Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Very naive campaign run by the Greens by the way. The election is being fought on the battleground of housing, health (and crime in the urban areas).

While SF, FF and FG are out there debating these issues and producing slick content on how they'll solve them, I saw videos of Marc up a ****ing mountain saying it'd be great to turn it into a national park with a forest.

Fine Gael lost a ton of ground in the opening week because they thought the big issue was going to be Brexit. They had to quickly adjust their entire strategy when they realised that nobody has Brexit as their big issue. The Greens should also have adjusted but they haven't.

The Greens have a lot to learn about running efficient campaigns.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

AdMMM wrote: »
    Very naive campaign run by the Greens by the way. The election is being fought on the battleground of housing, health (and crime in the urban areas).

While SF, FF and FG are out there debating these issues and producing slick content on how they'll solve them, I saw videos of Marc up a ****ing mountain saying it'd be great to turn it into a national park with a forest.

Fine Gael lost a ton of ground in the opening week because they thought the big issue was going to be Brexit. They had to quickly adjust their entire strategy when they realised that nobody has Brexit as their big issue. The Greens should also have adjusted but they haven't.

The Greens have a lot to learn about running efficient campaigns.

The whole Green Party strategy is wrong.
    Watched all the debates and they just waffled about climate change.
    Didn’t get into the burning issues of housing, employment or anything else worth while for that matter !
    Don’t like their candidate in Waterford there’s something odd about him, I can’t quite put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I did a little tot there last night looking at the betting odds nationally, and maybe applying my own slant to them slightly. I ended up with the following:

FF (51) FG (42) SF (28) Green (10) Labour (8) Independents (16) Others (6).

Some of those numbers could go up or down obviously there are a lot of constituencies where the last seat could go in a number of directions, and who knows what way people will actually decide.

Like a number of people said, bad weather impacts turnout. More affluent voters are traditionally more dedicated voters who are likely to vote FF and FG, and this might have a small but important impact tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Anyone know if Brendan Kenneally was Mary Butler's campaign manager last time round? I've a vague recollection of reading that somewhere a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

deisemum wrote: »
    Anyone know if Brendan Kenneally was Mary Butler's campaign manager last time round? I've a vague recollection of reading that somewhere a while back.

I think he was. He was at the very least heavily involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Nypd wrote: »
    The whole Green Party strategy is wrong.
    Watched all the debates and they just waffled about climate change.
    Didn’t get into the burning issues of housing, employment or anything else worth while for that matter !
    Don’t like their candidate in Waterford there’s something odd about him, I can’t quite put my finger on it.

Health and Housing are obviously unbelievably important but turning the Comeraghs into a National Park would be enough to one of my 1 - 4 preferences.

I think if we were facing a situation of having 4 x Green TD's in Waterford then that wouldn't be ideal but I don't think there is anything wrong in having one green voice to have a broad spectrum of views representing us. Centre-Right, Centre-Left, Left and Green-Left.

Just because we have to sort health and housing doesn't mean that we cannot put some energy into Green initiatives. Also, a Comeragh National Park would be good for people's health. Same for anything that improves air quality, gets people cycling around safely and increases incentives for building/retrofitting energy efficient homes. Waterford is caked in coal smoke around Winter which only adds to the burden on the Health System.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Deiseen wrote: »
    Health and Housing are obviously unbelievably important but turning the Comeraghs into a National Park would be enough to one of my 1 - 4 preferences.

I think if we were facing a situation of having 4 x Green TD's in Waterford then that wouldn't be ideal but I don't think there is anything wrong in having one green voice to have a broad spectrum of views representing us. Centre-Right, Centre-Left, Left and Green-Left.

Just because we have to sort health and housing doesn't mean that we cannot put some energy into Green initiatives. Also, a Comeragh National Park would be good for people's health. Same for anything that improves air quality, gets people cycling around safely and increases incentives for building/retrofitting energy efficient homes. Waterford is caked in coal smoke around Winter which only adds to the burden on the Health System.
    The thing is that the Green party already have the green vote #1s. They aren't going to attract any additional number ones by prioritising National Park policies over the issues that are being talked about in the media.

What the Green Party needs is to be able to sway the undecided voters that are somewhat green-leaning but aren't fully convinced of how they'd tackle other issues. That would secure them more number ones and also make them more transfer-friendly.

Being transfer-friendly is useless unless you secure enough of a first preference to allow you to ladder up through eliminations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

https://youtu.be/2dDRVveDfjQ

That's the debate from Granville the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Who's been driving around the Dunmore Road today with the loudspeaker.

spookwoman wrote: »

There was someone on Browne's Road too but I couldn't see who it was nor make out what it was saying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

There was someone on Browne's Road too but I couldn't see who it was nor make out what it was saying.

Think it was Shanahan, had that droning tone to it

I'm having second thoughts about my preference order.

Might go 1. O' Cathasaigh and 2. Cullinane.

I want O' Cathasaigh to get a seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm having second thoughts about my preference order.

Might go 1. O' Cathasaigh and 2. Cullinane.

I want O' Cathasaigh to get a seat.

casey no 1 myself, he ll have a tough job getting in though

spookwoman wrote: »

It was Shanahan saw the van out the Dunmore Road, couldn’t understand a word tho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

After seeing the local debates im still not really decided on who to go for. One thing im sure if is cummins won't be getting the vote, his behaviour and petulance on the debates bordering on aggression for me says if he was in power he wouldn't work together with any of the other elected reps for the good of the city and county

dzilla wrote: »
      After seeing the local debates im still not really decided on who to go for. One thing im sure if is cummins won't be getting the vote, his behaviour and petulance on the debates bordering on aggression for me says if he was in power he wouldn't work together with any of the other elected reps for the good of the city and county

Someone should teach him how to be civil. From watching the debates he comes across as self-important, petty, childish, and a poor listener. He was the most disappointing candidate for me simply because he does not appear to have any manners or respect for anybody else speaking but himself. I hope he gets nowhere near a seat in this county. I'd never award behaviour like that.

Someone should teach him how to be civil. From watching the debates he comes across as self-important, petty, childish, and a poor listener. He was the most disappointing candidate for me simply because he does not appear to have any manners or respect for anybody else speaking but himself. I hope he gets nowhere near a seat in this county. I'd never award behaviour like that.

Don’t think he ever really stood a chance don’t mind after the debate.
      Very very poor showing from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Cullinane,Butler, O cathasaigh, Cummins

My predictions in that order

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Is there some history between Damien Tiernan and David Cullinane? Seemed like Damien thought Cullinane had pissed in his wheaties

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

AdMMM wrote: »
      The thing is that the Green party already have the green vote #1s. They aren't going to attract any additional number ones by prioritising National Park policies over the issues that are being talked about in the media.

What the Green Party needs is to be able to sway the undecided voters that are somewhat green-leaning but aren't fully convinced of how they'd tackle other issues. That would secure them more number ones and also make them more transfer-friendly.

Being transfer-friendly is useless unless you secure enough of a first preference to allow you to ladder up through eliminations.

Ó Cathasaigh is in the frame for the last seat, he will get enough first preferance votes for transfers to come into play, and the Greens have always been transfer friendly.

It's not like he has ignored all issues other than climate change either. I was at the chamber debate in the Theatre Royal and he got what was probably the biggest round of applause of the night for how he outlined the rational for Green support for an upgrade to the Waterford Limerick road.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Is there some history between Damien Tiernan and David Cullinane? Seemed like Damien thought Cullinane had pissed in his wheaties

Damien is known to be a big blue shirt supporter.he takes his experience from RTE.did you hear his buddy interview with leo yesterday.it was nauseating how easy he went on him

I went with Cullinane 1 and Marc o Castasaigh 2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

Gave everyone a preference except FF FG Greens and Labour.. We need to send out a strong signal to the establishment that Waterford will not reward underdelivery

Job done.

1. O'Cathasaigh
      2. Cullinane
      3. Dunphy
      4. Phillips

The rest can sit and swivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Bards wrote: »
      Gave everyone a preference except FF FG Greens and Labour.. We need to send out a strong signal to the establishment that Waterford will not reward underdelivery

But will reward no delivery...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Bards wrote: »

Just about to go and vote now in a few minutes. Cullinane will be getting my number 1, Dunphy my no. 2, but there's so little choice left after that.

Greens will tax us to the hilt, Shanahan against health equality for women and will fall into bed with FF or FG at will, Labour can't be trusted...I'm stumped!

Such a shame the SDs didn't run a Waterford candidate :(

Such a shame the SDs didn't run a Waterford candidate :(

They're only running candidates in seven counties.

I'd have thrown them a vote but they're fair unorganised.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Giving Ronan cleary Aontú my number one, very nice lad and will work hard for water ford.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think Mary Butter is in trouble

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
      I think Mary Butter is in trouble

Hopefully.

Advertisement