Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Politics really is a funny old game. People wanted Eddie mulligan pulled from the ticket and ostracised forever. For not paying his taxes. Dessie Ellis is an actual murder and he tops the poll.

People have been looking for change but they don’t actually know what that entails. They vote for Sinn Fein but don’t want to acknowledge their connection with the murders of innocent people. That’s why their annoyed at cullinane saying “up the ra”, they want all that hidden. They know he’s an IRA supporter but they want him to pretend he’s not.

David Cullinane stayed that he would never distance himself from IRA activity. Think about that for a second. Let’s take the Omagh bombing as an example. If you asked David Cullinane to condemn that, or to distance himself from it, he wouldn’t. And he tops the polls in Waterford.
    Yep
    People want to pretend that this stuff doesn’t matter but surely it has to? Fianna F and Fine Gael became so arrogant that they forced the country to forget about terrorism, and vote for what was really the only other realistic option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

David may be still be in more hot water. The full text of his speech has been released

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

David may be still be in more hot water. The full text of his speech has been released

Link?

Nothing of any note in it. That Michael Doyle seems to be a piece of work though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

5/2 is a good bet I thought for another election in 2020.

The betting game is so far gone if you asked for €50 on that 2/1 Cullinane they'd have to ring head office who'd promptly laugh and say you can have a fiver. Shur they wont take €500 on an even money in a shop any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭IspeakcozIcan

Tbf to David, he came across very well last night with Matt Cooper and Ivan Yates.

Very calm and collected.

I am hoping this just blows over...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,397 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

vriesmays wrote: »

loves that paper, amazing journalism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

vriesmays wrote: »

Sure twas national news minutes after it happened that's outside Waterford quiet fella.

I don't think it adds anything to his embarrassment . Fact is if he left two letters R and A out of his spiel nothing would have been said about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

debok wrote: »
    I don't think it adds anything to his embarrassment . Fact is if he left two letters R and A out of his spiel nothing would have been said about.

I agree. People should read the speech transcript, which is reasonable in my view as a non SF supporter. The "We broke the Free State" quote is from Michael Doyle, SF election agent in Waterford and not from David Cullinane.

The people that are angry with the electorate for possibly putting sinn Fein in power ,are they actually hoping the country goes to ruin just to say I told you so? Like are they wishing the HSE gets worse, if that's possible, or houses don't get built etc. I don't get that kind of thinking in that there's a lot of people around the country wishing bad things happen to basically themselves.
    I couldn't give a damn whose in power but my wish when they start is that they succeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

azimuth17 wrote: »
    I agree. People should read the speech transcript, which is reasonable in my view as a non SF supporter. The "We broke the Free State" quote is from Michael Doyle, SF election agent in Waterford and not from David Cullinane.

Isn't that the lad who someone claimed looked like a provo on his election posters (to the consternation of the IRA branch of Waterford City Boards) last summer ? And can occasionally be seen performing IRA songs at the Craftsman on Facebook ?

C'mon folks. Seriously. Give these lads some credit, they don't hide what they are and they don't apologise. You knew what you were getting and you voted for it with your eyes wide open. People are going around saying "if I knew that my SF TD heart emoji's the IRA I wouldn't have voted for them" ... I mean give over will ya.

Now they walk to talk, or walk the plank. Interesting times ahead. If they do make a meaningful positive change to society more power to them. But they need to condemn the atrocities of the past, not glorify them before they will be fully accepted. Maybe when more of the main protagonists have been taken out by old age they will.

Now go get me that Cardiac care and university status lads and I'll open the front door to ye when ye come knocking on the next election campaign.

EDIT: Just read the full transcript. If he had had a fizzy lemonade or two less and had enough restraint to omit the up the ra business at the end it was actually a pretty damn good speech from both Michael Doyle and David Cullinane to be fair to the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

Mary Butler taking serious heat on Facebook, not sure what to make of it, alot of people really sticking the knife in! Deise Today will be interesting tomorrow if they deal with it!

Typical Waterford..we get 2 possible Ministers in waiting (Mary might get a Junior Minister for being loyal to Martin) and both go a feck it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He said something he shouldn't have said, he got carried away with the occasion and had maybe one or two more in him, Michael certainly did, than he should have when giving speeches perhaps. I think it will blow over pretty quickly because of the events going on with the uncertainty of how the next government will be formed etc. This is a good thing, because in all fairness its hardly a hanging offence politically or in any other way.

Nothing wrong with his speech, carried away at the end swept up in the emotion of the occasion. Fine, it was stupid, undoubtedly. Draw and line and move on.

Did singing rebel songs cost John Delaney anything? Did Come Out Ye Black and Tans do Ellis any harm really? (dunno why I've read the name of that song written incorrectly multiple times in this thread actually :)) Cullinane is the best politician we have, is very highly thought of within SF and anybody thinking this will harm his chances of a ministerial role are codding themselves should the opportunity present itself. He would be behind arguably Doherty and O Broin but I would expect to see him in cabinet without a shadow of a doubt if it is a SF led government. He is still likely to have a cabinet position if they go in with FF. Gets a bit dicier if they go in with a broader coalition, i.e. FF/SF/G

As a Waterford man he has let himself down by taking the shine of his incredible election result, but lets not hang him out to dry for it. Its rhetoric, its not uncommon for politicians or anybody else to lose the run of themselves at times and everything is filmed these days. Draw the line, move on.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Pearse Doherty getting asked about Doyles comments now on Primetime. Expertly shifted it back to homelessness and hospitals.

Camera phones in the basket on the way in to the next SF rally lads and non-alcoholic beers only. I'd say Pearse is going to thump the head off the pair of ye for making him have to sit there and take it quietly from Miriam and the other plebs around the table.

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Pearse Doherty getting asked about Doyles comments now on Primetime. Expertly shifted it back to homelessness and hospitals.

Camera phones in the basket on the way in to the next SF rally lads and non-alcoholic beers only. I'd say Pearse is going to thump the head off the pair of ye for making him have to sit there and take it quietly from Miriam and the other plebs around the table.

Ya could see it in his eyes when he was standing behind cullinane yesterday.he was fair pissed off looking . Looked like he was thinking you clown we finally got somewhere and you have people talking about the past again instead of the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Teebor15 wrote: »
    Mary Butler taking serious heat on Facebook, not sure what to make of it, alot of people really sticking the knife in! Deise Today will be interesting tomorrow if they deal with it!

Typical Waterford..we get 2 possible Ministers in waiting (Mary might get a Junior Minister for being loyal to Martin) and both go a feck it up!

Seems she has created a huge mess for herself.
    Have yet to see anyone defend her makes you wonder can she survive this.
    Cullinane will be happy she created a diversion for her.

Cullinane left out of SF talks team.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cullinane left out of SF talks team.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/election-2020/cullinane-left-out-of-sf-talks-team-after-up-the-ra-remark-38949402.html

Any lingering hope of a senior minister spot gone for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

So much for being a strong voice for Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Teebor15 wrote: »

We will have to hope for a Green party aspect to a government maybe!

Michael Doyle’s twitter and Facebook seemingly gone

A sad day for Waterford City. Cullinane has let the people who voted for him down. The votes had nothing to do with the RA.

DLS_75 wrote: »
    Michael Doyle’s twitter and Facebook seemingly gone

Interesting- in case people will search back through his history trying to find some more dirt.

Interesting- in case people will search back through his history trying to find some more dirt.

Yeah, your man Eoghan Dalton from the times was probably already on the case

• Advertisement

Could be a move to stop him being contacted by journalists.

Advertisement