Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

House with no driveway, on-street parking - what to do?

13»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The winding back of the VRT exemption doesn't appear to have significantly impacted sales, the market here still seems to be supply constrained so in my opinion the timing was fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

We'll never know, the Pandemic and current surge to move away from fossil fuels due to The Ukraine is masking things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Exactly. I got 1 Leaf from UK and the other was originally a UK car. The MIL's car was got in the UK and will be sold on in the not too distant future to someone needing little range. Same with the SILs 30kWh Leaf. No UK VRT on EVs was great.

The vast majority of EVs being sold and availing any the subsidies are not what I would call "luxury" cars. Some are, but most are just small EVs or family cars.

Stay Free

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'm saying re-target the grant to provide charging infrastructure and yous keep using examples of the VRT exemption which is notably not the grant.

If anything removing the purchase grant will increase the value of the cars you imported from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

My comment about luxury cars was in response to the suggestion that the €60k cap on purchase price for subsidies was too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Newoven

The Model 3 is a lot like an iPad - before I got one I thought they were probably unnecessary and overpriced. These days I never put the thing down. There is some extra nuisance in owning an EV and it might not suit many but I’m a low mileage driver generally and my longer journeys are mainly on the M1 and M8 which just happen to have Tesla superchargers. So no big deal if I have to stop for ten minutes for a quick top up.

The other advantages to a Model 3 and some other EVs off the top of my head;

• it’s quick, quiet, spacious. My previous Alfa Romeo Giulia diesel was slower, noisy, cramped in the back.
    • it’s pretty cheap to run. €120 road tax, half price tolls, 45kwh of electricity for Dublin to Cork cost me around €15 at supercharger prices. 15 litres of diesel would cost something like €28. Servicing costs are low.
    • the standard technology and kit is fantastic. Google maps, Spotify, Netflix, excellent cruise control and autosteer, configurable everything from seats to driver preferences, keyless entry with your phone, remote setting of the climate control, car locator, one pedal driving in traffic, blind spot cameras, built in dash cam with six cameras…..
    • it can improve through software updates without ever visiting a dealer.
    • It allows me to virtue signal my concern for the planet while still driving like a loon sometimes.

The one thing I’d change if I could is to make it look a bit better, and of course I’d never say no to a bit more range just in case. I say if you’ve never tried one get yourself a test drive. You might start to see what swayed me.

Fair enough. I'd tend to agree that cars coming in at that price point are in the lux range. However, while the owner of such cars might not need grants...if that is what swayed them to go EV over Diesel, then I think that's a good thing.

Stay Free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

No I didn't ignore this. Nice way to ask the question though. Perhaps next time it could be phased as something like 'how did you navigate this condition...'

Anyone who wants specifics or pics happy to oblige if you PM me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

In terms of new public AC chargers esb have stated they have no plans to install more public AC charge points. The councils in most areas have toyed with a few, but they are not getting realistic funding from government and they are broke themselves.

In terms of let the market decide, there is little to no commercial AC chargers going in, only those forced under planning rules, and all previous installs were subsidised. The only commercial viable seem to be DC chargers at key busy sites.

I see no real improvement coming any time soon compared to demand. In the months ahead I expect public chargers to get busier and busier, meaning those relying on public charging routinely should expect the queues to get worse. There is no overstay on public AC chargers so cars can stay for 12 or 24 hours assuming there is no parking rules restriction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Spotted this X5 at the weekend, in the next spot to the left. They had a cable coming out of the old coal chute at the edge of the footpath, covered with a cone. Good idea!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’d be a good idea to remove the tow bar when not in use too.. a pet hate of mine

Stops someone backing into you perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Dangerous for cyclists and pedestrians passing between cars.

extremely dangerous in a crash as it bypasses the safety design gone into the rear of the car.

also more likely to do damage to cars as it sticks out from the rear of the car, but out of sight of the driver so it just damages cars that park behind it

I know a guy who has the auto retracting one on his 3 series. He deploys it when parked to protect his car.

I know the feeling, as I live in a place where bad drivers routinely clip my car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It'll be the new "but shure I need a field for me horses boss"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,276 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

The grant above 60k encouraged people to buy electric instead of fossil fuel cars, they wont spend any less but they might make a slightly more environmentally positive choice. It also bolsters the used car market with EVs 3 years down the line when they will be 30-40k cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,271 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Every person who has purchased a new EV, or an EV that was first registered in Ireland has benefited from the SEAI grant.

not if they bought recently and it was over 60k...

• Advertisement

Good point, the cap was introduced July 1st 2021. PHEVs no longer get a grant as of the 1st Jan 2022.

Too much carrot, not enough stick. Was it really a good use of limited Government resources to subsidise €60k-€100k cars, that are already going to get reduced motor tax and free refuelling on the streets?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s great to hear nowadays as they wouldn’t cover it before.

Have you received the grant back yet?

Yes it was, if it meant that the purchaser of a 60-100k car chose an EV instead of a diesel which was the whole point of it. That purchaser has most likely paid a whole lot of income tax as well so i wouldnt begrudge them a small discount on their new car. And the vast majority of EV owners charge at home not on the streets.

You need to think beyond they have enough money already why should they get an incentive, we should be trying to incentivise EVs across the board, and todays new 60k car is tomorrows 4 year old 25k car.

We should go the other and further penalise high value diesel and petrol cars. If you can afford a €60k car, you can afford to pay for it yourself. It's not the role of the State to subsidise private cars further.

The tax incentive got more EVs on the road. Not everyone wanted a Zoe, or a Leaf. Better for you cycling behind an EV than a dirty diesel.

Stay Free

• Advertisement

We already penalise cars more than most countries with taxation. Incentivising an electric alternative was clever , taking it away not so much.

you are missing the point that the end user would have spent the same amount anyway the incentive might push them to an EV.

We really don't. We subsidise motoring in general, providing vast amounts of public space to car owners, mostly at no charge. We all share the extensive costs of regulating motorists, whether we drive or not. We all share the healthcare costs of the impacts of toxic pollution. And we all share the extensive climate impacts of private car motorists.

There's no way we should be subsidising private cars for high earners.

i disagree, if they are going to be driving anyway, it would be better if they purchased a new EV, we should encourage that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

High earners pay considerable taxes, we should not discriminate like suggested.

You too then are subsidised as a motorist as you have told us you are also a motorist. Each time you start the engine in your car, you pollute the air with toxic chemicals and particulates and cause illness, driving up healthcare costs. Unless of course you drive a battery electric vehicle? I haven't seen you claim to be an EV owner, so I assume it's Dino juice powering your engine.

EVs don't pump toxic fumes from a tailpipe. I'm alright with subsidising more EV purchases if it means more ICE vehicles are off the road.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

The Netherlands has had this problem for years, I'm living in the Ranstad and unless your house is worth over a million it's likely you are parking on the street here. The EVs just charge at a public charger at the end of the street or at work. My neighbours said it works for them as there are an abundance of chargers. Doesn't always work out and there are a few people that chance charging from the house across the footpath but not many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

How would this discrimination as you see it work in practice? I am genuinely interested to see your logic.

Yes, I'm an ICE owner and occasional driver. My next vehicle will undoubtedly be an EV, but the most environmental thing that I can do right now is minimise the environmental cost of disposal of my current vehicle and manufacture of my new vehicle. EVs don't emit toxic fumes from tailpipes, but they do emit toxic dust from their brake pads and toxic rubber particles from their tyres. EVs are not good for the environment, they are less bad in running than ICE, but still have a heavy environmental price in manufacture and disposal.

So we should do away with all kinds of means testing them - medical cards, fuel allowance, SUSI student supports? We wouldn't want to be discriminating against middle and high earners, right?

There's a difference between 'encouraging' and 'subsidising'. We're on the wrong side of that fence, subsidising expensive new cars for private use, while public transport and sustainable travel is crying out for more investment.

Most of the braking in an EV is done regeneratively and only a portion is done with the pads, usually at very low speeds. My 2012 Leaf just recently had front pads replaced. They were the original factory pads. My 2014 Leaf is still on original pass with plenty of wear left. Your bicycle tyres also spew out rubber particulates, so unless you want to walk barefoot, you'll need to accept that it's better to have an EV replace an ICE which is far more damaging to health and environment. I like the environmental credentials of EV, but I choose EV for other reasons.

However, if you're that concerned about pollution and particulates, then why drive at all. Public transport is available to you.

Stay Free

Like I said you are missing the point people will buy new cars anywhere better we divert that money to Evs

Advertisement