Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Anyone listen to the first WLR debate? Was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    Dedication - not to the people of his council ward who elected him on the basis of being an independent candidate and a few weeks later he joins FF . He couldn't even be loyal to his voters in his ward , he certainly won't be loyal to Waterford if elected , he will toe the party line .
    I will give him credit for trying to sort out the anti social problems on the Dunmore Road, has knocked on doors in the past asking to report issues to him. I have considered voting for him but him turning to FF and now holding a directorship while being disqualified will never gain him a vote from me.

Mary Butler, what can I say other than hell would have to freeze over before I would even consider giving her any preference. What has she done for Waterford? She comes out from under her rock every so often to mutter something or have a picture taken and crawls back under it. I'm not sure she will get the votes this time around because of that and because of her recent low brow tactics.
    Nypd wrote: »
    Strong rumours circulating about Shanahan being backed by Fine Geal.
    Word has it if elected will flip from being an independent.
    Refused to give a clear answer and it makes sense why the FG candidates went full out lunatics on him.
    Not chancing a vote in him because of this.
    I wouldn't trust that man as far as I could throw him, he's only interested in himself and what he can get.
    Cleary oh my oh my back to the 19th century with you.

Cummins made himself out to be a complete pompous clown, not a good local rep will never ever be good enough for national politics.

Don’t like the greens no presence
    Cleary is a doctor and supports prolife protests outside hospitals! I would not like to go to him with mental health issues. I don't thrust him, just something with the look of him that doesn't match with being a doctor.

Cummins delusions of grandeur and reminds me of Beavis from Beavis and Butthead.....

I do think the Green chap wants to do something but as a party they have no idea of how the ordinary person lives especially the poor. Can just see increased taxes and driving more people into poverty.

That does make me laugh. He held a directorship (a voluntary role on an arts centre assigned by the council) while being disqualified so I’m not going to vote for him. I doubt there’s a politician out there that doesn’t have skeletons in their closet. If someone works hard - which Eddie mulligan has done for my family - that’s all that matters to me.

Cullinane was talking to a friend of mine recently and she put a good point to him. Her two children are autistic and they have no supports at all. Cullinane said that they would be taxing the three big banks and creating funding stream through that. He said they would hire a lot more OC therapists and speech therapists etc. She replied “you’ll be taxing them at 60% - why the hell will they want to work here?”

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

DLS_75 wrote: »
    That does make me laugh. He held a directorship (a voluntary role on an arts centre assigned by the council) while being disqualified so I’m not going to vote for him. I doubt there’s a politician out there that doesn’t have skeletons in their closet. If someone works hard - which Eddie mulligan has done for my family - that’s all that matters to me.

Cullinane was talking to a friend of mine recently and she put a good point to him. Her two children are autistic and they have no supports at all. Cullinane said that they would be taxing the three big banks and creating funding stream through that. He said they would hire a lot more OC therapists and speech therapists etc. She replied “you’ll be taxing them at 60% - why the hell will they want to work here?”[

The thin edge of the wedge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Cullinane was talking to a friend of mine recently and she put a good point to him. Her two children are autistic and they have no supports at all. Cullinane said that they would be taxing the three big banks and creating funding stream through that. He said they would hire a lot more OC therapists and speech therapists etc. She replied “you’ll be taxing them at 60% - why the hell will they want to work here?”

Are you happy enough with how he became disqualified from being a company director too?

Agree that Cullinane's response, if accurate, if total guff. That tax write off won't apply for much longer in any event I don't think, and they hope to bring in a mere €175m from that measure.

A number of things from their manifesto which concern me - they are seriously anti-business and have baldly targeted those on higher incomes too. €3.4bn extra to go on social protection, €6bn extra on health - feels like monopoly money.

Some examples of a few anti business and anti high earner proposals:

- Abolish USC on first €30k: In fairness FG have reduced this too in recent years as it's a toxic tax that reminds people about the recession, but it'll cost €1.22bn per year. I'd prefer to keep this for a variety of reasons, and use the money.

- 15.75% PRSI for employers on staff earning over €100k - €532m. This has the potential to discourage international firms from locating high quality jobs in Ireland - and we've attracted quite a number since Brexit.

- 5% income levy on individual incomes over €140k - €452m. That income could be the only income coming into the household, and as it is a person earning €140k is paying about €70k in tax as it is, and this would drive it up even higher. If you're paying more tax than you're earning something is horribly wrong.

- Wealth tax on net wealth over €1m - if you owned a house in Dublin that's probably you. €89m.

- Increase inheritance tax by 3% - €45m

- Increase stamp duty on commercial property - €440m

• Advertisement

hardybuck wrote: »
    Are you happy enough with how he became disqualified from being a company director too?

I don’t care enough to stop me voting for him because in all honesty I can’t say that I wouldn’t have acted differently. As I said, I vote based on how good of a politician they are, not on how they reacted to extreme financial pressure 5-10 years ago. I don’t think that it should affect people’s opinions about how hard he works now. But that’s just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Because other politicians may have skeletons in their closets it's ok for them to ignore a High Court order disqualifying them for taking a directorship? It wasn't a case of taking a few weeks after the order to resign he took 17 months to resign "but resigned “as soon as” he was informed that his directorship could breach the order." No wonder this country is the way it is.

I don’t care enough to stop me voting for him because in all honesty I can’t say that I wouldn’t have acted differently. As I said, I vote based on how good of a politician they are, not on how they reacted to extreme financial pressure 5-10 years ago. I don’t think that it should affect people’s opinions about how hard he works now. But that’s just me.

That's fair enough - thanks for being honest.

I would hold a very different view. Eddie finds himself in the company of people like Michael Lowry and Mick Wallace, none of whom I believe are fit for office.

Eddie got a seven year ban, while Mick got six and Lowry got three.

At least Mick and Michael stopped being company directors when they were banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Agree that Cullinane's response, if accurate, if total guff. That tax write off won't apply for much longer in any event I don't think, and they hope to bring in a mere €175m from that measure.

A number of things from their manifesto which concern me - they are seriously anti-business and have baldly targeted those on higher incomes too. €3.4bn extra to go on social protection, €6bn extra on health - feels like monopoly money.

- Abolish USC on first €30k: In fairness FG have reduced this too in recent years as it's a toxic tax that reminds people about the recession, but it'll cost €1.22bn per year. I'd prefer to keep this for a variety of reasons, and use the money.

- 15.75% PRSI for employers on staff earning over €100k - €532m. This has the potential to discourage international firms from locating high quality jobs in Ireland - and we've attracted quite a number since Brexit.

- 5% income levy on individual incomes over €140k - €452m. That income could be the only income coming into the household, and as it is a person earning €140k is paying about €70k in tax as it is, and this would drive it up even higher. If you're paying more tax than you're earning something is horribly wrong.

- Wealth tax on net wealth over €1m - if you owned a house in Dublin that's probably you. €89m.

SF can say all that bullsh1t because they will never ever have the votes to pass any of that if be some miracle they end up in power. Look at the northern assembly, they walked out as soon as they got in. It's like writing cheques that they know cant be cashed

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Few issues with above,
    - Expect 30-40% of that not to happen full stop.

This is not unique to SF, its pretty much every party.

- Out of the stuff that happens, expect it to be watered down

They could promise 30k cars to everyone if it helped them get votes, but in the end you might find that 30k car actually just ends up being a scrppage deal of 3-4k and in years to come the tax payers of the future have to cover it all anyway. Nothing is free.

- SF can't form a goverment on their own.,

This is just stating a fact, but I've noted many SF supporters seem to not take it into account.

- SF's track record in NI isn't great.

Really people need to look into this more, you think Ireland has a homeless issue? Then look at NI. You are unhappy about pension age changing, look at NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    What will FG do now that the republicans are hot right now ? Mark my words, Leo V will have an Ireland Forever Free tattoo, have sworn allegiance to the Army Council of the IRA (which he will tell us doesn't exist - no seriously you guys) and be fronting a Wolfe Tones cover band, whilst promising a military annexation of Northern Ireland.

Interesting times ahead..

One of the accounts on Twitter I follow has done this mashup.

https://twitter.com/damienmulley/status/1223660677941858304

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

So your reaction to extreme financial pressure is to break company law, collect money from your customers under the guise of VAT and line your own pockets with it in order to keep up the lifestyle you've become accustomed to in the good years and completely bury your head in the sand?? Not to mention keeping your employees completely in the dark of your perilous financial situation so that they have practically no notice when you pull the rug from under their feet and deliver the blow that they have no jobs to go to! Hardly commendable and certainly not the behaviour we want from a public representative. I've been quietly following this thread and tbh either you are Eddie Mulligan or you're in love with the man such is your unwavering support for him in spite of all he has proved himself to be in the course of his business and political career.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Few issues with above,
    - Expect 30-40% of that not to happen full stop.

This is not unique to SF, its pretty much every party.

- Out of the stuff that happens, expect it to be watered down

They could promise 30k cars to everyone if it helped them get votes, but in the end you might find that 30k car actually just ends up being a scrppage deal of 3-4k and in years to come the tax payers of the future have to cover it all anyway. Nothing is free.

- SF can't form a goverment on their own.,

This is just stating a fact, but I've noted many SF supporters seem to not take it into account.

- SF's track record in NI isn't great.

Really people need to look into this more, you think Ireland has a homeless issue? Then look at NI. You are unhappy about pension age changing, look at NI.

Agree with you, but you can see the direction they're going for: Shake down businesses and high earners to pay for a massive increase in public housing, abolishing USC (so much that the industry wouldn't actually be able to deliver) and massive increases in health spending.

They'll have to give up a lot of those asks, but if they ended up in Govt they'd have to get some of their proposals included in the budget - which is a scary prospect.

Their track record in NI is rubbish as you've pointed but they blame their coalition partners and London when they don't get their way. Mary Lou blamed London this morning when radio listeners asked her about rates in NI when they want to abolish the property tax here etc.

I can see how the notion of change is appealing, but I'd be genuinely fearful of the potential negative impact of their policies on the economy.

Long term I also think that for genuine Nationalists, a border poll championed by either FF or FG, in 10 years minimum, is the only way a united Ireland is possible. There is so much ingrained distrust between unionists and SF that they will automatically reject any overtures efforts SF make in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Hard work? Dedication? Being an actually good politician?

Going by his todate business accumen as reported in newspapers recently
    and how his business has been run.

he is only after number one

robtri wrote: »
    Going by his todate business accumen as reported in newspapers recently
    and how his business has been run.

he is only after number one

Yes, as per your previous comment on this thread.

I don’t think he’ll be elected either way but he would have been a lot better than the likes of Damien Geoghegan who will be a disaster for Waterford.

Sprites wrote: »
    So your reaction to extreme financial pressure is to break company law, collect money from your customers under the guise of VAT and line your own pockets with it in order to keep up the lifestyle you've become accustomed to in the good years and completely bury your head in the sand?? Not to mention keeping your employees completely in the dark of your perilous financial situation so that they have practically no notice when you pull the rug from under their feet and deliver the blow that they have no jobs to go to! Hardly commendable and certainly not the behaviour we want from a public representative. I've been quietly following this thread and tbh either you are Eddie Mulligan or you're in love with the man such is your unwavering support for him in spite of all he has proved himself to be in the course of his business and political career.

What is it about boards that as soon as you defend someone you are immediately accused of being that person?

No. As I have stated on this thread many times, he helped my family out on more than one occasion. And I too know what it’s like to go through financial hardship. Sometimes it’s a simple as that.

There were less words written about rapists and pedos so excuse me if I think that his financial indiscretions won’t affect his ability to represent the people of Waterford. We are all allowed to make mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Anyone else feel that SF have written a cheque they can’t cash ?
    Lots of promises made that I feel can’t be followed up.
    Easy make promises when you’re sitting third in the polls not so easy when you’re sitting first.
    Which party will do a U turn and form a government with them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

What is it about boards that as soon as you defend someone you are immediately accused of being that person?

No. As I have stated on this thread many times, he helped my family out on more than one occasion. And I too know what it’s like to go through financial hardship. Sometimes it’s a simple as that.

There were less words written about rapists and pedos so excuse me if I think that his financial indiscretions won’t affect his ability to represent the people of Waterford. We are all allowed to make mistakes.

He kept an insolvent business going for 10 years, didn't pay his tax but made sure to pay himself and his brother the rent from the premises. To me it looks like he knew exactly what he was doing. He got away with it for as long as he could and now that he's been found out he needs a new income stream so "All aboard the gravy train"! But as long as he's shouting for the red and white jersey he's spot on!!!

Teebor15 wrote: »
    He kept an insolvent business going for 10 years, didn't pay his tax but made sure to pay himself and his brother the rent from the premises. To me it looks like he knew exactly what he was doing. He got away with it for as long as he could and now that he's been found out he needs a new income stream so "All aboard the gravy train"! But as long as he's shouting for the red and white jersey he's spot on!!!

With regard to your last point, to be fair he hasn't defended John Cummins or Eamon Quinlan - DLS men both who I'd say might have actually played on teams managed by Mulligan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭C__MC

There is more holes in sinn Fein policies then swiss cheese.

There on a Crest of wave with young people as it seems they have answers to housing and health

Be careful what you wish for though.

You also have fianna fail, who put this country bank rupt in 2011 and have a history of dodgy works

We shall see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭C__MC

There is more holes in sinn Fein policies then swiss cheese.

There on a Crest of wave with young people as it seems they have answers to housing and health

Be careful what you wish for though.

You also have fianna fail, who put this country bank rupt in 2011 and have a history of dodgy works

We shall see

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

With regard to your last point, to be fair he hasn't defended John Cummins or Eamon Quinlan - DLS men both who I'd say might have actually played on teams managed by Mulligan.

Eamon Quinlan is not running for election
    John Cummins hasn't ran an insolvent business who avoided paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Anyone else feel that SF have written a cheque they can’t cash ?
    Lots of promises made that I feel can’t be followed up.
    Easy make promises when you’re sitting third in the polls not so easy when you’re sitting first.
    Which party will do a U turn and form a government with them ?

every Party not just SF do this
    or bribe you with your own money
    FF and FG are just as guilty
    Unless you can tell me that FF or FG have kept every promise they have made in the run up to elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Sprites

so excuse me if I think that his financial indiscretions won’t affect his ability to represent the people of Waterford. We are all allowed to make mistakes.

You're entitled to your opinion but financial indiscretions are exactly the kind of thing that would affect someone's ability and suitability to represent constituents and hold public office

Sprites wrote: »
    You're entitled to your opinion but financial indiscretions are exactly the kind of thing that would affect someone's ability and suitability to represent constituents and hold public office

I’ll bite.

They were in the past.

Are you telling me that if your back was against the wall you’d give money to the tax man before putting food on your family’s table?

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Eamon Quinlan is not running for election
    John Cummins hasn't ran an insolvent business who avoided paying tax.

Both lads have been called out in this thread, Cummins particularly so.

Eddie actually managed both players back in the day. We’re a proud club but some have done more for us than others.

Eddie actually managed both players back in the day. We’re a proud club but some have done more for us than others.

Please elaborate!

Mary Lou McDonald has been absolutely scuttled by Miriam O'Callahan on the Paul Quinn questions in the RTE debate.

How many parties have Ministers of Finance who defame people who have been brutally murdered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

robtri wrote: »
    every Party not just SF do this
    or bribe you with your own money
    FF and FG are just as guilty
    Unless you can tell me that FF or FG have kept every promise they have made in the run up to elections?

No not all
    Can’t help but feel SF didn’t foresee their current success tho, if they thought they would have led the polls they surely would have ran more candidates.
    Have they set themselves up for a massive fall.

Advertisement