Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving license expired

• 13-01-2020 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Pensioner driving on a expired provisional licence, what's the consequences of getting stopped at a check point, definitely not covered by insurance?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Dig all wrote: »
    Pensioner driving on a expired provisional licence, what's the consequences of getting stopped at a check point, definitely not covered by insurance?

Car impounded.
    Summons for no licence and no insurance.
    Summons for owner of car also.

(edit: seriously just stop doing it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Why would you think being a pensioner was relevantl?
    Also not driving on an expired provisional it’s driving without a license

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

salmocab wrote: »
    Why would you think being a pensioner was relevantl?
    Also not driving on an expired provisional it’s driving without a license

Being an old age pensioner could impact on how the Garda would propose to deal with matter. From experience it would also tend to impact on how the courts would look upon it.

The principle offence here is driving unaccompanied. (and I’m presuming this to have been the case)

The above would not automatically invalidate a motor insurance policy - Although there may be a breech of terms which could give rise to issues between the driver and his insurer, particularly if there were to have been a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Boxcar_Willie

Lenar3556 wrote: »
    Being an old age pensioner could impact on how the Garda would propose to deal with matter. From experience it would also tend to impact on how the courts would look upon it.

The principle offence here is driving unaccompanied. (and I’m presuming this to have been the case)

The above would not automatically invalidate a motor insurance policy - Although there may be a breech of terms which could give rise to issues between the driver and his insurer, particularly if there were to have been a claim.

Not insured

Bottom line on certificate of insurance reads :
    "Provided the driver holds a licence to drive such a vehicle , and having held a licence is not disqualified from driving"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

An expired driving licence does not invalidate your insurance. You will have 3rd party cover at least.
    That disclaimer covers someone who never had a valid licence or has been disqualified.
    Of course driving without a licence is an offence.

• Advertisement

OP states that the driver is "definitely not covered by insurance".

elperello wrote: »

The question mark would indicate a question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

elperello wrote: »

I think the OP is asking if that is the case rather than stating it to be. Can be read both ways though.

Another point is that it will depend on how long the licence is expired. A week, not too bad. Ten years, not too good...

tuxy wrote: »
    The question mark would indicate a question.

You could be right.

I took it that the question was what are the consequences of getting stopped with an expired licence and no insurance

"Pensioner driving on a expired provisional licence, what's the consequences of getting stopped at a check point, definitely not covered by insurance?"

OP might care to clarify.

One answer is he will be covered 3rd party even with an expired licence once the policy was taken out legally.
    He can not be prosecuted for no insurance if he has 3rd party cover.
    He can be prosecuted for driving with an expired licence, no points and a small fine.

If no insurance policy at all then it is more serious, 5 points and a court fine of a few hundred euro on first offence I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

An expired driving licence does not invalidate your insurance. You will have 3rd party cover at least.
    That disclaimer covers someone who never had a valid licence or has been disqualified.
    Of course driving without a licence is an offence.

They don't have an expired licence though. They have an expired learners permit, I hope it's not an expired provisional!, and that requires you to be accompanied for the insurance to be valid, if it is in date. Any 3rd party will be covered in an RTC, with the insurance companies recouping the cost from uninsured driver, but get stopped by the Gardai its no insurance so 5 points and the car lifted.

But everyone is missing the important bit. If they never passed our relatively easy driving test how bad a driver are they.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They don't have an expired licence though. They have an expired learners permit, I hope it's not an expired provisional!, and that requires you to be accompanied for the insurance to be valid, if it is in date. Any 3rd party will be covered in an RTC, with the insurance companies recouping the cost from uninsured driver, but get stopped by the Gardai its no insurance so 5 points and the car lifted.

I don't believe that is correct. Unaccompanied driver on a learners permit is 2 points and 4 if you fail an appeal in court.

You can not be prosecuted for no insurance once you are covered 3rd party.

I've had friends stopped unaccompanied and they have all just taken the 2 points, learnt from it and moved on.

If a learner was in an accident unaccompanied their insurance would pay out for the 3rd party if their policy holder had any blame and then possibly cancel the policy.
    The driver would always have to answer yes when asked if they had ever had a policy cancelled. It could take then some time to get insurance again.

There is a story behind this which we may hear later.

In the meantime it is giving me flashbacks.
    Some years back I was driving along minding my own business when going around a bend I was taken out by a pensioner who crossed over to my side of the road.
    Two cars written off, pensioner taken away in ambulance full recovery later, me ok.
    When the court case came up it transpired that the old guy never had a licence but used his nephews (same name) licence to take out an insurance policy.
    Needless to say the whole episode cost him a lot including never driving again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If you’ve only ever held a permit or a provisional then you have never held a licence. Any insurance cover would be invalid. Company would pay out third party and come after you for all the costs. Other than that charges for no license, no insurance, etc. Pensioners or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Being a pensioner can actually get someone leeway on this, even nowadays. My grandfather went to a number of different GPs to pass his medical for his licence despite having quite advanced Parkinsons, and then promptly had a daydream while driving and crashed his car into a wall. Garda agreed not to do anything about it if he agreed to give up the licence and the insurance paid for the wall.

Although Gardai are more inclined to prosecute these days, I'd say that if the pensioner appears at all elderly and frail and it's a more rural setting, then an agreement with the Gardai to abandon the licence and sell the car might be enough to avoid court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

You can not be prosecuted for no insurance once you are covered 3rd party.

Yes you can, but it very much depends on the wording of the contract of insurance, as noted the hold or held condition is usually enough though.

Driving unaccompanied with a learner permit also creates a unique situation that when driving unaccompanied (or even without L plates) renders the licence "void", however it will not automatically invalidate an insurance policy, as I said that will depend on the wording of the contract of insurance.

If you’ve only ever held a permit or a provisional then you have never held a licence. Any insurance cover would be invalid. Company would pay out third party and come after you for all the costs. Other than that charges for no license, no insurance, etc. Pensioners or not

Not true as you can legally take out an insurance policy while having only a permit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Then that would imply that every single BV provisional driver is not validly insured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Not true as you can legally take out an insurance policy while having only a permit

You can take out a policy but if you aren't driving according to the permit or licence then you have wasted your money. While 3rd parties in an RTC are covered if you are stopped by the Gardai when not complying with your permit/licence your insurance is void.

Del2005 wrote: »
    You can take out a policy but if you aren't driving according to the permit or licence then you have wasted your money. While 3rd parties in an RTC are covered if you are stopped by the Gardai when not complying with your permit/licence your insurance is void.

This is not true, yes you can be prosecuted for driving without a licence, but so long as you didn't breach any terms of the insurance contract you can't be prosecuted for driving without insurance when driving unaccompanied.

• Advertisement

Never said you couldn’t. But your insurance policy is based on you having a learners permit, not a license in that case.

Therefore the licence point exemption wouldn’t apply, or at least I wouldn’t want to be arguing that in front of a judge when the insurance company is seeking to recover from you...

Then that would imply that every single BV provisional driver is not validly insured.

No it wouldn’t. Permit holders insurance is based on them holding a learners permit, not a driving licence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

GM228 wrote: »
    Driving unaccompanied with a learner permit also creates a unique situation that when driving unaccompanied (or even without L plates) renders the licence "void".....

If that was the case, there would not be a separate offence of driving on a learner permit while unaccompanied. Because your (now void) learner permit would count for nothing i.e. you'd be in the same boat as someone who had no permit at all, expired or current.

coylemj wrote: »
    If that was the case, there would not be a separate offence of driving on a learner permit while unaccompanied. Because your (now void) learner permit would count for nothing i.e. you'd be in the same boat as someone who had no permit at all, expired or current.

It is the case as per S42 (2)(k) of the Road Traffic Act 1961.

The fact a permit may be rendered void has nothing to do with the offence of driving unaccompanied.

Advertisement