Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Muttley79

hardybuck wrote: »
    When you said 'don't read too much into it' and discredited the author of the article I was wondering what angle you were coming from.

My understanding, based upon the widespread coverage of this, is that she has made a number of of anti-Semitic tweets, including those which relate to WWII.

In addition she in tweets over a number of years called individuals horrible names, accused banks run by European royal families of funding European wars, alleged that Mossad interfered with the recent UK election to defeat Corbyn, accused the judiciary of being paedophiles...the list goes on and on.

What a lovely individual. This is the quality of people that were voted in - couldn't get in as a councillor in Kildare last year.

I agree there is a few head the balls in each political party in Ireland.they all have baggage,I suppose what my gripe is the constant media bias directed at one political party while the others are just as bad but seem to get away lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

My understanding, based upon the widespread coverage of this, is that she has made a number of of anti-Semitic tweets, including those which relate to WWII.
    With your understanding of the widespread coverage in the media, do you not think that there's a "Get Sinn Fein" campaign happening? After all, Charlie Flanagan's father is on the Dail record as praising the Germans for what they did to the Jews in 1943.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

jmcc wrote: »
    With your understanding of the widespread coverage in the media, do you not think that there's a "Get Sinn Fein" campaign happening? After all, Charlie Flanagan's father is on the Dail record as praising the Germans for what they did to the Jews in 1943.

Regards...jmcc

When you are winning there is scrutiny. Its part and parcel. I mean FG had no shortage of it last year. SF need to understand that when you are in government people will scrutinize.. be ready to face it, get ahead of the skeletons in the cupboard etc.. because this is a fact of life for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    When you are winning there is scrutiny. Its part and parcel. I mean FG had no shortage of it last year. SF need to understand that when you are in government people will scrutinize.. be ready to face it, get ahead of the skeletons in the cupboard etc.. because this is a fact of life for the next while.
    Yes but SF does seem to have disturbed the status quo and many of the political hacks expected the result of the election to be FF with the largest number of seats by a good margin followed by FG and then, in third place, SF with a much lower number of seats. The Irish media does seem to have a rather close relationship with the politicians. SF seems to have upended that cosy consensus.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

jmcc wrote: »

Regards...jmcc

A couple of weeks ago I mused that a number of the new SF newly elected TDs would be subject to analysis that they were never subject to before. It was a mad election and they probably grew too quickly.

SF have three people who are articulate and high caliber who are put forward for pretty much every interview. Around them are a large volume of new and/or inexperienced TDs, some of whom have pretty dubious backgrounds, and people who couldn't get elected as councillors a few months ago.

The 99% let the 1% down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

A couple of weeks ago I mused that a number of the new SF newly elected TDs would be subject to analysis that they were never subject to before. It was a mad election and they probably grew too quickly.

SF have three people who are articulate and high caliber who are put forward for pretty much every interview. Around them are a large volume of new and/or inexperienced TDs, some of whom have pretty dubious backgrounds, and people who couldn't get elected as councillors a few months ago.

The 99% let the 1% down.

Cullinane moved from the latter to the former with his career defining Mansion House speech

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

Cullinane moved from the latter to the former with his career defining Mansion House speech

Which is a pity. You can only lose your reputation once and he'll always be blighted by that stupid, insensitive comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Matt Shanahan abstains from all votes in the Dail.
    Is this a protest or what ?

Nypd wrote: »
    Matt Shanahan abstains from all votes in the Dail.
    Is this a protest or what ?

The votes yesterday all a bit of a farce.

Plenty of people abstained. He might be waiting for an approach, or might be waiting for the votes to have some meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Plenty of abstentions as nothing could be decided.

After Martins full blown attack on SF yesterday it really looks like Mary Lou McDonald is being maneuvered to the margins for a FF/FG (plus one) government. And there we are with not a single Fine Girl.

• Advertisement

If you are independent or part of small party I can see why you'd abstain, why vote for a leader when you have no idea what the shape of the government is going to look like or what sort of policies are going to be implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

did ye see who he aligned himself with in the technical group. His Vote No friends to repealing the 8th. This guy is going to be worse than Ciara Conway or Ollie Wilkinson

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭DLS_75

Who will he co-opt into his council seat? Mary Roche endorsed him, maybe she’ll look for her seat back again. Although probably doubtful because didn’t she get a golden handshake when she left? Around 60k?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Gardner wrote: »
    did ye see who he aligned himself with in the technical group. His Vote No friends to repealing the 8th. This guy is going to be worse than Ciara Conway or Ollie Wilkinson

What some of us were saying all along, yet Waterford voted in one useless 'straight talking' table banger: halligan, we saw that he achieved nothing and yet we vote in more of the same because he bangs tables and has 24/7 on his posters.

The Garda Commissioner has today agreed with his counterpart in the PSNI that both Sinn Fein and the IRA are run by a provisional army council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Max Powers wrote: »
    What some of us were saying all along, yet Waterford voted in one useless 'straight talking' table banger: halligan, we saw that he achieved nothing and yet we vote in more of the same because he bangs tables and has 24/7 on his posters.

Max, those of us who knew John Halligan from his council days thought he never had the smarts and were proven right. Landed in the square, with goalie AWOL,and could not score. Shanahan has been in the Dail one day, the cake ingredients are there and have not even been mixed and he's already useless? I would prefer to at least see what happens and if he is useless, fair enough, chuck him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Max, those of us who knew John Halligan from his council days thought he never had the smarts and were proven right. Landed in the square, with goalie AWOL,and could not score. Shanahan has been in the Dail one day, the cake ingredients are there and have not even been mixed and he's already useless? I would prefer to at least see what happens and if he is useless, fair enough, chuck him out.

All true. Thing is though, we didn't learn, we knew that any independent we voted would not be any part of government so why. It was clear I thought anyway that voting in td's that had a chance of forming a government would be best placed to achieve things (ff,fg, sf, green). it now looks like we would be better off with another ff/fg td (presuming thats where govt is going and we could only vote 1 sf and green) We also knew that there are independents out there in each of the big parties gene pools whom they would deal with if they need a reliable voter, shanahan aint in those gene pools, could be classed as an outsider, unreliable and therefore not on any party radar, invisible man basically.
    I would absolutely love if the situation and I turned out wrong and he manages to get some influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,938 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Did anyone see Michael Lehans tweet Shanahan has joined a "regional Group formed. It consists of: Cathal Berry TD, Sean Canney TD, Peter Fitzpatrick TD, Noel Grealish TD, Michael Lowry TD, Verona Murphy TD, Denis Naughten TD (convener),, Matt Shanahan TD and Peadar Toibin TD"
    Can't see any good coming from this lot.

Michael Lowry TD, Verona Murphy TD

In great compoany!

spookwoman wrote: »
    Did anyone see Michael Lehans tweet Shanahan has joined a "regional Group formed. It consists of: Cathal Berry TD, Sean Canney TD, Peter Fitzpatrick TD, Noel Grealish TD, Michael Lowry TD, Verona Murphy TD, Denis Naughten TD (convener),, Matt Shanahan TD and Peadar Toibin TD"
    Can't see any good coming from this lot.

Jaysus some beauties in that group.

• Advertisement

In great compoany!

Let's hope his just in that group to create a block group.i think a lot of independents have done it in the past as you need a group/party of at least 7/8 TDs to have speaking rights in the dail,otherwise you end up a sitting duck on the benches with no speaking time

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Muttley79 wrote: »
    Let's hope his just in that group to create a block group.i think a lot of independents have done it in the past as you need a group/party of at least 7/8 TDs to have speaking rights in the dail,otherwise you end up a sitting duck on the benches with no speaking time

I'm sorry that doesn't make it ok to hang out with the likes of Michael "secret payments and "tax issues" Lowry,

Muttley is correct though, politics is about the art of possible and strange bedfellows.

Cabaal wrote: »
    I'm sorry that doesn't make it ok to hang out with the likes of Michael "secret payments and "tax issues" Lowry,

I never said it’s ok,but if Matt shanahan is to have a voice he needs to make alliances with other people to form a group to get the privilege to speak in the dail.im sure Matt shanahan detests Michael Lowry but hey some things you just got to do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Muttley79 wrote: »
    I never said it’s ok,but if Matt shanahan is to have a voice he needs to make alliances with other people to form a group to get the privilege to speak in the dail.im sure Matt shanahan detests Michael Lowry but hey some things you just got to do

His job is to get 24/7. Integrity has no place in such affairs. That is the mandate he was elected on and the people who voted for him won't care which particular devil he had to get into bed with to make it happen. He will be aware at how public sentiment turned against Halligan for failing to do exactly that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    His job is to get 24/7. Integrity has no place in such affairs. That is the mandate he was elected on and the people who voted for him won't care which particular devil he had to get into bed with to make it happen. He will be aware at how public sentiment turned against Halligan for failing to do exactly that.

And he will suffer the exact same fate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Gael23 wrote: »
    And he will suffer the exact same fate

Unless of course the issue is addressed despite him. Planning permission was already granted before the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Unless of course the issue is addressed despite him. Planning permission was already granted before the election.

Yes it was and the service is soon going to be extended to 8am to 8pm 7 days a week pending recruitment of staff. He can’t claim credit for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Gardner wrote: »

Sadly Shanahan is prochoice actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Sadly Shanahan is prochoice actually.

He voted no in the referendum. Not all that prochoice as far as I can see.

Advertisement