Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

FG now have a lot to reflect on. They were really out of touch with Waterford. Not only do they now have no representation in Waterford East, but they don't have single TD here now. I think they focused their campaign too much on Brexit and the economy but not as much determination on Housing and Health. They seemed they wanted tax cuts and to be tough on crime more than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭anplaya27

debok wrote: »
    I don't think Cummins comes across well. If someone disagrees with him he can't handle it. Even yesterday when votes were cast while being interviewed by Liz Reddy on wlrs excellent coverage he just appeared argumentative. I'd say he can't accept he's every wrong on anything. He should become a little humbler like most in fine Gael. I wonder would paudie Coffey have got elected or was it just a vote against fine Gael. I'm happy with our reps but have feeling there will be another election anywho

Sure fellas detached from reality. I questioned him on the affordable housing and he tried to tell me , a fella from town, that the carrickpherish road where they were going to be built was a great location and full of amenities.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Butler, and even worse Shanahan taking seats is a big disappointment but happy with the other two.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I'd prefer they got education and the university issue was dealt with in our favour.

An University would be nice BUT the hospital should be the priority. Lives matter. A clean, well equipped and fully functional facility is a must. If SF is going to be a part of a new government then David Cullinane deserves a Ministry. A poll topper by a country mile. Double the quota in Waterford. You could see his surplus from space! At the count the fake smile must have fallen from Gormless Cummins to be replaced by a sullen puss pretty quickly 🀣.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A university is not nice - it's vital. Millions are euro are spent in one and by the students who attend one, it keeps talent in the region it attracts private enterprise and its money to the City. There is no downside to a university (other than housing pressure!)

John Cummins is what he is - entitled! Son of a politician, elected to the council when still in nappies, Mayor when still in nappies. Struggle is not something he is familiar with at any level, so humility is not natural.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

FG now have a lot to reflect on. They were really out of touch with Waterford. Not only do they now have no representation in Waterford East, but they don't have single TD here now. I think they focused their campaign too much on Brexit and the economy but not as much determination on Housing and Health. They seemed they wanted tax cuts and to be tough on crime more than anything else

It didn't exactly happen overnight either. Two TDs became one. Very few local Councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Well it seems like most people have come to the realisation that a vote for the Greens is a waste of a vote and would have meant a serious rise in taxes.

Green policies will be dealt with by the main parties in a reasonable fashion without the madness.

Is that right?

On that topic - another Green elected, in Carlow/Kilkenny.

On that topic - another Green elected, in Carlow/Kilkenny.

Not quite, JP Phelan and Murnane-O'Connor have been elected, and their surpluses might save Bobby Alyward, who is 700 odd behind the Green candidate.

JP Phelan is geographically close to Aylward and Murnane-O'Connor is from the same party as him, so it might be enough to see him squeeze through.

Either way it's an unreal performance from the Green in that constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

dzilla wrote: »
    I have to commend WLR yesterday for their coverage. Between Damien Tiernan and Liz Reddys social media accounts and WLRs pages with the youtube stream the news from the count center was immediate and plentiful.

**edit all elected candidates on wlr atm**

I was going to post the same myself,wlr gets a bad rep on here for whatever reason but they were on the ball yesterday and covered this election from start to finish and should be commended for it,they were on air also up to 4am with John o Shea in the studio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Not quite, JP Phelan and Murnane-O'Connor have been elected, and their surpluses might save Bobby Alyward, who is 700 odd behind the Green candidate.

JP Phelan is geographically close to Aylward and Murnane-O'Connor is from the same party as him, so it might be enough to see him squeeze through.

Either way it's an unreal performance from the Green in that constituency.
    The Green got there in the end. Aylward gone.

Wicklow look like retuning a Green as well (Limerick have), so the notion that they are essentially the party of south Dublin's wealth belt is being cast aside for now anyway. They also picked up a seat in Dublin Central which is basically working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

JohnC. wrote: »
    The Green got there in the end. Aylward gone.
    Music to my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Wicklow look like retuning a Green as well (Limerick have), so the notion that they are essentially the party of south Dublin's wealth belt is being cast aside for now anyway. They also picked up a seat in Dublin Central which is basically working class.

i think most people want to see dramatic changes on an environmental level, but i think the greens need something in their ranks to make their ideas a bit more realistic, some of their ideas are just off the walls

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

I hate Muesli

I hate Muesli

wait till you taste it with no milk!

Dry Muesli is considered a weapon of mass destruction by the UN!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Dry Muesli is considered a weapon of mass destruction by the UN!

Gemma?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    i think most people want to see dramatic changes on an environmental level, but i think the greens need something in their ranks to make their ideas a bit more realistic, some of their ideas are just off the walls

Any examples you would like to share with the class?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

An University would be nice BUT the hospital should be the priority. Lives matter. A clean, well equipped and fully functional facility is a must. If SF is going to be a part of a new government then David Cullinane deserves a Ministry. A poll topper by a country mile. Double the quota in Waterford. You could see his surplus from space! At the count the fake smile must have fallen from Gormless Cummins to be replaced by a sullen puss pretty quickly ��.

The hospital is a priority shouldn't have to wait years for a scan and then have important operations canceled all the time.

• Advertisement

spookwoman wrote: »
    The hospital is a priority shouldn't have to wait years for a scan and then have important operations canceled all the time.

This is a multifaceted issue that will be addressed on a cross party basis via Slaintecare over a number of years. No Government will be able to fix it in the short term.

In the meantime obtaining health insurance is the best way to avoid what you've described.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

hardybuck wrote: »
    This is a multifaceted issue that will be addressed on a cross party basis via Slaintecare over a number of years. No Government will be able to fix it in the short term.

In the meantime obtaining health insurance is the best way to avoid what you've described.

Starting hiring staff would be a start.
    That's fine if you can afford private healthcare, most people can't. Problem is long waiting lists means people end up in a+e because they cannot get treatment.

hardybuck wrote:

So public health insurance should be priority I guess?

spookwoman wrote: »
    Starting hiring staff would be a start.
    That's fine if you can afford private healthcare, most people can't. Problem is long waiting lists means people end up in a+e because they cannot get treatment.

We could go into a long debate as to whether most people can afford health insurance or not, we'd have to agree to disagree on that.

Hiring staff is the obvious solution. A bit like the solution of 'let's build more houses' to solve the housing crisis. Both issues would have been solved years ago if it was only that easy.

So public health insurance should be priority I guess?

I think Slaintecare basically aims for a universal single tier health service, funded by taxation. It'll cost billions more than we're currently pumping into the system.

hardybuck wrote:
    I think Slaintecare basically aims for a universal single tier health service, funded by taxation. It'll cost billions more than we're currently pumping into the system.

So private health insurance is best?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Exciting times ahead imo.
    I’m not all that sceptical about this.
    I actually hope it’s a Ff/SF Government just to see the policies that are put forward.
    As a part-time working OAP I can’t decide as yet whether I’ll gain or lose.
    I am eager to see who will be selected to Housing and Health. The last time I visited a hospital I waited 12 hours for my wife to be seen. That has to be fixed for sure.

So private health insurance is best?

That's the billion euro question I suppose. Slaintecare is probably worth a try at this stage.

From my basic understanding of it, at the moment public hospitals offer a limited amount of private beds. Hospitals assert that this raises revenue, and attracts some consultants that wouldn't otherwise be in that hospital.

This is why a new contract for consultants was announced before Christmas which offers them a very generous salary if they agree to only work in public hospitals.

I'm someone who'd have expensive private health insurance now because I have seen the difference between St Vincent's Private and Ardkeen. I'd be delighted if my taxation offered a decent public service you could trust in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

• Advertisement

I like David Cullinane but this is not a good look:

If they want to be taken serious as a political party, they really need to move on from this crap

Advertisement