Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 20 GalwayWest

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

The bookie odds have changed, influenced by that poll it seems...

501359.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That poll is daft. If that's anything near the final result I'll be amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

That tg4 poll is bull**** .
    525 people aged 18+ it's says .
    400 could be 18 / 19 / 20 which of course gives a totally different picture of the general election result will be .
    These polls are nonsense .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Paddy Odds have again moved with Connolly alongside Reilly at 5/6.

On 22nd Jan Paddy had it
    EOC 1/8
    NG 1/7
    SK 1/5
    CC 1/4
    HG 8/15
    OC 6/5
    POR 13/5
    MC 10/3
    MF 6/1
    NOT 8/1

Now it's
    EOC 1/10
    HG 1/4
    NG 4/9
    SK 4/7
    POR 5/6
    CC 5/6
    NOT 5/6
    OC 6/4
    MC4/1
    MF 7/1

Big positive moves from NOT and POR
    Looking good for HG and EOC

Not great news for NG ,CC ,SK, OC and MF.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Grealish will love that poll. Nobody will say a word about him till polling day and he’ll go around telling everyone he’s under serious pressure. His Healy Rae esque attendance record and his racism will be forgotten and he’ll have another five years in Dublin doing nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

ClanofLams wrote: »
    His Healy Rae esque attendance record and his racism will be forgotten and he’ll have another five years in Dublin doing nothing.

Au contraire, this will only boost his numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

he’ll have another five years in Dublin.

Correct. :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Au contraire, this will only boost his numbers.

Agreed it will help on his no1s. But he will need transfers to get a seat. I meant those putting 2,3, etc will forget about it. Looking at the last election I see he got around 450 transfers from Mike Cubbard, almost 20% of his votes. That will probably happen again even though there’s no reason anyone putting Cubbard 1 should put Grealish 2.

Anyone else get a flyer through the post this morning for Matt Carthy MEP about PESCO? Seems a bit like promoting SF during an election cycle while spending money from another budget to do so rather than promoting the SF candidate.

The flyer starts off with PESCO: No surprise if you've never heard of it- my question is if its so important why am I only being sent a flyer about it now rather than when it happened or during the EU elections last May? It seems like political point scoring rather than a genuine attempt to inform the electorate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Anyone else get a flyer through the post this morning for Matt Carthy MEP about PESCO? Seems a bit like promoting SF during an election cycle while spending money from another budget to do so rather than promoting the SF candidate.

The flyer starts off with PESCO: No surprise if you've never heard of it- my question is if its so important why am I only being sent a flyer about it now rather than when it happened or during the EU elections last May? It seems like political point scoring rather than a genuine attempt to inform the electorate

We got one of those ages ago, but I can't remember if it was as far back as the EU elections last May. Maybe they are delivering them in dribs and drabs depending on manpower. TBH I think all flyers from politicians are point scoring in one form or another ;). Personally I was glad to be educated about PESCO, which I had not heard about previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Excessive postering, as in Crowe’s case, makes me much less inclined to vote for that candidate. It’s extremely unkind to the environment and also takes the public for fools. We’re not so dumb that we need to see your face on every lamppost on Taylor’s Hill to know that you’re running for election. And his nonsense about getting the bypass built is also patronising. He hasn’t shown any particular interest in it in all the years he’s been on the council.

now we have to endure his face at every damned bus stop in the city, apparently he's just hired 10 vans to travel the city or park them up along roadsides now too with his face plastered all over them

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

pure.conya wrote: »
    now we have to endure his face at every damned bus stop in the city, apparently he's just hired 10 vans to travel the city or park them up along roadsides now too with his face plastered all over them

He's spending big.
    Lots of dosh going on Facebook ads too!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I drove out to Claregalway today and counted 35 posters for Crowe between the Galway Plate and the lights in Claregalway. Probably the same number if you're driving the other way. The sheer waste is enough for me to not even consider him for a preference, never mind his politics.

Grealish will love that poll. Nobody will say a word about him till polling day and he’ll go around telling everyone he’s under serious pressure. His Healy Rae esque attendance record and his racism will be forgotten and he’ll have another five years in Dublin doing nothing.

Yep he’s already at this. One of his canvassers called to my cousin tonight, who dislikes him almost as much as me, aul guff he’s in a real fight to keep his seat etc cousin mentions racist comments, they were “legitimate questions not racism that’s just the media”.

Cousin apparently said in a slagging way, sure what’s the point of him keeping the seat anyway, he only votes slightly more often than the Healy raes. Think they got the idea at that stage and headed away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Mike Cubbard on the Tonight show.
    Making a big deal about the posters or lack thereof.
    Then again, if I remember his old posters, they were terrible. He looked like the guy who always forgot his homework copy in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Then again, if I remember his old posters, they were terrible. He looked like the guy who always forgot his homework copy in school.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭lion_bar

Hasn't heard of the 'Reuse' step in waste management?

lion_bar wrote: »
    Hasn't heard of the 'Reuse' step in waste management?

he has actually because I think I heard he got reusable flags to promote himself

• Registered Users Posts: 25,118 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Public meeting next Tuesday
    your chance to meet the candidates to discuss their party's policy on housing, healthcare, education, transport, work, direct provision and public services.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ge2020-galway-west-east-candidate-hustings-tickets-92037664131

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

pure.conya wrote: »

Nothing tackles Galway's congestion issues like another 10 vans on the road... :o

He has had a large van parked up at the prom for the last couple of weeks. Haven't seen the man himself make an appearance though, while the Greens and Soc Dems have been out talking to people and getting engaged in some healthy debates beyond "BUILD THE BYPASS NOW".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Is there any resource out there where you can read non-partisan info about the candidates? Sorta like this, but more useful?

https://www.thejournal.ie/election-2020/constituency/65/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Nothing tackles Galway's congestion issues like another 10 vans on the road... :o

He has had a large van parked up at the prom for the last couple of weeks. Haven't seen the man himself make an appearance though, while the Greens and Soc Dems have been out talking to people and getting engaged in some healthy debates beyond "BUILD THE BYPASS NOW".

Some really sensible and practical initiatives here. The first three are aimed at improving the flow of “cars” would you believe. Yours is covered under "Rationalise distribution and deliveries".

https://www.smartertransport.uk/smarter-cambridge-transport-urban-congestion-enquiry/

WhichCandidate is a ‘voting advice application’
    It aims to inform voters about the policy positions of candidates and to help voters to make a more informed voting decision.
    http://www.whichcandidate.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭spurshero

I see Catherine Connolly is 6 to 4 to get elected . She was 1 to 5 last week . Looks like either the green or soc Democrat will take her out .

ChewyLouie wrote: »

He is out canvassing - called to our house at the weekend, but I didn't have time to interrogate him.

zell12 wrote: »
    PaddyPower seat odds 21/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.13
    Grealish Noel 1.14
    Kyne Séan 1.20
    Connolly Catherine 1.25
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.57
    Crowe Ollie 2.50
    O'Reilly Pauline 3.50
    Cubbard Mike 4.00
    Farrell Mairead 7.00
    McNelis Niall 9.00
    O'Tuathail Niall 13.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 26.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00
    PaddyPower odds 30/01/2020
    Cuív Ó Éamonn 1.13
    Naughton Hildegarde 1.20
    Grealish Noel 1.30
    Kyne Séan 1.53
    O'Tuathail Niall 1.80
    O'Reilly Pauline 1.91
    Crowe Ollie 2.10
    Connolly Catherine 2.50
    Farrell Mairead 4.00
    Cubbard Mike 8.00
    McNelis Niall 21.00
    Loughnane Joe 34.00
    O'Flaherty Darragh 34.00
    Burke Conor 41.00
    O Corcoran Cormac 51.00

Could people not use coloured fonts and small text please? It's hard to read for many people, and for people with visual problems can be impossible to read.

zell12 wrote: »
    Public meeting next Tuesday
    your chance to meet the candidates to discuss their party's policy on housing, healthcare, education, transport, work, direct provision and public services.
    https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ge2020-galway-west-east-candidate-hustings-tickets-92037664131

only to be told afterwards that obviously we would have loved to implement our election proposals but the previous governments have left the country in such a state that we need to be realistic as we move forward. give it 3.5 years and you'll be voting for the sun moon and stars again

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

spurshero wrote: »
    I see Catherine Connolly is 6 to 4 to get elected . She was 1 to 5 last week . Looks like either the green or soc Democrat will take her out .

According the bookies who have changed their tune considerably...it's a very hard constituency to read and the recent poll has confused things even more. I think she will scrape in.

Advertisement