Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    You can tell Mary Loo is not impressed in that clip.

SF claim to be the party who want a united Ireland but to also have unionists buy into it and comments like that don't help.

No real damage to him in Waterford.

It could mean damage to Waterford if he loses out on a cabinet position because of it. Waterford are sorely in need of representation at government level after years of neglect. It was a stupid move on his part.

At the same time, where's the media outrage over Mary Butler using Bill Kenneally's cousin to canvass for her? The outrage only seems to extend to SF where it comes to the national media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

You can tell Mary Loo is not impressed in that clip.

SF claim to be the party who want a united Ireland but to also have unionists buy into it and comments like that don't help.

No real damage to him in Waterford.

If he doesn't get a ministerial position he has only himself to blame. No real damage to him in Waterford but potentially alot of damage to Waterford if Sinn Fein are in power and he is not a minister.
    Also he would need to look at who he has surrounding him and how this got out. His campaign manager getting in a spat on Twitter with a local journalist the day before the election looked extremely childish.

Cullinane is one of the best politicians in the country. He isn't going anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

A bit more of the response

This story might get buried among all the other election news, journalists are tired and there's no opposition to fully utilize this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

It could mean damage to Waterford if he loses out on a cabinet position because of it. Waterford are sorely in need of representation at government level after years of neglect. It was a stupid move on his part.

At the same time, where's the media outrage over Mary Butler using Bill Kenneally's cousin to canvass for her? The outrage only seems to extend to SF where it comes to the national media.

If he gets a ministerial position it wont be a major one anyway and people think a minister will solve problems it will not and David will have delivered little if they form the next Goverment.

• Advertisement

A bit more of the response

This story might get buried among all the other election news, journalists are tired and there's no opposition to fully utilize this.

Blue Hugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

If he gets a ministerial position it wont be a major one anyway and people think a minister will solve problems it will not and David will have delivered little if they form the next Goverment.

It doesn't necessarily need to be a major one. Once he has a seat at the cabinet table he gets to vote on things. Ministers scratch each other's backs to push stuff through for their area. It's wrong.. but that's the way it has always worked for the other cities and I'm more than happy for Waterford to benefit from it because we'll get nothing otherwise.

No one believes a Ministerial wand will change everything overnight but can't make things any worse regarding non delivery.

No mention of Cullinanes "slip" on Rte 9 news. Hopefully it won't hinder things for him...and us!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Well I wouldn’t want someone like him at the cabinet table

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He'll probably have to go into purduh for a while, if SF are in power Cullinane will have to wait for the reshuffle and get a junior ministry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Cullinane is one of the best politicians in the country. He isn't going anywhere.

he is not very bright and he isnt considered Senior in SF outside of waterford.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Well I wouldn’t want someone like him at the cabinet table

Despite what he could potentially deliver as a full Minister. Talk about cutting of your nose to spite your face. It was a throwaway remark. Ministers in Waterford don't come around too often..I'd put up with it if it helped Watetford off its knees!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

dzilla wrote: »
    How damaging is this to him would ye say?

As SF go it is not bad, he hasnt waterboarded anyone or hid pedo like Adams.

he is not very bright and he isnt considered Senior in SF outside of waterford.

Obviously saying that wasn't very bright but overall I find him intelligent, rarely ruffled and quite sure of himself. He is on their front bench and is one of their main speakers so I'd say he is fairly senior.

Btw I have no party allegiance..just want the best political representation we can get for the city and region to try bring us up to a sustainable level in the hope my kids will be able to stay here when their older.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

There is a big Dublin bias in this. Dessie Ellis sang Get Out You Black and Tans when elected, which was shown around the world, and there has not been the focus on it by the Irish media. It’s not as bad when some Dub does it apparently. Did not vote SF myself and am not defending Cullinane. Just find these kind of things double standards by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

As SF go it is not bad, he hasnt waterboarded anyone or hid pedo like Adams.

Or remove cardiac care and cause people to die on the side of the road in ambulances

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Maybe Cullinane was getting concerned about talk of having a running mate in any re-run of the election and decided to reduce his vote and make Mary Lou think twice about that by coming out as the IRA supporting skanger that anyone with basic cognitive abilities (or who has accidentally had a pint in the craftsman) can see that he, Mary Lou and all of their Sinn Fein cohorts absolutely have to be.

Still though credit where its due. Consistent strategy on their part, executed beautifully. Cannot take that away from them FG/FF and the others should take note, there's a lot to be learned there (though I suspect they would be smart enough to y'know not whip the balaclava off metaphorically speaking the very same night), they'd probably leave it a week or two to show you their true faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Time for a new Top 10!
    The Waterford TD's top 10 best ways to fcuking up your chances od Ministerial office:
    1. Light up in the Dail bar after smoking ban (you know who),
    2. Back the wrong horse in your party leadership contest (Deasy -2nd bite), Coffey,
    3. Get caught on camera phone by your 'chucky' mates shouting "up the ra" just as the country is getting jittery at your party's impending entry to government,
    4. Whatever Eddie Collins did, can't remember,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Time for a new Top 10!
    The Waterford TD's top 10 best ways to fcuking up your chances od Ministerial office:
    2. Back the wrong horse in your party leadership contest (Deasy -2nd bite), Coffey,
    3. Get caught on camera phone by your 'chucky' mates shouting "up the ra" just as the country is getting jittery at your party's impending entry to government,

Eddie Collins must be number one. While in a junior Ministry position he got himself sacked by the Taoiseach after refusing to resign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

BBM77 wrote: »
    There is a big Dublin bias in this. Dessie Ellis sang Get Out You Black and Tans when elected, which was shown around the world, and there has not been the focus on it by the Irish media. It’s not as bad when some Dub does it apparently. Did not vote SF myself and am not defending Cullinane. Just find these kind of things double standards by the media.

Prime Time tonight mentioned the behaviour of both of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Kracken

He was Feckin eejit and he knows it, you can see that MLMcD wasn't impressed but at the same time, we should be refocusing on how are we going to get the cardiac care back.

I voted Green as my no. 1, so I want what is best for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

Anybody know of the huge sh!t storm that went down last night with Mary butler on her Facebook page.she has now deleted her page and the guards are involved,so she says.all do do with the kennealys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Anybody know of the huge sh!t storm that went down last night with Mary butler on her Facebook page.she has now deleted her page and the guards are involved,so she says.all do do with the kennealys

Well keneally is supposed to have knocked on a few doors for her, including the door of a close relative of someone that his cousin sexually abused (that brendan famously knew about and covered up...as is public record). This person put a post about it on Facebook and post election Mary Butler is supposed to have responded belatedly to this post with a smiley face from her own account. There were a few screenshots floating around, before Butler removed her reaction and later her account altogether.

I dont know why her account us gone.. maybe folks are telling her what they think about that or maybe shes going for a whole, "i was hacked" vibe.. despite this sounding like exactly the sort of thing her campaign would do.

If the screenshots i saw are true then that is 50% of our nominees showing us how stupid we were for electing them before the election count was even done. At this rate i expect the Green candidate to reveal he is opening up a fracking operation in the Comeraghs and Shanahan to put forward a proposal to sell the hospital and build premium appartments on the site before the end of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

People die in the hospital because it hasn't cardiac facilities but the Dublin media doesn't give a damn.

People die on trolleys in the hospital but the Dublin media doesn't give a damn.

Cullinane says "up the 'RA" and Dublin media has a hissy fit.

The Dublin media doesn't give a damn about people who died in the Troubles or Waterford. It is just another pearl-clutching exercise in virtue signalling from a bunch of hypocrites.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

His comments were indefensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭curmudgeonly

Time for a new Top 10!
    Sweet Fanny Adams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Tune in to DT for his coverage of DC, that'll tell us something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Well keneally is supposed to have knocked on a few doors for her, including the door of a close relative of someone that his cousin sexually abused (that brendan famously knew about and covered up...as is public record). This person put a post about it on Facebook and post election Mary Butler is supposed to have responded belatedly to this post with a smiley face from her own account. There were a few screenshots floating around, before Butler removed her reaction and later her account altogether.

I dont know why her account us gone.. maybe folks are telling her what they think about that or maybe shes going for a whole, "i was hacked" vibe.. despite this sounding like exactly the sort of thing her campaign would do.

If the screenshots i saw are true then that is 50% of our nominees showing us how stupid we were for electing them before the election count was even done. At this rate i expect the Green candidate to reveal he is opening up a fracking operation in the Comeraghs and Shanahan to put forward a proposal to sell the hospital and build premium appartments on the site before the end of the week.

if she did **** up on this its bigger than any comment Cullinane shouted with a few pints in him. she could be the first casualty in this dail term and going to the guards to defend herself might back firefire. facebook will be able to track what device the comment/reaction came from

• Registered Users Posts: 13 BlueFox90

jmcc wrote: »
    People die in the hospital because it hasn't cardiac facilities but the Dublin media doesn't give a damn.

People die on trolleys in the hospital but the Dublin media doesn't give a damn.

Cullinane says "up the 'RA" and Dublin media has a hissy fit.

The Dublin media doesn't give a damn about people who died in the Troubles or Waterford. It is just another pearl-clutching exercise in virtue signalling from a bunch of hypocrites.

Regards...jmcc

Nonsense. This has been the same straw man defense rolled out across social media for his comments. The trolley crisis & David's comments are mutually exclusive. Trolley crisis is abhorrent but some of the people who voted for him in Waterford however expected more from him and that has nothing to do with the Dublin media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

The Mary butler thing is a fake afaik. She issued a statement sayin it was a fake page. The copycat page didn't have the blue verified tick next to her activity so it wasn't her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

dzilla wrote: »
    The Mary butler thing is a fake afaik. She issued a statement sayin it was a fake page. The copycat page didn't have the blue verified tick next to her activity so it wasn't her
    Thought the blue tick was only on Twitter?

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement