Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

First time a FG candidate hasn't one a general election in Waterford since the party was as founded.

Really think Cummins put his foot in it at the live debates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

First time a FG candidate hasn't one a general election in Waterford since the party was as founded.

First Green candidate outside Dublin to win a seat since 2011.

Love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's a big wake up for fine girl. It's a long way from the days of two TDs by right.

• Advertisement

What's the highest ever percentage in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Really think Cummins put his foot in it at the live debates.

Trying too hard to look outspoken etc. Came across aggressive and petulant. There is a key to controlling this aggression and getting the point across also disagreeing "agreeably" he can't do it and should really work on it for the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I worry about the future of Waterford. Two TDs with very little political experience just because they are anti establishment

Gael23 wrote: »
    I worry about the future of Waterford. Two TDs with very little political experience just because they are anti establishment

Happy days.

**** them.

Gael23 wrote: »
    !

We had a FG TD representing Waterford since 2002 who did virtually nothing. He was only there because of the family name. Hopefully this will be the end of FG feeling entitled to a seat in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I don't think Cummins comes across well. If someone disagrees with him he can't handle it. Even yesterday when votes were cast while being interviewed by Liz Reddy on wlrs excellent coverage he just appeared argumentative. I'd say he can't accept he's every wrong on anything. He should become a little humbler like most in fine Gael. I wonder would paudie Coffey have got elected or was it just a vote against fine Gael. I'm happy with our reps but have feeling there will be another election anywho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

jmcc wrote: »
    O'Casathaigh/Greens wins the last seat. FG loses.

Cullinane/SF
    Butler/FF
    Shanahan/Ind
    O'Cathasaigh/Greens

Regards...jmcc

Don’t think it is a bad result for Waterford. Can’t be much worse than the way Waterford has been treated under FG/FF/Lab governments. Only down side is Butler. Can’t see why anybody would vote for her. Actually shocked she got so many votes. She can barely make a point in debates and interviews. FG shot themselves in the foot running two candidates. Think that is one of the reasons Paudie Coffee pulled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

BBM77 wrote: »
    Don’t think it is a bad result for Waterford. Can’t be much worse than the way Waterford has been treated under FG/FF/Lab governments. Only down side is Butler. Can’t see why anybody would vote for her. Actually shocked she got so many votes. She can barely make a point in debates and interviews. FG shot themselves in the foot running two candidates. Think that is one of the reasons Paudie Coffee pulled out.
    FG's strategy made sense when FG was around 30% in the opinion polls. They did not improvise when things started going wrong. They did not adapt by concentrating their vote. They were overcome.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm secretly very happy with all this, ffg were not listening or reacting to people's anger, fears and frustrations, but continued with incredible arrogance, they needed this wake up call, and I believe they will take it on board, and come back strong. This is a major change, there will be problems, some will be serious, but I wish all those newly elected tds the best, as I'd say it's a difficult job. A new government still needs to be formed anyway, so its early days in this process

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Hopefully it ends the traditional main parties feeling they are automatically entitled to seats, that they may need to listen and work.

Although clearly some aren’t getting it, blaming the electorate for letting them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I think it's a good result for Waterford. FF and SF coalition is the most likely outcome on paper and we will have a TD from each party. David Cullinane will be very senior you would hope also if SF end up with ministerial jobs. A few independents might be needed in a coalition too so it's no harm having Matt Shanahan elected. Health was a big issue for everyone in the election and Matt getting in might drive this home a little bit more to the next government that it's very important to the people in the South East. Happy with the Greens getting in too.

Will be interesting to see what sort of government will be formed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

I think it's a good result for Waterford. FF and SF coalition is the most likely outcome on paper and we will have a TD from each party. David Cullinane will be very senior you would hope also if SF end up with ministerial jobs. A few independents might be needed in a coalition too so it's no harm having Matt Shanahan elected. Health was a big issue for everyone in the election and Matt getting in might drive this home a little bit more to the next government that it's very important to the people in the South East. Happy with the Greens getting in too.

Will be interesting to see what sort of government will be formed.

I Agree. While I cant understand the vote for Mary Butler , the result of the election nationally should mean good news for Waterford. If SF do go into Govt , I think Cullinane is guaranteed a good ministerial portfolio. Shanahan will have some leverage and the Green looks like they may have some say as well. Happy with the result apart from the afore mentioned Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

I have to commend WLR yesterday for their coverage. Between Damien Tiernan and Liz Reddys social media accounts and WLRs pages with the youtube stream the news from the count center was immediate and plentiful.

**edit all elected candidates on wlr atm**

Agree that the way the chips/cards have fallen this might turn out to be a decent election for Waterford's interests. Having a double poll topper who was already in position with a decent profile should mean any SF flavoured government will feature Cullinane prominently.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

debok wrote: »
    I don't think Cummins comes across well. If someone disagrees with him he can't handle it. Even yesterday when votes were cast while being interviewed by Liz Reddy on wlrs excellent coverage he just appeared argumentative. I'd say he can't accept he's every wrong on anything. He should become a little humbler like most in fine Gael. I wonder would paudie Coffey have got elected or was it just a vote against fine Gael. I'm happy with our reps but have feeling there will be another election anywho

To quote and paraphrase Nelson out of the Simpsons "Ha, Ha!". Waterford did not need or want it's own little entitled TD a la Eoghan Murphy. Time to call it a day Sonny Boy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

As a former FG voter, i find myself surprised to be happy that the performance review that Waterford has just given them is as emphatic as it has been.

We dont like people dying on hospital trollies whilst the government borrows tricks from big business (those of us who work for multinationals will have seen it a million times before) and pays to commission reports on it that support the answer they want. That sort of cynicism and a general neglect of the region would never play well. I am still surprised it has been punished however since we have been amd remain a hugely forgiving electorate (Mary Butler, seriously ? Ciara Conway looks like Eamon DeValera next to her).

Although i would be willing to bet deasy would have been returned if running. Trouble for FG is that he did them some damage on the way out and they underestimated how big that would be.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm secretly very happy with all this, ffg were not listening or reacting to people's anger, fears and frustrations, but continued with incredible arrogance, they needed this wake up call, and I believe they will take it on board, and come back strong. This is a major change, there will be problems, some will be serious, but I wish all those newly elected tds the best, as I'd say it's a difficult job. A new government still needs to be formed anyway, so its early days in this process

FG were touting and spouting off about Brexit in the run up to Saturday. The post election opinion polls showed that 1% of ppl thought it was a relevant issue! Shows how out of touch FG was. Ex Housing Minister Herr Eoghan would be humbled if he actually took a walk down and of the main streets of any of our cities. Then again he probably wouldn't! That self centered sense of entitlement is a permanent feature for his kind. For me reading a story a few weeks back about ban 81yr old woman sleeping rough on O'Connell Street in Dublin sickened me to the core. How can such a thing happen? Homelessness is not a new issue. It steadily increased over the lifetime of the previous regime. No solutions. No ideas. No changes. Shame on them all.

Like a lot of people I'm pretty surprised by the outcome and what happens next is really unclear.

FF have been very clear that they wouldn't form a Government with SF, but you can see some of their TDs are already bending on that stance. Which is predictably FF. If that happens Micheál Martin has to go, he might have to resign anyway based upon their overall performance.

FF could end up forming a minority administration, with supply and confidence agreement with FG. Watch that space.

FF and FG could hand the keys over to Mary Lou and say best of luck lads. The Irish electorate, particularly the millennial and Gen Y crew, have proven to themselves to be pretty unforgiving, so that could be the making or the breaking of SF.

The transfers in Waterford were really interesting. Geoghegan didn't get as much of a bounce from Pratt as I thought - Butler got quite a number of his. Dunphy's vote stayed in Tramore for O'Cathasaigh, and Geoghegan's vote didn't push Cummins over the line - a lot of it went to Butler.

Waterford City and environs takes back power and has three TDs. Mary Butler has nailed her colours to the mast and will be putting her energy into Dungarvan and the rural vote. Tramore now has an MEP and a TD - I think that town is going to have a bigger say in elections from here on in.

FG were touting and spouting off about Brexit in the run up to Saturday. The post election opinion polls showed that 1% of ppl thought it was a relevant issue! Shows how out of touch FG was. Ex Housing Minister Herr Eoghan would be humbled if he actually took a walk down and of the main streets of any of our cities. Then again he probably wouldn't! That self centered sense of entitlement is a permanent feature for his kind. For me reading a story a few weeks back about ban 81yr old woman sleeping rough on O'Connell Street in Dublin sickened me to the core. How can such a thing happen? Homelessness is not a new issue. It steadily increased over the lifetime of the previous regime. No solutions. No ideas. No changes. Shame on them all.

I also think that FG were possibly victims of their own success with Brexit. They, and the Civil Service, did an outstanding job there to be fair. Completely outmaneuvered the British. I think people think that's done now and there's nothing to worry about - but the worst is definitely to come later this year during trade negotiations which may lead to the UK crashing out.

If SF get into Government they should get the Department of Housing and the Department of Health. They'll see fairly quickly how difficult those two issues are to deal with.

That 81 year old woman wasn't 81, she was 67 and she wasn't homeless either strictly speaking (was in hospital but got discharged before accomodation was available - which is obviously a disgrace in itself!) but the fact it gained traction as it did was indicative of what people though of FG(FF) government.
    Waterford City and environs takes back power and has three TDs. Mary Butler has nailed her colours to the mast and will be putting her energy into Dungarvan and the rural vote. Tramore now has an MEP and a TD - I think that town is going to have a bigger say in elections from here on in.

I hate to sound regionalist but it would certainly be in most peoples interest in Waterford to keep the representation firmly east based.

Mary Butler looks increasingly like a 'throw back' when you look at the overall candidate list.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Like a lot of people I'm pretty surprised by the outcome and what happens next is really unclear.

FF have been very clear that they wouldn't form a Government with SF, but you can see some of their TDs are already bending on that stance. Which is predictably FF. If that happens Micheál Martin has to go, he might have to resign anyway based upon their overall performance.

FF could end up forming a minority administration, with supply and confidence agreement with FG. Watch that space.

FF and FG could hand the keys over to Mary Lou and say best of luck lads. The Irish electorate, particularly the millennial and Gen Y crew, have proven to themselves to be pretty unforgiving, so that could be the making or the breaking of SF.

The transfers in Waterford were really interesting. Geoghegan didn't get as much of a bounce from Pratt as I thought - Butler got quite a number of him. Dunphy's vote stayed in Tramore for O'Cathasaigh, and Geoghegan's vote didn't push Cummins over the line - a lot of it went to Butler.

A good analysis there! ðŸ‘
    I'm always surprised when you hear from sitting Minister's and Leader's on TV (esp. the big parties) - so removed from the ordinary Joe Soap. Locally everyone knew the issues that mattered. H+H. Health and Housing.

A good analysis there! ðŸ‘
    I'm always surprised when you hear from sitting Minister's and Leader's on TV (esp. the big parties) - so removed from the ordinary Joe Soap. Locally everyone knew the issues that mattered. H+H. Health and Housing.

Health has always been an issue. I don't think it's gotten any worse, but now that the economy has been performing well it's something that more attention has moved to.

Housing I think was always going to be a tough nut to crack. It was obvious that a country that needs 30k houses a year was going to eventually run out of houses following 5-6 years of no building. The difficulty was getting the construction sector moving again after the industry was wiped out, and it's currently at capacity and suffering from skills shortages, so only time will sort that one out in my opinion.

SF should get Housing and Health now and we can evaluate their performance at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

A great day for the parish.

hardybuck wrote: »

SF should get Housing and Health now and we can evaluate their performance at the next election.

I'd prefer they got education and the university issue was dealt with in our favour.

• Advertisement

I'd prefer they got education and the university issue was dealt with in our favour.

I think they would be given Education in a scenario where they are in Government. In that scenario it would be interesting to see if they're above pulling strokes.

Advertisement