Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2020 - See MOD note in First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Could you provide any source for this info?

I never once said it should be accounted for that way, just trying to get some information before I make any argument on it that it might be relevant to.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/corporate/information-about-revenue/statistics/receipts/receipts-county.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭spaceCreated

Nice one, any source for the expenditure?

That's something another poster brought to the table. I think some lecturers in WIT produce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭Imreoir2

Well, we have a Government, hopefully Waterford gets a minister/junior ministers in the new administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Imreoir2 wrote:
    Well, we have a Government, hopefully Waterford gets a minister/junior ministers in the new administration.

It's very unlikely although Mary Butler would make a great minister for Cork or Kilkenny

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭decies

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    It's very unlikely although Mary Butler would make a great minister for Cork or Kilkenny

MOC should get a junior minister

decies wrote: »

I would expect so, maybe even the Super Junior position.

decies wrote:

True ,he could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

We have a rising political star in the county and he's a Green, (I just wish he had a nice easy name to spell, not Marc Ó Cathasaigh!)

I'd be quietly hopeful of him sneaking a junior Dept of State gig if not now then when the first reshuffle comes around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

We have a rising political star in the county and he's a Green, (I just wish he had a nice easy name to spell, not Marc Ó Cathasaigh!)

I'd be quietly hopeful of him sneaking a junior Dept of State gig if not now then when the first reshuffle comes around.

Lets see if he does anything first.

The competition is weak. It won't be hard to shine.

• Advertisement

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    I would expect so, maybe even the Super Junior position.

Neasa Hourigan will get that.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Neasa Hourigan will get that.

She is the Green Party Whip and effectiivly not in the running, its not impossible, but not likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,112 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

If Mary Butler gets any responsibility it’s a sad day for Waterford

And the 24/7 candidate votes for the programme for government despite no mention of 24/7 in the programme for government.

Tiger Roll wrote: »
    And the 24/7 candidate votes for the programme for government despite no mention of 24/7 in the programme for government.

He will lose his seat for that

Gael23 wrote: »

Tbf he probably got quite a large fine gael vote and voted for a fine gael government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

He will lose his seat because he is a table banging waste of a TD, always was going to be, yet at this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if Waterford voted in another table banger that no one is going to do business with....useless. learned nothing from halligan

Tbf he probably got quite a large fine gael vote and voted for a fine gael government.

He voted for Micheal Martin as Taoiseach.

He voted for Micheal Martin as Taoiseach.

Sorry I'll be more explicit in future about what I mean. He voted for a Government of which Fine Gael is a major part, and all Fine Gael TDs voted for and are part of, which also has several ministers part of Government, in which Varadkar will be Taoiseach in 2 years time.

I'm of the opinion that as most of his supporters are normally Fine Gael voters they would be happy with this outcome and he may not lose many votes at all.

Sorry I'll be more explicit in future about what I mean. He voted for a Government of which Fine Gael is a major part, and all Fine Gael TDs voted for and are part of, which also has several ministers part of Government, in which Varadkar will be Taoiseach in 2 years time.

I'm of the opinion that as most of his supporters are normally Fine Gael voters they would be happy with this outcome and he may not lose many votes at all.

Sorry by FG Government I thought you might be referring to the current Government where FF as the largest party have the Taoiseach, the most Cabinet Ministers, the Chief Whip and their pick of Attorney General.

Re Shanahan, I'm not sure who these normally FG voters are. There mustn't be many of them as there hasn't been a FG TD in the city since the Taoiseach sacked Eddie Collins in the mid 80s.

On the Council there's 17 councillors in the city wards and only 2 of them are FG - zero in Shanahan's ward.

• Advertisement

Imreoir2 wrote: »
    She is the Green Party Whip and effectiivly not in the running, its not impossible, but not likely.

Ryan has been very ruthless bringing Pippa Hackett in. Blatantly backing his own person, in from the Seanad no less, and punishing Hourigan's disloyalty.

O'Cathasaigh didn't appear to be on the maybe list listening to the media commentators. Perhaps he's a bit too media shy.

If Mary doesn’t deliver 24/7 cardiac care she’s toast

Can you expand upon why?

From what I've seen she banged the table about it before going into Government and now realises that it won't be happening, and is focusing on the second Cath Lab and an expansion of services.

I can see her getting back in unless a stronger FF candidate comes along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford will probably return no FG and no FF candidates when the next GE comes around for the first time since the 6th dial in June 1927.

Feel free to quote this in a few years and see if I was right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Is there not 3 other TDs? What's the point in electing Cullinane when all he's going to do is shout up the Ra.

Sorry by FG Government I thought you might be referring to the current Government where FF as the largest party have the Taoiseach, the most Cabinet Ministers, the Chief Whip and their pick of Attorney General.

You sure did read a lot in to tongue in cheek comments, all of it wrong and ignoring the context but they say people read what they want in to something, it seems like you're being being obutse or looking for an argument at best...

Wait, how many cabinet ministers have fiana fail and how many have fine gael?
    Re Shanahan, I'm not sure who these normally FG voters are. There mustn't be many of them as there hasn't been a FG TD in the city since the Taoiseach sacked Eddie Collins in the mid 80s.

On the Council there's 17 councillors in the city wards and only 2 of them are FG - zero in Shanahan's ward.

Weird you think there wouldn't have been a strong fiana gael vote in Waterford going back a few elections:
    2004: Waterford no.2: first preference for fg: 23.7%
    2009: Waterford city East: fp for fg: 27%
    2014: Waterford City East: fp for fg: 23.4%

Now in 2019, fg only got roughly 10% of the first preference but Shanahan picked up 20%. in my mind thats a strong correlation. He also seems to have got a strong transfer from Fine Gael voters in the general election.

If you want to look at Waterford City in general I think the lowest % of first preference that fg got in any of those elections was 15% but generally speaking fg get 20+ %. If you just do a quick search for each years results you'll be able to see this for yourself, I'm not gonna do a deep dive on this as its pretty fkin boring.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Is there not 3 other TDs? What's the point in electing Cullinane when all he's going to do is shout up the Ra.

Herself and Shanahan are the only ones that Committed to it

• Advertisement

Interesting to see a TD react so acerbicly.

A very defensive and childish reaction from him. Obviously there were some very over the top abusive posts to him which have no place either . On a simplistic level he was elected on a 24/7 mandate. Its clearly not referenced in the programme for government. Stephen Donnelly has already been using the 2nd cath lab speak . So people are quite rightly questioning his support for the incoming government and their programme , which does not include his elected mandate . Now if he knows something or has been promised something for his support then he needs to inform people of that. I suspect he will most likely join a party in the near future.

Advertisement