Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Buying in Tallaght

Options
  • 12-01-2020 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just looking for some opinions on two options. 1. Buy a 3 bed second hand house in Dublin for 200000 with an 80000 deposit. 2. Buy a new build in Wicklow for around 270000, with 80000 but also help to buy. I would be able to pay off the mortgage on the 200000 house within 4ish years. I'm mostly concerned with paying the house off, but want to like where I live too. I'm concerned with rentability too. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KilOit

Bought a 4 bed semi in south Dublin 2018, price I paid would have got me a detached house with land in wicklow, meath or kildare but location was priority number 1, commute to work and family is 10min drive 20min cycle, shops 2mins walk, local supermarket 2min drive, bus stop 2 min walk. Local schools in walking distance, kids sports clubs in the area, restaurants, pubs or cinema all within 5 min drive.
    My hell would be living in the middle of nowhere that everytime you leave the house you are getting into your car because you are down a dark country roads with no public transport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Whodanoob wrote: »
    Just looking for some opinions on two options. 1. Buy a 3 bed second hand house in Dublin for 200000 with an 80000 deposit. 2. Buy a new build in Wicklow for around 270000, with 80000 but also help to buy. I would be able to pay off the mortgage on the 200000 house within 4ish years. I'm mostly concerned with paying the house off, but want to like where I live too. I'm concerned with rentability too. Any advice appreciated.

3 bed in Dublin for 200k. Sounds like a steal!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Whodanoob

KilOit wrote: »
    Bought a 4 bed semi in south Dublin 2018, price I paid would have got me a detached house with land in wicklow, meath or kildare but location was priority number 1, commute to work and family is 10min drive 20min cycle, shops 2mins walk, local supermarket 2min drive, bus stop 2 min walk. Local schools in walking distance, kids sports clubs in the area, restaurants, pubs or cinema all within 5 min drive.
    My hell would be living in the middle of nowhere that everytime you leave the house you are getting into your car because you are down a dark country roads with no public transport

Cheers for the input. In terms of convenience, they would both be pretty much the same distance from work/family. But the house in Dublin would be better for town obviously. The house is in Tallaght.

It is in Tallaght. Could be a reason why it's such a bargain. I'm not familiar with Tallaght, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

200k paid off in four years

Yet that would only buy something in the likes of Darndale!?

None of this computes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've no doubt there are houses to be found for that price in Dublin. Unfortunately, if a house is that cheap, there's usually a strong reason for it being that cheap. Ie: neighbours/locals who will make your life a living hell.

Stark wrote: »
    I've no doubt there are houses to be found for that price in Dublin. Unfortunately, if a house is that cheap, there's usually a strong reason for it being that cheap. Ie: neighbours/locals who will make your life a living hell.

Yeah you're probably right. I knew that really, it sounds too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭19233974

Cheers for the input. In terms of convenience, they would both be pretty much the same distance from work/family. But the house in Dublin would be better for town obviously. The house is in Tallaght.

Where in tallaght? I know it well, and as alluded to, its 200k for a reason

19233974 wrote: »
    Where in tallaght? I know it well, and as alluded to, its 200k for a reason

It's on Russel Crescent. Have you any insight?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Google the phrase "with an address at" for any street or area you want to learn more about Whodanoob ;)

This would be one of your neighbours in Russell Cresent:

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/judge-lashes-student-over-stolen-laptops-27977432.html

If you broaden the search to Russell Square, you get plenty of hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22with+an+address+at%22+%22russell+square%22&rlz=1C1GCEU_en-GBGB820GB821&oq=%22with+an+address+at%22+%22russell+square%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.5503j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Google the phrase "with an address at" for any street or area you want to learn more about Whodanoob ;)

This would be one of your neighbours in Russell Cresent:

https://www.herald.ie/news/courts/judge-lashes-student-over-stolen-laptops-27977432.html

If you broaden the search to Russell Square, you get plenty of hits:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22with+an+address+at%22+%22russell+square%22&rlz=1C1GCEU_en-GBGB820GB821&oq=%22with+an+address+at%22+%22russell+square%22&aqs=chrome..69i57.5503j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

That's really helpful, thanks Sleepy.

Ps.
    Sorry if I've derailed the conversation a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭19233974

Im from tallaght and i wouldnt move there for 200k, like any other lower socio economic area it has a multitude of problems. But if its an investment, the rental return would still be very decent on 200k

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

As someone living in the Tallaght area, the entire Russell Square estate is one I avoid going near if I can help it.

To give the most high profile example, the Lidl about 2 minutes walk down the road was the one that was made famous by the local scrotes destroying it with a JCB during storm Emma. After being rebuilt, it was then broken into a couple of weeks before it reopened.

Blowfish wrote: »
    As someone living in the Tallaght area, the entire Russell Square estate is one I avoid going near if I can help it.

To give the most high profile example, the Lidl about 2 minutes walk down the road was the one that was made famous by the local scrotes destroying it with a JCB during storm Emma. After being rebuilt, it was then broken into a couple of weeks before it reopened.

Oh yeah, fair enough. That gives me a bit of an idea of why it might be so cheap. Thanks for the advice. I didn't realise it was so close to that Lidl. Cheers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Thread split from Property Market 2020.

Advertisement