Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Marc actually seems committed to his county. In the debates he usually came across as the best spoken and among the most level-headed of the candidates. Now the leader of the Green party is quite clearly a fruitcake, but I do think Marc will represent this city with distinction. He isn't a politician who decided to hijack a single issue for his own political career, nor would he would he be someone who would deny the Irish electoral the right to vote on a seriously pressing social issue.

Gavlor wrote:
    Very well said Marc

I know Marc, and I'd have to agree with most of what he says, and you for that matter, Ryan can be a very poor leader at times, some of the stuff he comes out with is just ridiculous, but I think the greens will always remain a fringe party in Ireland, so I don't think supporters of the main parties have much to be worrying about

• Registered Users Posts: 10,709 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I will admit I don't know a lot about him but given what Ryan has come out with I don't for a second expect Marc to have any impact never mind in Waterford but at all.

Perhaps if he joined a mainstream party...
    What did you want?

I agree mostly with 2, 6, 12 (without cyclists) but the rest is utter crap and I bet a lot of Green votes were lower preferences and those who voted hadn't a clue and won't agree with a lot of them.

FG and FF are in a difficult place as most of there voters will not agree with the Green demands yet its almost impossible to exclude the Greens out of Government formation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    I will admit I don't know a lot about him but given what Ryan has come out with I don't for a second expect Marc to have any impact never mind in Waterford but at all.

Perhaps if he joined a mainstream party...

I agree mostly with 2, 6, 12 (without cyclists) but the rest is utter crap and I bet a lot of Green votes were lower preferences and those who voted hadn't a clue and won't agree with a lot of them.

FG and FF are in a difficult place as most of there voters will not agree with the Green demands yet its almost impossible to exclude the Greens out of Government formation.

ffg are completely fine, they ll be grand in power, both well use to it, they ll run rings around their partners, including the greens

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

For those who have commented on O'Cathasaigh's apparent absence from the media, he's one of five TDs on the Green Party negotiating team taking part in the Government formation talks.

He's their party spokesman on employment affairs, and has been drafting their employment policies in response to Covid-19.

According to a feature in the Irish times, he's viewed in the party as being down to earth and pragmatic.

hardybuck wrote: »
    For those who have commented on O'Cathasaigh's apparent absence from the media, he's one of five TDs on the Green Party negotiating team taking part in the Government formation talks.

He's their party spokesman on employment affairs, and has been drafting their employment policies in response to Covid-19.

According to a feature in the Irish times, he's viewed in the party as being down to earth and pragmatic.

Since my comment a lot of local and regional TDs have come out of hiding...

• Advertisement

Since my comment a lot of local and regional TDs have come out of hiding...

If you're referring to Marc, here's a post from him from before your comment: https://www.greenparty.ie/a-message-from-marc-o-cathasaigh-td/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Gardner

yet his profession is a school teacher.

Gardner wrote: »
    yet his profession is a school teacher.

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

David Cullinane misses out as chair of the Covid 19 committee. Rejected by Shanahan and Butler

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭91wx763

David Cullinane misses out as chair of the Covid 19 committee. Rejected by Shanahan and Butler

And rejected by 10 others too. Mentioned elsewhere that "Up the Ra" was coming home to roost.

• Advertisement

Just like I would expect David to reject other local TDs if that was party line.

He is probably the only senior TD they had to put forward as well.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

91wx763 wrote: »
    And rejected by 10 others too. Mentioned elsewhere that "Up the Ra" was coming home to roost.

Nothing to do with that comment, he was rejected by 6 FF and 6 FG all following the party line, Matt was always going to vote for the independent candidates.

Internal FG poll predicts in Waterford is there was a second GE in 2020:
    SF 2 (+1)
    FG 1 (+1)
    FF 1 (no change)
    GP 0 (-1)
    IND 0 (-1)

Do SF have someone else to run and are they the type of person who will gain votes because of David or there own reputation?

https://twitter.com/fiachkelly/status/1267918431707435015

I could see FG doing much better nationally, largely at the expense of FF, but I couldn't see SF doing that much better after how the last few months have gone.

The Greens losing two thirds of their seats is also bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

SF got a bit high off their own supply tbh

I could see FG doing much better nationally, largely at the expense of FF, but I couldn't see SF doing that much better after how the last few months have gone.

The Greens losing two thirds of their seats is also bonkers.

Greens got a lot of SF voters in transfers, losing many seats would not be a surprise plus they are all for Carbon tax increases.

Greens got a lot of SF voters in transfers, losing many seats would not be a surprise plus they are all for Carbon tax increases.

Greens got transfers from every direction.

I think it'd be a straight shootout for the electorate who'd have to decide between the parties that can make a Government.

You're either be moving in the direction of FG, FF and whoever else they'll be able to work with, or going to SF and whoever they can work with.

SF haven't really been able to get anyone to show much interest in working with them, but that could change if the left got a bigger mandate.

Be great to see Shanahan and the Greens gone. Nothing seats for Waterford.
    Second SF seat is there for the taking. Only Cllr upto it is McGuinness in the West. The City and the environs candidates are well past there sell buy date and basically dinosaurs. They would still be better than Shanahan currently is.

Second SF seat is there for the taking. Only Cllr upto it is McGuinness in the West. The City and the environs candidates are well past there sell buy date and basically dinosaurs. They would still be better than Shanahan currently is.

I think in the last election anyone SF could stick on the ballot nearly got in. Some appalling candidates got over the line.

The electorate might vote in the same way as a form of protest or to influence change, or they might feel like they made their point and revert back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Marc is on the Greens core team working on the program for government. Nothing seat?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Stopitwillya

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    Marc is on the Greens core team working on the program for government. Nothing seat?

Don't mind him, he has a chip on his shoulder over his buddy halligan.
    In fairness to Shanahan and Casey so far they have achieved the same as halligan achieved, nothing.
    Now is the time as the new government is being formed is the time to deliver. If they are not part of govt then expect them not to be returned next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

In fairness to Shanahan and Casey so far they have achieved the same as halligan achieved, nothing.
    Now is the time as the new government is being formed is the time to deliver. If they are not part of govt then expect them not to be returned next time.

I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis, but why anglicise his name?

sure that means **** all boy!

that auld beauty. Halligan achieved **** all :D. take off the blinkers son!

sure that means **** all boy!

But you feel that he and Shanahan have nothing seats. One is negotiating a programme for government, and the other was consulted on the proposals yesterday as he might be asked to support the coalition.

If you think that these are nothing seats, what does that say for the SF seat that's not going to be involved, or the FF seat that'll have a great view from the back benches?

that auld beauty. Halligan achieved **** all :D. take off the blinkers son!

Please list what he achieved for Waterford for us then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Please list what he achieved for Waterford for us then.

First Waterford TD to have a feature in Hot Press Magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

I don't necessarily disagree with your analysis, but why anglicise his name?
    His parents are called Casey, according to the TD himself, so I'd guess that he gaelicised his own surname due to working a Gael Scoil. Casey is prob on his birth cert, and maybe the poster knew (of) him/his family from an earlier time.

wagtail99 wrote: »
    His parents are called Casey, according to the TD himself, so I'd guess that he gaelicised his own surname due to working a Gael Scoil. Casey is prob on his birth cert, and maybe the poster knew (of) him/his family from an earlier time.

Your spot on. I actually played with the Waterford under 14b hurling team in the Sonny walsh tournament in 1991 and the same Mark Casey was on that team. I hope he turns out to be a better politician than he was a hurler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Your spot on. I actually played with the Waterford under 14b hurling team in the Sonny walsh tournament in 1991 and the same Mark Casey was on that team. I hope he turns out to be a better politician than he was a hurler.
    ... and I hope you're better at hurling than spelling ;-)

Advertisement