Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I wondered whether Connolly would lose her seat. But I think she was very impressive on Primetime last week. She is very present as opposed to Hilda or Kyne. She gets on TV a lot. I think she'll fly back in after the last week. Her record in the Dail is also hard to compete with.

I see new posters up today for Sean Kyne....the FG 2 seats are definitely on trouble. Hence Leo hanging around the city today.

I agree. It would be a terrible indictment of the Irish/Galway electorate if a TD as capable and hard working as Connolly did not get returned. I have no connection with her but I do find her very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

I agree. It would be a terrible indictment of the Irish/Galway electorate if a TD as capable and hard working as Connolly did not get returned. I have no connection with her but I do find her very impressive.

I also have no connection with her. Just think she's been impressive this last week. Talks a lot of sense. She made of fool of Regina Doherty on Primetime. Watching it I thought she did Galway proud. I'd be shocked if she doesn't retain she seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I also have no connection with her. Just think she's been impressive this last week. Talks a lot of sense. She made of fool of Regina Doherty on Primetime. Watching it I thought she did Galway proud. I'd be shocked if she doesn't retain she seat.
    Have you not been paying attention for the last twenty years? Very impressive as Cllr, then as TD. How we did not elect her to the Dail before is a mystery.
    She could have a well-paid career as a barrister, but chose to stand up on issues that affect ordinary citizens and is making a difference.

zell12 wrote: »
    Have you not been paying attention for the last twenty years? Very impressive as Cllr, then as TD. How we did not elect her to the Dail before is a mystery.
    She could have a well-paid career as a barrister, but chose to stand up on issues that affect ordinary citizens and is making a difference.

It's always harder to get elected as an independent. To be honest I hadn't heard of her until 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bonaparte2

No mystery. She should be a Labour Party TD for the last fifteen years approx.
    She got shafted .

• Advertisement

It's always harder to get elected as an independent. To be honest I hadn't heard of her until 5 years ago.
    :eek:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_Connolly#Political_career

bonaparte2 wrote: »
    No mystery. She should be a Labour Party TD for the last fifteen years approx.
    She got shafted .

Well she beat them to a seat in last election....so justice done. Labour haven't a hope of a seat this time around either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

crowe has fairly shortened in the betting, i know him personally a decent man but i wont be voting FF back in any time soon. in saying that he is in contention for the final seat.

anyone is free to make an opinion of him, my advice is watch how he conducts himself in the council chambers and how he treats GCC staff.....

let just say it isn't positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Pen Rua wrote: »
    So Hildegard not in trouble according to that? Nice to see Grealish so low.

• Advertisement

That's a very very odd poll result

is_that_so wrote: »
    So Hildegard not in trouble according to that?

She topped this poll so...

As noted earlier in this thread, the TG4 poll last time round off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,729 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Catherine at 9 and Hildegarde at 13... Hard to believe. Dail is full of Hildegarde's... Catherine's not so many

• Registered Users Posts: 23,638 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Be hilarious if Grealish looses his seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

She topped this poll so...

As noted earlier in this thread, the TG4 poll last time round off the mark.
    Not my constituency and just saw a comment about her being in trouble. Even if it's out she should be safe enough with that. What's interesting about these polls is less the headline than some of the mad stuff in the breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would be astonished if Naughton topped the poll. She got 7% last time, nearly doubling it now according to that poll, don’t see it. Whatever O’Mahony got should break more towards Kyne than Naughton too.

Would say could be repeat of last time around and two of those predictions wrong. Can see it being a cluster of people on similar totals for last few seats, was it 2011 count went of for few days? Same again wouldn’t shock me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

pjohnson wrote: »
    Be hilarious if Grealish looses his seat.

He was losing it the last time too according to this show and he nearly topped the poll !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Catherine at 9 and Hildegarde at 13... Hard to believe. Dail is full of Hildegarde's... Catherine's not so many

Catherine’s no problem with nepotism, claiming extragalactic expenses and attaching herself to other TDs work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Sample is very small: 525

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Would be astonished if Naughton topped the poll. She got 7% last time, nearly doubling it now according to that poll, don’t see it. Whatever O’Mahony got should break more towards Kyne than Naughton too.
    Would have thought the same.
    Your spot on a re-enactment of the 2011 count based on this poll. :eek:

Very strange result. One thing to note is Naughton is above Kyne....

It also contradicts the bookmaker odds.

It does.
    Eamon O Cuiv (Fianna Fail) 1/16

Noel Grealish (Ind) 1/6

Sean Kyne (Fine Gael) 1/4

Hildegrade Naughten (Fine Gael) 4/9

Catherine Connolly (Ind) 1/2

Ollie Crowe (Fianna Fail) 6/5

Pauline O Reilly (Green Party) 6/4

Mike Cubbard (Ind) 10/3

Niall O Tuathail (Social Democrats) 7/2

Mairéad Farrell (Sinn Fein) 6/1

Niall McNelis (Labour) 14/1

Daragh O Flaherty (Ind) 25/1

Joe Loughnane (PBP) 33/1

Conor Burke (Solidarity) 40/1

Cormac O Corcorán (Aontu) 50/1

screenshot: Paddy_Power_Odds_19_H_45_28_01_2020.png

As I’ve learnt from previous experience bookmakers get it right more then pundits and polls .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

is_that_so wrote: »
    So Hildegard not in trouble according to that? Nice to see Grealish so low.

I'd say they should swop Grealish' place with Naughton to be a bit more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I wondered whether Connolly would lose her seat. But I think she was very impressive on Primetime last week. She is very present as opposed to Hilda or Kyne. She gets on TV a lot. I think she'll fly back in after the last week. Her record in the Dail is also hard to compete with.

I see new posters up today for Sean Kyne....the FG 2 seats are definitely on trouble. Hence Leo hanging around the city today.

I thought Catherine was weak on Primetime

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Would you really admit to a pollster you were voting for Grealish?

Wombatman wrote: »
    Would you really admit to a pollster you were voting for Grealish?

Or ff it fg . Think it will be closer come the day

• Advertisement

Bullocks wrote: »
    I'd say they should swop Grealish' place with Naughton to be a bit more realistic

If she does good luck to her but I be amazed if hildegarde tops the poll.

Advertisement