Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skylight in pitched roof that opens out to allow access to flat roof

• 13-01-2020 11:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Ive been looking online to see if anyone has done similar. I can see those skylights that open out and form a small balcony but has anyone seen one that can allow you access to a flat roof?

Something like a large top hung velux thats installed 10 inches off the attic floor should work but I haven't seen it done anywhere

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Straight forward detail.
    You obviously have a 2 storey flat roof yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

kceire wrote: »
    Straight forward detail.
    You obviously have a 2 storey flat roof yeah?

I do.
    Okay good to know. I just cant seem to find it done anywhere online

seannash wrote: »
    I do.
    Okay good to know. I just cant seem to find it done anywhere online

The fitting and detailing is standard.
    The reason you probably cant find it anywhere is that because at the level you'd need the roof light, to line up with the roof of the flat roof at second floor roof level would be so high, it would be inaccessible or in the attic/loft space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

kceire wrote: »
    The fitting and detailing is standard.
    The reason you probably cant find it anywhere is that because at the level you'd need the roof light, to line up with the roof of the flat roof at second floor roof level would be so high, it would be inaccessible or in the attic/loft space.

The level of my flat roof is the same level as the floor of my attic so I'm hoping it shouldn't be a problem. The attic is usable at the moment.

I guess I'm looking for something like this but without the balcony bit
    http://www.addaroomuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2.png

Anyway it all seems like its a reasonable request to make to a builder which is encouraging

seannash wrote: »
    The level of my flat roof is the same level as the floor of my attic so I'm hoping it shouldn't be a problem. The attic is usable at the moment.

I guess I'm looking for something like this but without the balcony bit
    http://www.addaroomuk.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2.png

Anyway it all seems like its a reasonable request to make to a builder which is encouraging

Agh right.
    Explains it a bit better.

Low level glazing so glass needs to be toughened as per TGD Part K but that shouldn't be an issue.

Should be able to get it low enough but it will still have a step over I imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭furandfeather

Highest velux you can get is 1800mm . Your pitch on your main roof will determine how far you have to keep the window up. The lower your pitch the bigger your step will be at the bottom

Advertisement