Do your Flipp’n job and represent the people of Waterford. You are not there to push your own views or the catholic church’s.

BBM77 wrote:
    Also, in the city boundary extension she represented Kilkenny. What planet is she on!

Unfortunately she represents the 30% . She coasted in on the first count in the last election, although FF only ran one candidate . She got 21% of first preference votes. If FF only get 21% this time round she is goosed as mulligans city votes may not transfer well to her , that's my hope anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Your right on a lot if what you say. But you won't vote for shanahan in case he jumps to fine Gael .yet you praise Mulligan who did exactly what your suggesting shanahan is going to do. Eddie ran as an independent and git my vote in the local elections a few years back but lost my vote when he immediately jumped to Fianna fail after being elected. Add to that his handling of his own financial situation, would not give me great confidence in his ability to handle public funds. He's a good speaker and seems genuine but

debok wrote: »
    Your right on a lot if what you say. But you won't vote for shanahan in case he jumps to fine Gael .yet you praise Mulligan who did exactly what your suggesting shanahan is going to do. Eddie ran as an independent and git my vote in the local elections a few years back but lost my vote when he immediately jumped to Fianna fail after being elected. Add to that his handling of his own financial situation, would not give me great confidence in his ability to handle public funds. He's a good speaker and seems genuine but

In fairness you have a point.
    Mulligan jumped ship after a local election tho and has since ran as a FF candidate and was re-elected.
    Prepared to look beyond his personal financial situation as there are tens of thousands of people just like him in the country.
    Anyone who believes FF knew nothing about it is full of ....

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

Here’s my take. Waterford is a 4 seat constituency (if the boundary was moved we could be a 5 seater by now). FF and FG know they’re going to get one seat each and they’re happy with that. They know it would cost a lot to win a second seat and they don’t think it’s worth it.

David is our best politician but SF aren’t going to be in government, I think they’re regretting not adding more candidates nationally. They will make for a powerful opposition, something the country has been missing for the last four years because of the confidence and supply agreement. It’s easy to have so many great things in a manifesto when you 100% know you’re not going to be in government and won’t have to follow through!!

Matt Shanahan is a single issue candidate. If joining FG, FF or even agreeing to a voting pact with the next government gets us 24/7 cardiac care then he has done what he was voted to do. He would not be “selling out”, he would be doing exactly what people voted for. I hope he gets in to be honest!

1 seat each for FF (hopefully Mulligan), FG (likely Cummins but never underestimate the vote from the County), SF and maybe Shanahan.

24/7 Cardiac Care, North Quays and the pension age are the big issues being discussed in Waterford. We should be looking at other issues like crime, jobs (specifically FDI outside of the North Quays project, education (the forced merger with IT Carlow is going to be a disaster for Waterford, we should be getting a university in addition to a well funded WIT). Instead of all these nice things we should be looking for we just want to have a chance of surviving a heart attack if we have one outside 9-5 Monday to Friday...

JimWinters wrote: »
    Here’s my take. Waterford is a 4 seat constituency (if the boundary was moved we could be a 5 seater by now). FF and FG know they’re going to get one seat each and they’re happy with that. They know it would cost a lot to win a second seat and they don’t think it’s worth it.

David is our best politician but SF aren’t going to be in government, I think they’re regretting not adding more candidates nationally. They will make for a powerful opposition, something the country has been missing for the last four years because of the confidence and supply agreement. It’s easy to have so many great things in a manifesto when you 100% know you’re not going to be in government and won’t have to follow through!!

Matt Shanahan is a single issue candidate. If joining FG, FF or even agreeing to a voting pact with the next government gets us 24/7 cardiac care then he has done what he was voted to do. He would not be “selling out”, he would be doing exactly what people voted for. I hope he gets in to be honest!

1 seat each for FF (hopefully Mulligan), FG (likely Cummins but never underestimate the vote from the County), SF and maybe Shanahan.

24/7 Cardiac Care, North Quays and the pension age are the big issues being discussed in Waterford. We should be looking at other issues like crime, jobs (specifically FDI outside of the North Quays project, education (the forced merger with IT Carlow is going to be a disaster for Waterford, we should be getting a university in addition to a well funded WIT). Instead of all these nice things we should be looking for we just want to have a chance of surviving a heart attack if we have one outside 9-5 Monday to Friday...

Cummins hasn’t a hope in hell in getting in.
    Don’t think he is capable of national politics.
    Damien Geoghegan should walk in for FG.

IF Shanahan flips by all accounts it will be FG and looking at the polls they may not be in a position to go into a coalition with FF.

It’s a tangled web they weave

• Registered Users Posts: 5 NotInTheMood

Just watched the n&s debate last night. Pains me everytime I see Mary Butler 😴 you'd assume no matter what that there will be at least one FF candidate elected, but I would have Mulligan in over her in a heartbeat, she is an awful representative for the city and county.

Ideally I would have:
    Cullinane
    Mulligan
    Geoghegan
    Shanahan

But I think even there I'm asking for a lot 🀔

JimWinters wrote:

Would be very surprised if Cummins got a seat. The FG vote is a lot higher in the west than in the city . Shanahan or the green party should take a seat but hard to see both . Whichever gets a good transfer from what I think will be a decent Cullinane surplus . Turnout could be higher than last time which was 62% I think. If Turnout gets nearer to 70% I think Cullinane could get 27 % of first preference on a really good day for SF . That would give FF and FG a real scare and its not beyond the scale that only 1 seat between FG and FF but unlikely to happen

Betting odds show

Cullinane
    Butler
    Geoghegan
    Shanahan
    Mark o (what ever his name is GREENS)
    Mulligan
    Cummins
    Pratt

Amazing to see Butler sitting where she is.
    Saying that she was 1/33 but has tumbled to 1/7

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭JimWinters

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Would be very surprised if Cummins got a seat. The FG vote is a lot higher in the west than in the city .

That’s a good point! I see Cummins has been proactive in canvassing around the county but I’ve heard absolutely nothing about or from Geoghegan in the city, so I know nothing at all about him unfortunately...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

According to the betting Kieran Hartley and Lee Walsh, neither of are still running I believe have a better chance of being elected than Bernadette Philips or Una Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

for me it's Una Dunphy No.1, Cullinane No.2 none of the rest are worth voting for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

John Cummins on DT now "12 with" feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Betting odds show

Cullinane
    Butler
    Geoghegan
    Shanahan
    Mark o (what ever his name is GREENS)
    Mulligan
    Cummins
    Pratt

Amazing to see Butler sitting where she is.
    Saying that she was 1/33 but has tumbled to 1/7

Hows is Mulligan even on the board .....

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

robtri wrote: »

Hard work? Dedication? Being an actually good politician?

DLS_75 wrote:
    Hard work? Dedication? Being an actually good politician?

Dedication - not to the people of his council ward who elected him on the basis of being an independent candidate and a few weeks later he joins FF . He couldn't even be loyal to his voters in his ward , he certainly won't be loyal to Waterford if elected , he will toe the party line .

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

robtri wrote: »

He sees the gravy train and wants to hop on. Another parasite politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Opinions are like arseholes eh

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

... and the latest poll is showing Sinn Fein as the number 1 party nationwide.

When the greens did well in the locals, FG were all of a sudden rainbow warriors promising to ban evil cars (at a far flung date in the distant future when they wouldn't be held to account for their empty promises) and generally trying to out-tie-dye t-shirt the greens.

What will FG do now that the republicans are hot right now ? Mark my words, Leo V will have an Ireland Forever Free tattoo, have sworn allegiance to the Army Council of the IRA (which he will tell us doesn't exist - no seriously you guys) and be fronting a Wolfe Tones cover band, whilst promising a military annexation of Northern Ireland.

Interesting times ahead.

And for the first time in my life I am still none the wiser of who to vote for. I could literally vote for anyone (except Butler), although it seems that only Cullinane, Shanahan, Geoghan, Butler, Mulligan and the Green guy have a real shot of being elected with the running order of Shanahan, Mulligan and Green Guy being the most significant piece to pay attention to in order to maximise chances of the vote counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    ... and the latest poll is showing Sinn Fein as the number 1 party nationwide.

When the greens did well in the locals, FG were all of a sudden rainbow warriors promising to ban evil cars (at a far flung date in the distant future when they wouldn't be held to account for their empty promises) and generally trying to out-tie-dye t-shirt the greens.

What will FG do now that the republicans are hot right now ? Mark my words, Leo V will have an Ireland Forever Free tattoo, have sworn allegiance to the Army Council of the IRA (which he will tell us doesn't exist - no seriously you guys) and be fronting a Wolfe Tones cover band, whilst promising a military annexation of Northern Ireland.

Interesting times ahead.

And for the first time in my life I am still none the wiser of who to vote for. I could literally vote for anyone (except Butler), although it seems that only Cullinane, Shanahan, Geoghan, Butler, Mulligan and the Green guy have a real shot of being elected with the running order of Shanahan, Mulligan and Green Guy being the most significant piece to pay attention to in order to maximise chances of the vote counting.

What'll happen tomorrow night is that the two parties will set out to dismantle their manifesto, their track record in Europe and the North.

I think the point about the Greens would be true to every party.

Also haven't a clue what way I'll vote. We've only had one candidate come up to canvas by the way - Cleary.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Quigs Snr wrote:

Jaysis, poor marks name is lost in all of this!

I'm still expecting another blockage by ff and fg at the end of this, but this is getting really interesting now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Tarzann

I saw election posters being taken down by the County Council this morning near Kilmeaden on approach to roundabout from Dungarvan side. Must have been obstructing traffic signs or something like that

Advertisement